Catholics in Media Awards

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:Glee? Which promotes homosexuality as an acceptable lifestyle?? Really?
You might find it interesting to check out the United States Conference of Bishops annual ten best lists which they have been keeping since 1965. They include such films as Rachel, Rachel; Midnight Cowboy and Longtime Companion as well as numerous other sexually charged films.

http://www.usccb.org/movies/topten/topten.shtml
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sister Rose in her own words:

As I consider films for the CineRose Awards, it seems that going to the movies in 2009 continued to be the one form of entertainment people indulged in above others despite the severe economic recession. Cinema profits worldwide are at an all-time high. Several factors seem to account for this: moviegoing is less expensive than family trips; a number of films attract families of all ages; other films tell important stories for our culture to reflect on—and they are told very well.

My criteria for reviewing all films—and bestowing a CineRose Award on some of them once a year—include: the degree to which the filmmaker tells the story through the creative use of image and sound; how well the main character grows as a person and member of the human family; the promotion of the gospel values of human dignity, family and community, justice, peace and fair representation of cultures, races, genders, ages, religious faiths and spiritualities and care for the earth; the artistry and the ability to entertain.

Not all the films meet every criterion, hence the number of roses. Of the more than 250 films released annually, many are released at the end of the year for the awards season (Golden Globes, Oscars). But of the almost 100 films I was able to experience this year, some certainly rise to the top.

Quite a few of these films are based on books and/or true stories. Animated films and documentaries got my attention as well. Obviously, I found much to appreciate at the movies this year.

A Bouquet of Roses

THE BLIND SIDE
PRECIOUS: BASED ON THE NOVEL'PUSH' BY SAPPHIRE
UP
THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG
JULIE & JULIA
THE HURT LOCKER
THE LAST STATION
FOOD, INC.
THE END OF POVERTY

Four Roses

A CHRISTMAS CAROL
AMREEKA
IMAGINE THAT
THE SOLOIST
WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE
THE INFORMANT!

Three Roses

CAPITALISM: A LOVE STORY
THE STONING OF SORAYA M.
MY ONE AND ONLY
STAR TREK

Honorable Mention

Avatar, Brothers, 9, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, Sunshine Cleaning, Knowing, District 9, Goodbye Solo.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Glee? Which promotes homosexuality as an acceptable lifestyle?? Really?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

2010: Sr. Rose Pacatte, FSP / The Hurt Locker / Glee
2009: Lou Gossett Jr. / Doubt / Without a Trace
2007: Dick Van Dyke / In The Valley of Elah / The Nativity Story / Ugly Betty / Champions of Faith
2006: The Chronicles of Narnia / Medium / 7th Heaven
2005: Gregory Hines / Gary Sinise / Hotel Rwanda / Medium
2004: Jane Wyatt / The Passion of the Christ / Joan of Arcadia
2003: Ricardo Montalban / Seabiscuit / American Dreams
2002: Patt & Jack Shea / Changing Lanes / Judging Amy
2001: Hallmark Hall of Fame / Hearts In Atlantis / That's Life
2000: Shelley Fabares & Mike Farrell / Return to Me / The West Wing
1999: Martin Sheen / Down in the Delta / Joan of Arc (miniseries)
1998: Rosemary Clooney / Saving Private Ryan / The Practice
1997: Edie & Lew Wasserman / Ulee's Gold / Homicide: Life on the Streets
1996: Carroll O'Connor / Dead Man Walking / Fly Away Home / Touched By an Angel
1995: Gregory Peck / Mi Familia / Dr Quinn, Medicine Woman
1994: Loretta Young-Louis / Schindler's List / Frasier
1993: Rev. Anthony Scannell, OFM / Benny & Joon / Picket Fences

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”