BAFTA Nominations 2010

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Vanessa Redgrave's award will be presented by Prince William.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Oddly she's never won a Bafta and has only been nominated three times - twice for her film work (Morgan!; Prick Up Your Ears) and once for her TV work (The Gathering Storm) compared to twelve U.S. Oscar and Emmy nominations and three wins for Julia (Oscar); Playing for Time (Emmy) and If These Walls Could Talk 2 (Emmy).
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Big Magilla wrote:This just in:

British actress Vanessa Redgrave is to receive this year's Bafta Fellowship for her contribution to film.
She's simply the greatest established English-language actress of the last half-century.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

This just in:

British actress Vanessa Redgrave is to receive this year's Bafta Fellowship for her contribution to film.

After a career spanning six decades, the Oscar-winning actress will receive the honour on February 21st at the Bafta awards show.

The actress, who won the best supporting actress Oscar for her role in 1977 film Julia, will join other noteworthy recipients of the fellowship award including Charlie Chaplin, Alfred Hitchcock, Steven Spielberg, Sean Connery, Elizabeth Taylor and Julie Christie.

Best known for her Oscar-nominated roles in Howards End, The Bostonians, Mary, Queen of Scots, Isadora and Morgan: A Suitable Case for Treatment, the actress also recently starred in hit TV show Nip/Tuck.

Commenting on the news, the 73-year-old said: "I'm truly delighted, it's such an honour to be recognised in this way."

"Looking through the list of past recipients shows what a wonderful accolade this is, and the fact that Alfred Hitchcock was the very first recipient makes it even more special, as my father made his first film with him."
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Okri wrote:
dws1982 wrote:
dreaMaker wrote:Don't put Gladiator in the same bag with MBFGW and The Hangover... Gladiator has a brilliant screenplay.

I kind of like Gladiator (more than the other four Best Picture nominees that yer at least), but I could never straight-facedly call it a brilliant screenplay.

Worst Original Screenplay nominees of the decade though are Monster's Ball and Gangs of New York, with The Aviator not far behind.

The Aviator is NOT worse than My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I'm pretty sure there's a scientific formula that proves that conclusively :D

Wacky sitcom script > (Three hour lecture on the producer as auteur + mommy issues + OCD - insight - interesting portrayals of fascinating real life characters)/The Spruce Goose

Edited By dws1982 on 1264122382
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

dws1982 wrote:
dreaMaker wrote:Don't put Gladiator in the same bag with MBFGW and The Hangover... Gladiator has a brilliant screenplay.
I kind of like Gladiator (more than the other four Best Picture nominees that yer at least), but I could never straight-facedly call it a brilliant screenplay.

Worst Original Screenplay nominees of the decade though are Monster's Ball and Gangs of New York, with The Aviator not far behind.
The Aviator is NOT worse than My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I'm pretty sure there's a scientific formula that proves that conclusively :D
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

dws1982 wrote:Worst Original Screenplay nominees of the decade though are Monster's Ball and Gangs of New York, with The Aviator not far behind.
Pretty soon we'll be able to have a Worst Oscar Nominees of the Decade poll.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

matthew
Graduate

Post by matthew »

I'm really disappointed by the lack of noms for Bright Star. I don't understand why it is doing so poorly in this year's awards season, considering the quality of some of the more honoured competition...
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Don't put Gladiator in the same bag with MBFGW and The Hangover... Gladiator has a brilliant screenplay.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

rolotomasi99 wrote:If THE HANGOVER was nominated it would take the crown of worst Original Screenplay nominee of the century from GLADIATOR and MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING.
The century is young. Make that the decade and you may be right, though I would call it a draw between The Hangover and My Big Fat Greek Wedding.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

dreaMaker wrote:
anonymous wrote: Looks like The Hangover might get in Original Screenplay.

I really hope it won't happen.

BAFTA nominations
Original Screenplay
THE HANGOVER - Jon Lucas, Scott Moore
THE HURT LOCKER - Mark Boal
INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS - Quentin Tarantino
A SERIOUS MAN - Joel Coen, Ethan Coen
UP - Bob Peterson, Pete Docter

Replace THE HANGOVER with 500 DAYS OF SUMMER and you have your Oscar line-up. If THE HANGOVER was nominated it would take the crown of worst Original Screenplay nominee of the century from GLADIATOR and MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING.

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1264087510
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Remember when the Baftas did their own thing instead of trying to be an Oscar fore-runner? It wasn't that long ago.

Interestingly the only signs of the "old" Baftas are the inclusion of actors from films about rock legends Ian Dury (Andy Serkis) and John Lennon (Kristin Scott Thomas and Anne-Maire Duff nominated for playing Lennon's aunt and mum). Neither film has opened in the U.S. The Lennon film, Nowhere Boy, debuts at Sundance with the Weinstein Company already attached. The Dury film, Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll only opened in the U.K. on January 8th and does not yet have a U.S. distributor. Both may factor into next year's Oscar race...or not.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

What I'm stoked about is the strong showing of District 9. Best Director to boot and only one behind Avatar, which only got one more because of its Best Film nomination.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

anonymous wrote:Abbie Cornish couldn't even get in here. Wow.

Looks like The Hangover might get in Original Screenplay.
I really hope it won't happen.

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”