Golden Globe Reactions

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

anonymous wrote:"Ricky will not be invited back to host the show next year, for sure," a member of the HFPA tells me, adding that Ricky's relentlessly mean shtick could have even larger consequences. "For sure any movie he makes he can forget about getting nominated. He humiliated the organization last night and went too far with several celebrities whose representatives have already called to complain."
Hmm, I wonder whose representatives called. Those who weren't there or those who were sitting there and not amused.

Watch the Globes try to smooth it over next year by getting John Travolta to host, give Tom Cruise the Cecil B. DeMille Award and Best Actor in a Comedy to Mel Gibson presented by Barbra Streisand.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't care what they thought, he was damned funny. He made jokes about things people already think. Too many celebrities have thin skins for that line of work.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Here's an interesting article:
Oh Ricky, You Weren't Fine: Gervais Banned From Globes Hosting Duties?

By Rob Shuter

Ricky Gervais trashed Angelina Jolie, Charlie Sheen, Hugh Hefner, Mel Gibson, God, Tom Cruise (and the list goes on) last night when he hosted the Golden Globes, but the joke that got him in the most trouble was when he made fun Philip Berk, the current head of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA for short).

"Ricky will not be invited back to host the show next year, for sure," a member of the HFPA tells me, adding that Ricky's relentlessly mean shtick could have even larger consequences. "For sure any movie he makes he can forget about getting nominated. He humiliated the organization last night and went too far with several celebrities whose representatives have already called to complain."

This opening monologue at Sunday's ceremony set the tone with Ricky announcing, "It's going to be a night of partying and heavy drinking -- or as Charlie Sheen calls it, breakfast."

Next the British comedian went after Angelina who was sitting at table one and not laughing when he said, "It seems like everything this year was 3-dimensional -- except for the characters in The Tourist," Gervais said. "I haven't even seen The Tourist -- who has?"

However, the remark that upset the most attendees was when he described Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor's performances in 'I Love You, Phillip Morris' as "two heterosexual actors pretending to be gay. So, the complete opposite of some famous Scientologists, then." The not-so-subtle dig at Tom Cruise and John Travolta (we can presume) was met with boos and groans.

Humble Pie was soon served up by Cruise's 'Tropic Thunder' co-star, Robert Downey, Jr., after Gervais made fun of him for his long-conquered troubles with the law and drug addiction.

"Aside from the fact that it's been hugely mean-spirited with mildly sinister undertones, I'd say the vibe of the show's pretty good so far, wouldn't you?" Downey asked.

After that, Gervais knew he had lost the crowd and his few remaining appearances on stage were met with stifled laughs and stern faces. A popular Twitter phrase during this part of the show: "Where's Ricky Gervais?"

To make matters worse, Ricky's last words in the telecast were, "Thank God for making me an atheist." Smooth move!

"Ricky blew it big time. It's one thing to make fun of celebrities but it's another to make them totally uncomfortable," an insider tells me. "People in that room were furious but had to sit and smile because the camera's were on them. It really says something when several people who attended said they would have felt safer with Kathy Griffin hosting."

Ricky, if you're going to be naughty, don't forget to also be NICE!
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

What flipp said. The GGs were boring.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I think Okri meant that this was the first time in five years that he had watched the GGs, not Glee.

Honestly, I was thrilled for Chris Colfer, a moment of sheer joy and surprise for the actor. He's also been wonderful this season and there are some real-world implications to the success of this kind of character today. However, Glee has definitely had some problems in its sophomore season.

I'm surprised that Melissa Leo seems to be steamrolling her way through the awards circuit. I had thought that category was a little bit more up in the air. That said, I think her work in The Fighter completely warrants this kind of attention. She is exactly the kind of actress for which this category was originally created. But, doesn't she come off a little bit, how shall I say it for lack of a better word, trailer in her speeches?

Edited By flipp525 on 1295284830
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Okri wrote:
Kova wrote:* Jane Lynch and Chris Colfer (sp. ?) seem like very nice people, but good lord Glee is dreadful. Every time they started playing that shrill version of Don't Stop Believing I scrambled for the mute button.
YEP.

I watched for the first time in five years, and I remembered why I stopped.
Glee has only been on for about a year and a half.

I like Glee as a guilty pleasure. They shouldn't have won again.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Kova wrote:* Jane Lynch and Chris Colfer (sp. ?) seem like very nice people, but good lord Glee is dreadful. Every time they started playing that shrill version of Don't Stop Believing I scrambled for the mute button.
YEP.

I watched for the first time in five years, and I remembered why I stopped.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

anonymous wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:The most obnoxious winner was the no-name director of Toy Story 3, asking presenters Justin Bieber and Hailee Steinfeld if they were even born when the original Toy Story came out.
That's Lee Unkrich and I fail to see how it's obnoxious. It was an amusing joke.
It's reverse ageism. What would he have said if Jane Fonda had been the presenter, that it was like getting an award from his grandmother?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Big Magilla wrote:The most obnoxious winner was the no-name director of Toy Story 3, asking presenters Justin Bieber and Hailee Steinfeld if they were even born when the original Toy Story came out.
That's Lee Unkrich and I fail to see how it's obnoxious. It was an amusing joke.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I thought Melissa Leo's speech was an improvement over the one she gave at the BFC awards on Friday night. It was rambling but obviously from the heart. You can't really fault that.

The most obnoxious winner was the no-name director of Toy Story 3, asking presenters Justin Bieber and Hailee Steinfeld if they were even born when the original Toy Story came out.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Mister Tee wrote:(and, by my quick scan of the predictions, only Italiano so much as picked to place).
And I was even going to make it my number 1 choice, but then I thought that Biutiful had a popular star and a more important international reputation.

I haven't seen In a Better World yet (though it has opened in Italy), but if one reads what it's about and where it's set one immediately realizes that it's perfect for the Globes even more than for the Oscars.
Kova
Graduate

Post by Kova »

* In terms of building suspense leading into the Oscars, I was cheered somewhat by the clear enthusiasm over Bening's win--as I recall, it was a noticeably more robust reaction than that for Portman. She has a very realistic shot at breaking the Firth/Portman/Bale/Leo block (aside from a Supporting Actress wildcard...Steinfeld, maybe).

* The speeches were mostly solid, though Leo comes across as a tad daffy (I appreciated Helena Bonham-Carter's "WTF" expression at one point during Leo's rambling).

* I definitely enjoyed Gervais. The only time he might have crossed the line was during Tim Allen's intro...it must've been tough to walk out onto the stage after that one.

* Jane Lynch and Chris Colfer (sp. ?) seem like very nice people, but good lord Glee is dreadful. Every time they started playing that shrill version of Don't Stop Believing I scrambled for the mute button.

Edited By Kova on 1295247018
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

dws1982 wrote:For the first time in about fifteen years, I didn't watch. I just couldn't work up the interest. I checked the winners off and on from my phone, but I've never been less interested in an Oscar race. I'm still trying to figure out exactly why. I don't get to the theatres much, but I still try to go when I can, and still try to catch things via Netflix. I like the Best Picture frontrunner. I'm fine with it winning. But I just can't make myself care much about the awards this year.

But I am hoping that the Firth/Portman/Bale/Leo foursome gets derailed at the SAG awards just to make things interesting. Something like that could get my interest piqued again.
You took the exact same words right out of my mouth. I have absolutely no enthusiasm for any of the awards anymore. Must be because I'm getting VERY old now with more important life issues taking precedent.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

- The winners, overall, were decent.

- Though I don't begrudge Chris Colfer and Jane Lynch winning, Glee didn't deserve Best Comedy/Musical. Modern Family is a much superior show.

- I'm glad the word FOCKERS was only mentioned ONCE during the De Niro tribute. And watching that montage just made the existence of Little Fockers 10 times more sadder.

- My favorite moment of the night was Tilda Swinton having to utter the words: "Jennifer Love Hewitt".

- Hailee Steinfeld is taller than Justin Bieber. Hahaha. Cute.

- The producer of The Kids Are All Right should've started off his speech by saying DUUUUHHHH.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I guess what I mean to say is, assuming The Social Network score probably won't get nominated just because it's not typically what Oscar goes for is sort of like assuming Black Swan won't get nominated for Picture/Director for the same reasons -- the early heats have shown it to be a lot stronger candidate than it may have seemed on paper.

But, I could be wrong, and eat crow.

Return to “83rd Predictions and Precursors”