Four Ineligible Scores

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I hadn't counted on True Grit being ineligible, but I had Black Swan. But, it's nice to know what they've declared ineligible, because it makes it much easier to find the traditional score compositions the Academy will love. They wouldn't deny A.R. Rahman, a past winner, a chance at being nominated, so 127 Hours is in. Alexandre Desplat has three eligible scores this year, so he's in for probably The King's Speech since it has Best Picture prospects. Throw in Hans Zimmer and you just have to pick a couple more to fill spots.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

Well, it wouldn't be a year at the Oscars without the Academy's music branch doing something to take out a top contender/change the rules/show their ineptitude each year. Not that I considered The Kids Are All Right or The Fighter top contenders for Best Score, but Black Swan AND True Grit? Now I'll need to think of two other possibilities.

And it's only a matter of time before the music branch considers The Social Network's score "not containing enough percentage of original source material" or "not composed by the artists listed as the composers", yet some hack like Gustavo Santololallo can win his second Oscar in a row and the Academy will actually play a piece he's composed for two other movies for his nomination clip!

Edited By Hollywood Z on 1292939103
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Heaven forbid Trent Reznor or Johnny Greenwood get nominated when douchebags like Eminem and Three Six Mafia become Oscar winners...

I'm not at all surprised about Black Swan. I could barely find threads of score that weren't direct re-interpretations of Tchaikovsky. And they want to make sure voters aren't confused and vote for what they think is original but isn't. It's been a longstanding rule.

Now, what they need to do is work like Foreign Film and other committees have done and actually reconsider their awards. All the music branch has done is exclude exclude exclude. Whether it's the Alan Menken Song rules changes or the Truman Show-style bans (that was the first score like Black Swan's I can remember being excluded despite having excellent original material, which Chicago was the only group that recognized).

Other committees are trying to be inclusive while the music branch is trying to be exclusive.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

BJ, I think part of the score uses "In the Hall of the Mountain King"/is adapted from it.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

DP's Tron score is traditional and anonymous enough in the Zimmer vein to actually be a possibility, if enough BP contenders are taken out of the game.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Still crossing my fingers for Daft Punk making it in for their outstanding TRON: Legacy score.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Mister Tee wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:Just out of curiosity...I've heard a lot of murmurings about Social Network's score being ruled ineligible...why would that be? Isn't MOST of the music in the movie the score?
I think people just have the impression any time there's a cool/forward-looking score -- like There Will Be Blood or Social Network -- the music branch will find a way to disqualify it so they don't have to suffer the embarrassment of simply failing to nominate it.
Amen! How could they possibly nominate people like Jonny Greenwood or Trent Reznor for such a prestigious award?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The Original BJ wrote:Just out of curiosity...I've heard a lot of murmurings about Social Network's score being ruled ineligible...why would that be? Isn't MOST of the music in the movie the score?
I think people just have the impression any time there's a cool/forward-looking score -- like There Will Be Blood or Social Network -- the music branch will find a way to disqualify it so they don't have to suffer the embarrassment of simply failing to nominate it.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Not too surprised about the Black Swan ruling -- I recognized plenty of music from Swan Lake -- but the work Clint Mansell did do was characteristically impressive, and it's a bummer he'll be excluded.

Just out of curiosity...I've heard a lot of murmurings about Social Network's score being ruled ineligible...why would that be? Isn't MOST of the music in the movie the score?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Silent for now on Social Network.

Academy nixes four score contenders

'Swan,' 'Grit,' 'Kids' and 'Fighter' deemed ineligible
By Jon Burlingame

The scores for four contenders for Academy Awards have run afoul of music-branch rules and are being disqualified from Oscar consideration.
"Black Swan" and "True Grit" have been deemed ineligible as "scores diluted by the use of tracked themes or other pre-existing music," according to sources inside the Academy music-branch executive committee.

"The Kids Are All Right" and "The Fighter" are expected to be disqualified as scores "diminished in impact by the predominant use of songs," another of the Acad's stringent music rules.

Composer Clint Mansell's "Black Swan" score, as largely adapted from Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake," and Carter Burwell's "True Grit," as mostly based on 19th-century hymns, are not sufficiently "original," the committee ruled last week.

"The Kids Are All Right" and "The Fighter" have original scores -- "Kids" by Burwell and "Fighter" by Michael Brook -- but both films are filled with songs, leaving the scores to play second fiddle much of the time.

Alexandre Desplat's "The King's Speech" has been ruled eligible despite some concerns by committee members that key moments of the film feature classical-music excerpts.

Return to “83rd Nominations and Winners”