Categories One-by-One: Documentary Feature

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I've seen four of the nominees in this category, so I feel reasonably comfortable discussing the race. (And count me among those who think The Beaches of Agnès definitely merited a spot.)

The one nominee I'm missing is Which Way Home, so I can't comment on that one.

I think Burma VJ is a vital historical document, but I'm not sure it's a great movie. It's, by nature, haphazardly filmed, and as narrative, it's rather chaotic. I honor those who have risked so much to film the events on display in this picture, and I think it demands to be seen, but as an actual movie, I wish it added up to a bit more. (Though I certainly can see the argument for allowing such footage just to speak for itself.)

The Most Dangerous Man in America is a decent enough piece of history, but it's not remotely Fog of War-special, in either insight or form.

I liked Food, Inc., and found it informative, entertaining, and powerful. By skimming the surface of a number of topics, rather than delving into one, it doesn't feel very rich, but it's way more nutritious, for lack of a better word, than Super Size Me.

But I think The Cove has all the elements for a win -- critical acclaim, decent box office, and plenty of emotional oomph. It's gripping and enraging; a lot of popular faves have been winning this category lately, and I think The Cove will follow suit.

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”