Four Ineligible Scores

rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Hollywood Z wrote:Found it! Along with the eligible screenplays for both Adapted and Original:

2010 Eligible Best Score and Screenplays
Thank you very much.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

Found it! Along with the eligible screenplays for both Adapted and Original:

2010 Eligible Best Score and Screenplays
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

There is no official list circulated by the Academy, though a lot of sites obtain copies of the Reminder Lists sent to Academy members, so it may be out there somewhere.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Some of you may have already known this, but I was quite shocked.

Of the 248 films eligible for Best Picture this year, only 77 are eligible for a Best Score nomination.

Does anyone know if they make the list of eligible score available online like they do with FX and song?
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

Everyone keeps raving about it, but there were moments of Tron: Legacy's score that reminded me of The Dark Knight's score.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

After watching Tron: Legacy, my number one is Reznor & Ross and my number two is Daft Punk. Awesome score. No chance for a nom. But amazing.

After listening to The Tourist, I fully expect James Newton Howard to grab his third consecutive unsuccessful nomination and his ninth overall. It's very slick.
"How's the despair?"
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

rolotomasi99 wrote:For the real Oscar history buffs: Is Rachel Portman the only woman to be nominated for Original Score? I know she is the only woman to have won, for EMMA. This category definitely needs more female nominees.

Anne Dudley won for The Full Monty.

...And now I'm realizing that this was already answered and far far better indeed. While checking the posts I add the comment without checking if anyone had addressed this.

Edited By HarryGoldfarb on 1293143926
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

For better or for worse, these are the movies that I can see filling in the slots as to where Alice in Wonderland and Black Swan are (though I already feel A.R. Rahman is in for 127 Hours):

- Never Let Me Go; Rachel Portman
- The Next Three Days; Danny Elfman & Alberto Iglesias
- The Tourist; James Newton Howard
- Eat Pray Love; Dario Marianelli
- The Tempest; Elliot Goldenthall
- Biutiful; Gustavo Santololallo
- The Illusionist; Sylvan Chomet
- Secretariat; Nick Glennie-Smith
- Robin Hood; Marc Streitenfeld

But poor Clint Mansell. What does this guy have to do after being shafted for the past decade, despite having composed memorable scores for Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain and Moon?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

(flipp525 @ Dec. 22 2010,11:57)
(Sabin @ Dec. 22 2010,11:50)
Never Let Me Go sounds like a perfect Where the fuck did that come from? nominee.

It's hardly a WTF nominee if you've actually seen it. The score is just hauntingly gorgeous. I think Carey Mulligan and Andrew Garfield showing up in Best Actress and Best Supporting Actor (respectively) would be much more earth-shattering.

I just meant it got mediocre reviews and went away really quickly. On the whole people tend to predict Best Original Score based on the Golden Globe nominees, what's getting nominated for Best Picture, and whatever animation or blockbuster had an especially pretty score. Never Let Me Go doesn't fit that bill. I'm definitely writing it in, and it further encourages me to check it out. Although I did not like Mark Romanek's first film One Hour Photo, his music videos are astonishing.

Edited By Sabin on 1293062870
"How's the despair?"
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

The score to Never Let Me Go is lovely, and a bit of a change of pace for Portman -- usually I can recognize a Portman score at the outset of a film, but I didn't know this was her work until the end credits.

If Never Let Me Go still has one chance at a nomination, I'd say it's this one. And I agree with flipp -- for anyone who's seen the movie, a nomination for this fairly dominant score wouldn't be anything like a shock.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

flipp525 wrote:
Sabin wrote:Never Let Me Go sounds like a perfect Where the fuck did that come from? nominee.
It's hardly a WTF nominee if you've actually seen it. The score is just hauntingly gorgeous. I think Carey Mulligan and Andrew Garfield showing up in Best Actress and Best Supporting Actor (respectively) would be much more earth-shattering.
Many noted the score in the film's initial reviews. Plus the Portman name is likely to attract interest from a branch that has not infrequently nominated based on high-profile composer rather than overall strength of film.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I have a spreadsheet with all the winners and nominees with columns for each category, plus a gender track so I can keep track of male and female nominees and so forth. I had to collect specific film data separately, but that wasn't too hard with imdb (though Karlin/Kymry isn't on imdb anywhere).
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

OscarGuy wrote:I excluded the likes of Diane Warren because she was only nominated in Original Song.

Ann Ronell (The Story of G.I. Joe, Drama/Comedy Score)
Lynn Ahrens (Anastasia, Musical/Comedy Score)
Marsha Karlin (as Tylwyth Kymry: The Baby Maker, Original Song Score)
Anne Dudley (The Full Monty, Musical/Comedy Score)
Marilyn Bergman (Yentl, Original Song Score/Adaptation Score)
Angela Morley (Slipper and the Rose, Original Song Score/Adaptation Score; Little Prince, Original Song Score/Adaptation Score)
Rachel Portman (Emma, Musical/Comedy Score; Cider House Rules, Original Score; Chocolate, Original Score)
Are you like Rain Man or something? How did you do that so quickly? Thanks.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sabin wrote:Never Let Me Go sounds like a perfect Where the fuck did that come from? nominee.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

(rain Bard @ Dec. 22 2010,2:57)
Along with its cinematography, I Am Love pretty much coasts on its John Adams music. However, it's not an original score but a collage of previously-composed pieces. Don't expect it to be nominated.

So it's not an original score? That's good to know.

Never Let Me Go sounds like a perfect Where the fuck did that come from? nominee.

Edited By Sabin on 1293040254
"How's the despair?"

Return to “83rd Nominations and Winners”