Tenured

Post by Eric »

Best case scenario:
Hereafter
Inception
Scott Pilgrim vs the World
Shutter Island
Tron: Legacy

Don't think the effects shots in Shutter Island (suggestive tho they are) are really prominent or frequent enough to garner attention though.

Likely list (never underestimate how much these guys love animals and critters):
Alice in Wonderland
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
Inception
Tron: Legacy

It's a shame neither The Social Network nor Black Swan could even get on the shortlist, but again highlights the nominating committee's propensity for selecting work that stands at the center of the screen for the entire running time, screaming "I am the reason this movie was made, bitches!"

Edited By Eric on 1292089962
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Of note, there are no Animated films in this year's list. Last year, we had both Coraline and Disney's Christmas Carol
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

What could earn Scott Pilgrim a nomination is depending on how many members of the VFX branch are also video game geeks from the '80s. If so, you could see it getting recognition for that.

I'm thinking that Iron Man 2 might not be as much of a lock as we might have once thought.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I think TRON: Legacy and Inception are locked in for the nomination. Iron Man 2 and The Deathly Hallows Part 1 are the next in line. The rest will fight for the last spot. Right now, I'm going with Narnia but I'm also hoping for Scott Pilgrim but Hereafter's stunning recreation of the tsunami could earn it lots of votes.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The Original BJ wrote:But I'm very interested to see what TRON: Legacy has up its sleeve. From the trailer, it certainly looks like the most-effects candidate. And, of course, a lot will ride on how well-liked/successful the movie is, which we know little about at this point.
Well, the trade reviews have been out for a while, and they seem to be of the "cool to look at it but stupid" variety. However resistant older voters are supposed to be to Inception, I think it'll be far more up their alley than a geek movie like Tron. (And I have credentials to speak on this, being one of the few who went to see the original flop during its theatrical run)
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I don't think anything is a lock to win yet.

Inception's effects were really cool, and integrated very well into the story. Based on the most-acclaimed-film-usually-wins clause, it's a strong candidate.

But I'm very interested to see what TRON: Legacy has up its sleeve. From the trailer, it certainly looks like the most-effects candidate. And, of course, a lot will ride on how well-liked/successful the movie is, which we know little about at this point.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Yeah, but that freezy breath was some of the worst I've ever seen.

I think Tron Legacy is probably a lock for this one, Mister Tee.

Quiet prayer for Scott Pilgrim.

Edited By Sabin on 1292029830
"How's the despair?"
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I thought turning Arnie Hammer into twins in The Social Network was pretty damn impressive.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Does it really matter? The winner is Inception

Beverly Hills, CA — The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced that 15 films have been selected as semifinalists for Achievement in Visual Effects for the 83rd Academy Awards®.

The films are listed below in alphabetical order:

“Alice in Wonderland”

“The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader”

“Clash of the Titans”

“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1”

“Hereafter”

“Inception”

“Iron Man 2”

“The Last Airbender”

“Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief”

“Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time”

“Scott Pilgrim vs the World”

“Shutter Island”

“The Sorcerer’s Apprentice”

“Tron: Legacy”

“Unstoppable”

In early January, the members of the Academy’s Visual Effects Branch Executive Committee, who selected the semifinalists, will narrow the list to seven.

Return to “83rd Nominations and Winners”