Best Supporting Actress

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Thre's a time and a place. And there should never be a time and a place when and where Me;issa Leo wis an award. If Academy members are shocked and offended, they only have themselves to blame for annointing the least worthy of the 5 nominees.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

In Italy it was distinctively heard too - I guess it was censored only in the US. The practice of the "few seconds delay" isn't used much in Europe, but yes, it allows for a kind of censorship, which is never a good thing - especially when applied to something as harmless as this.

I know that they want their show to be "classy", but then they should worry about other aspects of it.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

It's not as if any one of us is projecting his perception of her performance on the way he looks at her speech. We're so objective round here, aren't we?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

It's not that she said fuck. It's that her entire speech was the most forced and fabricated I've ever seen.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

thelostmind wrote:Actually, up here in Canada the word was not bleeped out at all. Came through in all its glory lol. She used the word "fucking" and it was the only one, not twice.

It was probably about the only interesting thing in the entire long, boring show. Tactless woman, I would preferred to have seen Vanessa Redgrave up there but alas, she did not get nominated.
The word was not censored here too. Heard it loud and clear.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Snick's Guy wrote:Melissa Leo sank to a new low. It wasn't the fact that she dropped the F bomb, it was that is seemed rather calculated, and a desperate attempt to draw attention to herself (she is cut from the same mold as Sally Kirkland).
Exactly. She's either the stupidest supporting actress Oscar winner in history or the most calculating. I can't believe she's that stupid.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The audience in the Kodak heard the words whether the audience at home did or not. I think what people are complaining about is that, unlike other major awards broadcasts, the Oscars are supposed to be the classiest affair this side of a cotillion. They want their winners to be smart, witty and least of all crass. She did come off a little crass, but it didn't bother me. Not much about dirty language bothers me unless it's used in a derogatory manner, which is not what it sounded like to me.

And the FCC got its hand slapped by the courts and a ruling was handed down saying that levying such fines is an inappropriate measure. A lot of people surmised this would mean that broadcast television would somehow sneak its way out into more crude dialogue and scenes on TV, but so far that hasn't happened. The reason broadcast TV is losing is that it's not a very good reflection of what people are like in real life. Comedies are so sanitized these days that they are almost fantasies. Sure, that's what television has almost always been, but the best shows on television are all on cable channels where "decency" isn't worried about and honesty is given free reign.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
thelostmind
Graduate

Post by thelostmind »

Actually, up here in Canada the word was not bleeped out at all. Came through in all its glory lol. She used the word "fucking" and it was the only one, not twice.

It was probably about the only interesting thing in the entire long, boring show. Tactless woman, I would preferred to have seen Vanessa Redgrave up there but alas, she did not get nominated.
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

Melissa Leo sank to a new low. It wasn't the fact that she dropped the F bomb, it was that is seemed rather calculated, and a desperate attempt to draw attention to herself (she is cut from the same mold as Sally Kirkland).

It will be difficult for me going forward to have any respect for her, or even have any interest in her future film roles.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

There's a government agency called the Federal Communications Commission that - among many other things - monitors the content of radio and network (though not cable) television for "indecency violations". That means, very little nudity and no cursing on television. If there's a breach and someone complains, then the network could be fined hundreds of thousands of dollars. There have always been standards and practices, as they're called, regarding television content, but not until the Bush administration signed the Broadcast Decency Enforcement Act into law were the penalties so stringent.

So it's understandable that the network didn't appreciate Leo dropping the F-bomb. But it's also irrelevant because they managed to mute the word out. No one, at least in America, heard the word. You could see her saying 'fuck', but you couldn't hear her. The issue now is how everyone's carrying on about this. It's not "We heard her say the word", because no one did. The issue is "Never mind that we didn't hear it. She shouldn't have said it at all. Not on the Academy Awards!" Okay, perhaps Leo should have shown more poise in her acceptence, but where did this silly indignation come from? Aren't curse words edited out in other awards broadcasts? I distinctly recall the network putting other people on mute during the Golden Globes, and it ruffled no feathers. How did the Oscar broadcast become so sacrosanct?

There were many offensive things on that broadcast, the primary one being the broadcast itself. You don't have to say "fuck" to give offense.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Uri wrote:Anyway, according to the newly canonized version of history, George VI was far more classless then Leo – he said "fuck, fuck, fuck" while she uttered only one Fuck.
Not any more. The film is being re-released in a PG version with the rant either softened or completely obliterated so the Weinstein Company can make even more money. To their credit, Oscar winners Hooper, Seidler and Firth are quite upset about it. Firth even used his time backstage with reporters to denounce it.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The word, which she uttered twice, was censored. There's a few seconds broadcast delay which allows the censors time to zap the offending word but we could all read her lips. She said something like "this is so different than two years ago when Kate won. I was fucked. Look at all those fucking people up there" (the balcony).

It wasn't shocking in the least. It was out of place and offensive. It also appeared calculated to make everyone talk about the moment to make her win the highlight of the show and the Monday morning reporting.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Anyway, according to the newly canonized version of history, George VI was far more classless then Leo – he said "fuck, fuck, fuck" while she uttered only one Fuck. And not as loudly.

Are we allowed to use "fuck" here, or is offending to all the dainty fine ladies and gentlemen of this board?
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Reza wrote:Bad language (particularly the F word) is banned on network tv but allowed on the cable channels in America. I was surprised the network didn't censor that word. I suppose it can't be done during a live broadcast.
It definitely can't be censored on live television. But I mean, why should it be? I see terrible things on television - American television and not only - and that F word (which I guess everyone in the US says in his or her daily life) doesn't sound that unbearable honestly. Plus, why allowed on cable channels then? American mysteries.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

ITALIANO wrote:Don't tell me that one never hears bad language on American live television... I mean, I sincerely hope for America that it happens as often as in the rest of the world!

Loved the whole thing - from Kirk Douglas appearing on stage to her confused, crazy speech. In such a flat evening, it was at least lively.

I agree.

Don't know why everyone seems to be coming down so hard on Leo (and I was one of the few who didn't particularly care for her performance in that film). Yes she's probably trailer trash and acts like one but so what? She did bring humour to the dull awards.

Bad language (particularly the F word) is banned on network tv but allowed on the cable channels in America. I was surprised the network didn't censor that word. I suppose it can't be done during a live broadcast.

Edited By Reza on 1298901364

Return to “83rd Nominations and Winners”