83rd Academy Awards Nominations

mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

The support for 'Kids' is strong. If Bening gets the SAG again, she'll have 2 trophies and 2 Globes to her name. Win or lose there, I still think Bening's gonna take Oscar in the end. In fact, both Natalie and Halie might fall by the wayside.

Edited By mashari on 1295981690
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

So, what about Benning´s Oscar chances this year?
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

The fact that Steinfeld was better placed doesn´t neccesarily mean that she is a lock.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

OscarGuy wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:She may well win, but in the long-term maybe it would have been best for her career to have been placed in the Lead category and not win than to win in Supporting?
Ask Anna Paquin about that. She parlayed her Supporting Actress win into a phenomenal career, mostly on television, but she has an Emmy nod, so she's not a flash-in-the-pan. I don't think this will be a Tatum O'Neal-type career flame-out. We'll see what happens in a few years, I guess.
You could also ask Keisha Castle-Hughes.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Nolan´s snub is unjustifiable.
As for the rest, I really hoped a nod for Lesley Manville.
To those who bet for a Steinfeld win, let´s see what´s going on at the Sag first.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Eric wrote:
flipp525 wrote:
Eric wrote:You are dead to me, flipp.

I'm still Black Swan's bitch though!

That just tells me your promiscuity knows no bounds.

Well, we already knew that.
rolo wrote:Oh another observation: With Jesse Eisenberg's nomination, Emma Stone is now the only main lead cast member in Zombieland to not have an Oscar nom. HAH!

She'll get in next year for her lead performance in The Help.

Edited By flipp525 on 1295977795
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

flipp525 wrote:
That just tells me your promiscuity knows no bounds.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I have to say, we really should tone down our rhetoric in characterizing people who do not share our opinions as idiots (except those dolts who cheered when The Blind Side got in last year, THOSE are inbred slack-jawed tasteless yokels who deserve to get a lobotomy :p).

Oh another observation: With Jesse Eisenberg's nomination, Emma Stone is now the only main lead cast member in Zombieland to not have an Oscar nom. HAH!
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

A few on-further-reflection thoughts:

Hope Diane Warren enjoys her Globe. For another year, she'll not be winning an Oscar.

But Julie Taymor's streak continues! Costume designers will be flocking to work with her.

It was a medium year for SAG -- 17 matches out of 20, weak compared to the 19-of-20's we've seen. Two we singled out as vulnerable that very morning -- Swank and Kunis -- are among the missing (Duvall is the other). Sadly, they did foretell the buy-in to Steinfeld's fraud.

They're saying it on other sites: How long till the directing category is expanded to ten? The moaning over Nolan recalls the mishegas over Spielberg decades back. In each case, there've been angry accusations of AMPAS resisting youth and innovation...when, really, it comes down to directors preferring serious subject matter (even if it extends to solemn and dreary) over popcorn entertainment. Nolan, like Spielberg, began with a serious movie (Memento/Sugarland Express), but each made his bones with blockbusters. If Nolan moves on/back to something with more intellectual respectability, the "snubs" will suddenly cease, as they did for Spielberg.
Mike Kelly
Temp

Post by Mike Kelly »

The Social Network, The Fighter and The King's Speech are the only three nominees to have also been nominated in the Director, Screenplay, Editing and Acting categories. Interestingly, the remaining precursors just may honor The Social Network (DGA), The Fighter (SAG Ensemble) and The King's Speech (BAFTA Best Film). That actually would be the best scenerio for keeping this year's race a little bit interesting.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

rolo wrote:P.S., I love your new avatar Flipp.

Thanks...best moment of the Golden Globes.

Edited By flipp525 on 1295975913
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

flipp525 wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:THE KING'S SPEECH did not have the best editing of this year or any year in the past 100+ years of film history.

That's a completely subjective position, of course.

Uh...yeah, but some things are just obvious. If THE SOCIAL NETWORK was nominated for its costumes, would you just accept the Oscars viewpoint or would you thinkg "What fucking costumes?"

I enjoyed THE KING'S SPEECH, and frankly do not understand the hatred toward it around here, but it had some of the most pedestrian editing I have seen nominated in this category...perhaps ever.

The tech folks have been serving up a bit of W.T.F. lately. Whether it is REVENGE OF THE SITH or TRON LEGACY being snubbed for visual effects or DISTRICT 9 being ignored in both sound categories, they have really been throwing me for a loop in the past few years. With PRECIOUS last year and now THE KING'S SPEECH, they seem to just be rubber-stamping the Best Picture nominees.

Clearly the older contingent of editors need to be put out to pasture.

P.S., I love your new avatar Flipp.

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1295975083
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

You are dead to me, flipp.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Alright, enough complaining about what was excluded. Only happy thoughts below.

Much like Sabin, I am very, very happy about WINTER'S BONE Best Picture nomination as well as its three other noms.
I am also very happy to see TRUE GRIT with the second most nominations and its director nom.

I am actually fine with all the Best Picture nominees. I thought some good films were excluded, but there are no stinkers like THE BLIND SIDE among the ten.

I am happy for the acting nominees from smaller films snubbed by SAG: Bardem, Williams, and Weaver.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

rolotomasi99 wrote:THE KING'S SPEECH did not have the best editing of this year or any year in the past 100+ years of film history.

That's a completely subjective position, of course.

I guess I'm in the board minority in thinking that The King's Speech was one of the best films of the year. I went in thinking it was going to be an absolute chore to sit through and was pleasantly surprised by how much I really liked it. If Christian Bale hadn't come around, I don't see how the Academy could deny Geoffrey Rush another Oscar for a thoughtful, sensitive performance that I thought stole the entire film.

It also helped that I saw it at the Arclight Theater in Hollywood. One of the most enjoyable and comfortable theater experiences I can honestly remember.

Edited By flipp525 on 1295974284

Return to “83rd Nominations and Winners”