Best Cinematography

rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Okri wrote:I thought Black Swan was the best nominee.

Yeah, but according to some Libatique only deserves to win if it was the best work of his career. Luckily for him, he has done far fewer films than Deakins so there is less to compare against.

Perhaps that is why Pfister won...although I think his work in THE PRESTIGE is his best.

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1298864530
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I thought Black Swan was the best nominee.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Jim20 wrote:Couldn't agree more. Deakins' work on True Grit wasn't even close to his best.

I cannot stand this sentiment. When it looked like Meryl was going to win for JULIE AND JULIA, folks around here kept saying "She only deserves to win when she gives a great performance." Next thing you know we have Sandra Bullock winning for THE BLIND SIDE.

The Oscar is not about whether Deakins did the best work of his career, it is about whether he did the best of the year. In my opinion, the answer is yes. I fucking loved INCEPTION, but it did not deserve to win this award.

It is interesting that this is the second year where both the Set and Cinematography Oscars went to films with heavy CGI involved in those two elements. I guess traditional sets and cinematography just cannot compete with the flashier stuff computers can do.

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1298863955
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
matthew
Graduate

Post by matthew »

It's a pity. It would be nice to see Deakins win, but not for this film (I think he should have picked up the award for Kundun and Jesse James...)

I would have gone for The Social Network.
matthew
Graduate

Post by matthew »

Johnny Guitar wrote:A friend of mine posted on Facebook something like, 'Yet again, Academy voters think cinematography means scenery.'
That comment would be even more true if True Grit won...
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

Couldn't agree more. Deakins' work on True Grit wasn't even close to his best. 2007's Assassination of Jesse James or 1994's Shawshank Redemption would have been appropriate. He's still the best-working DP today, so there's always next year.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I didn't mind the cinematography for Inception, actually.
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

A friend of mine posted on Facebook something like, 'Yet again, Academy voters think cinematography means scenery.'
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Academy voters should not be allowed to vote. Idiots.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

OscarGuy wrote:Angela never won an Emmy.
Yes you're right. She's lost 18 times and has yet to win.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I can't see any other category it could win in at this point unless it picks up one of the sound awards
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Out of INCEPTION's 8 nominations, I want it to win all of them except screenplay and this one. I was really hoping Deakins would finally get recognized. I guess this means TRUE GRIT is headed for a shut-out.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Angela never won an Emmy.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Ok so it took Angela Lansbury and Genie Francis years to win their Emmys. Wonder what Roger Deakins is doing next?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I'm happy for Wally Pfister. But goddammit, when is Roger Deakins gonna win?!?!?

Return to “83rd Nominations and Winners”