Meryl Streep, Julie & Julia
17%
Tilda Swinton, Julia
31%

Total votes: 35

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Mulligan is the right person to win here, followed by Sidibe. I can`t imagine Bullock winning.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I wasn't trying to make a new point here. Swinton and Streep are merely the latest examples of a practice that goes all the way back to the beginning of the Oscars. Hepburn herself thought that if she were to win an Oscar in 1933 it should have been for Little Women, not Morning Glory.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I wasn't talking about the theory applying to nominations.

You're using totally subjective criteria to reduce Swinton's work in Michael Clayton to part of her lower-tier oeuvre. It's just not a good example of what you're trying to say or even a parallel to something like Meryl winning for Julie and Julia. Sure, Swinton should've been nominated, and even argubly won, for The Deep End among other roles in the past (I'm not using Julia as an example yet, because she hasn't NOT been nominated for it yet), but her performance in Clayton was perfectly great, award-worthy stuff.

Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman; Katherine Hepburn in On Golden Pond; etc these are places you should be going to make your point.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The idea that the right actors win for the wrong films does not apply to nominations.

Swinton's performance in Michael Clayton was certainly nomination worthy, but it was neither the year's best nor the best of Swinton's remarkable gallery of characters up to then. However, it would be far more satisfying if she won for The Deep End or Julia, her two best performances thus far.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:Not only will Meryl Streep likely win her third Oscar for the wrong movie, Tilda Swinton who won her only Oscar for the wrong one a couple of years ago, won't win for the right one this year. Irony abounds.
Swinton's performance in Michael Clayton may not be in her most top-tier level of work, but I still think it was a pretty fantastic turn and definitely Oscar-worthy (that category was particularly strong that year). I wouldn't really consider it a "wrong movie nomination" for her.

And it's certainly not on the same level of Meryl winning one for Julie & Julia, something we bemoaned earlier on in the race, but now look at in a whole different light with the possibility of a Sandra Bullock win.

I have this needling feeling that Helen Mirren's wobbly fifth nominee position will yield an unlikely candidate come nomination morning.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:Swinton in a walk.

Has anybody thought just who the left-field nominee would be in this category over (presumably) the under-viewed Mirren?
Yes, Swinton of course, though it may just be wishful thinking at this point.

Katharine Hepburn once said that the right actors win Oscars for the wrong movies. That's true in both this year's top acting races.

Not only will Meryl Streep likely win her third Oscar for the wrong movie, Tilda Swinton who won her only Oscar for the wrong one a couple of years ago, won't win for the right one this year. Irony abounds.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Swinton in a walk.

Has anybody thought just who the left-field nominee would be in this category over (presumably) the under-viewed Mirren?
"How's the despair?"
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Big Magilla wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:I would imagine all of the folks listed here gave great performances except Bullock. The performance I have seen in clips from THE BLIND SIDE show her giving a terrible peformance, so unless there is some outstanding parts (not just good) than her overall performance should not be praised.
You can't go by the trailer, which is awful.
You should go by the movie. Which is also awful.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

rolotomasi99 wrote:I would imagine all of the folks listed here gave great performances except Bullock. The performance I have seen in clips from THE BLIND SIDE show her giving a terrible peformance, so unless there is some outstanding parts (not just good) than her overall performance should not be praised.
You can't go by the trailer, which is awful.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Abbie Cornish.

I have seen Blunt, Cornish, Mulligan, Sidibe, and Streep.

I would imagine all of the folks listed here gave great performances except Bullock. The performance I have seen in clips from THE BLIND SIDE show her giving a terrible peformance, so unless there is some outstanding parts (not just good) than her overall performance should not be praised.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Reza wrote:I say give it to the babe. She will and should win.
I'm sure you haven't seen The Blind Side Reza.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Other: Arta Dobroshi, Lorna's Silence, at least as of right now.

Seeing Michelle Monaghan on this list makes for a good laugh.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

My choice for ''will win'' and ''should win'' is the same.

Of the choices above, the race boils down to Sandra, Meryl and Tilda. I want Meryl to win her third but not for this minor film. I would prefer if she won for something more meaty or meaningful. I haven't seen Tilda's film but she has already won very recently.

I say give it to the babe. She will and should win.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OK, as the title says, this poll is not who we think will win this year's Oscar for Best Actress, but who we think should win.

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”