Golden Globe Reactions

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Okri wrote:AMPAS composers are notoriously cliquey and that hurts. Desplat had nominateable scores for three consecutive years before they went for him. I think the fact that Reznor is the Nine Inch Nails frontman who's most famous song lyric is "I wanna fuck you like an animal" is a little out there for them.

They did go for The Hurt Locker, though, and this score is slightly similar.
They also passed over Danny Elfman so many times that he said if there was a category for Best Danny Elfman Score he doubted he'd be nominated.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

AMPAS composers are notoriously cliquey and that hurts. Desplat had nominateable scores for three consecutive years before they went for him. I think the fact that Reznor is the Nine Inch Nails frontman who's most famous song lyric is "I wanna fuck you like an animal" is a little out there for them.

They did go for The Hurt Locker, though, and this score is slightly similar.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Agreed that the Leo win was a big gain for her. I thought Amy Adams seemed more like a Globe choice.

I've seen a lot of predictors -- here and elsewhere -- still believing The Social Network won't even be Oscar-NOMINATED for its score. And I wasn't sure what I was missing -- yeah, it's not a "traditional" choice, but it is attached to the Best Picture frontrunner, and has scored about as well with the precursors as you can. Do folks still think, after tonight, it isn't going to make it?

Did anyone predict the Foreign Film winner?

Kudos to those who were able to correctly predict Giamatti in the night's most up-in-the-air acting race. His win definitely confirms the trend that, even in off-years for comedy, Globe voters often still try to go with the classiest option.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The odd thing about the Globes has always been how I find myself rooting against people I'd like to win the Oscar, because my interest at this point is simply maintaining some level of suspense. If tonight's template is repeated at the Oscars, I'll be fine with it (probably more than most recent years). But unless there's some level of doubt, the whole exercise gets to feel a little shallow. I think dws is right: if SAG doesn't shy away from at least one of Firth/Portman/Bale/Leo, this TV round of prelims will have succeeded in deadening the Oscars another time.

That said...I thought nearly all the winners gave fine speeches. The idea that Bale is some unlikable prick is going to be hard to sustain after a speech like that. Firth, as I said in inaugurating this thread, absolutely killed. Fincher I found interesting -- he's said that Bob Fosse was something of an influence on him, and his semi-pessimistic speech reminded me of Fosse's Oscar speech all those years ago, the way he simultaneously embraced and pushed away the praise.

The HFPA, confronted with its ghastly comedy nominees, took the most honorable way out by picking Giammatti (so, BJ, it was, happily, the Colin Farrell route this time), and Giamatti responded with a solid speech. The only other suspense-driven categories on the film side were the music awards -- which for all we know will have zero effect on the Oscars -- and foreign film, where they opted for something none of us have seen (and, by my quick scan of the predictions, only Italiano so much as picked to place).

The DeNiro speech was a real rarity --an honorary winner with one-liners on the teleprompter? Some of his bits fell flat, but at least a few were pretty strong.

You could say the same for Gervais, who really pushed the edge in his opener and scored a couple of beauties -- but when the jokes weren't as good, the mean spirit curdled things.

Very cool ovation-reaction line from Michael Douglas. Obviously prepared, but hitting the perfect note.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Like others have said, there were few surprises here. I did think that this would be a loss for Melissa Leo, as the HFPA has in the past passed over frontrunners for bigger names, but this puts her far ahead of her competition. To me, she is the biggest winner of the night.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

For the first time in about fifteen years, I didn't watch. I just couldn't work up the interest. I checked the winners off and on from my phone, but I've never been less interested in an Oscar race. I'm still trying to figure out exactly why. I don't get to the theatres much, but I still try to go when I can, and still try to catch things via Netflix. I like the Best Picture frontrunner. I'm fine with it winning. But I just can't make myself care much about the awards this year.

But I am hoping that the Firth/Portman/Bale/Leo foursome gets derailed at the SAG awards just to make things interesting. Something like that could get my interest piqued again.

Edited By dws1982 on 1295238681
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

If I wasn't bored before, I certainly am now. Glee winning best comedy pretty much ruined the night.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

- Trent Reznor, David Fincher and Colin Firth had great speeches, while Robert DeNiro's had some WTF moments.

- Can Ricky Gervais please host every Golden Globes and Oscar telecast from now on?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I thought it was a good show, fast-paced with very few off moments. The film awards went mostly as expected, but the TV series awards were surprises for me.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I'll say more after the show ends, but I wanted to get this in now:

The difference between Colin Firth's speech tonight and the one Friday (one of the few moments I watched of the Broadcast show) is so vast you'd almost guess he was doing a pool-hall hustle -- setting the audience up to expect nothing and then whamming it out of the park.

Return to “83rd Predictions and Precursors”