The Official Review Thread of 2010

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

ALICE IN WONDERLAND
Cast: Johnny Depp, Mia Wasikowska, Anne Hathaway, Helena Bonham Carter, Crispin Glover, Matt Lucas and the voices of Alan Rickman, Stephen Fry, Michael Sheen, Timothy Spall, Barbara Windsor, Christopher Lee.
Dir: Tim Burton

I'm a huge Tim Burton fan and I love Alice in Wonderland (a childhood favorite of mine) but I'm kind of disappointed in this one. When I first heard of the project I kind of hoped it would be Burton's take on the Lewis Carroll stories so I was taken aback by the fact that it's a sequel of sorts. I was hoping it would still be the dark, weird, wild and funny tale but it wasn't. There are still some great visuals but alas, this is minor Burton, at best.

Oscar Prospects: Art Direction, Costume Design and maybe Visual Effects and Makeup.

Grade: C+
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

DAYBREAKERS
Cast: Ethan Hawke, Willem Dafoe, Sam Neill, Claudia Kravan, Michael Dorman, Damien Garvey, Isabelle Lucas.
Dirs: Michael Spierig and Peter Spierig.

This film has a pretty fantastic concept rich with possibilities: Most of the world has turned into vampires and the human blood supply is dwindling. While the film is quite entertaining, fairly well-made and has an excellent cast, it never quite lives up to the potential of its concept, making this film just entertaining rather than something more which its concept certainly has room for.

Oscar Prospects: None.

Grade: C+

Return to “2010”