Total votes: 37

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Mo´nique should win (and will win)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I voted for Mo'Nique here some days ago without having seen Precious. I finally saw the film last night. Yes she is good in the ''verbal abuse'' scenes but I felt she couldn't quite manage the ''confession'' scene opposite Mariah Carey.

I wouldn't be upset if she won on Oscar night although my personal choice for the award would be Vera Farmiga.
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

I actually called this one back in Jan 2009, too right after her Sundance win :D

Her beginning and final soliloquies completely blew me away.

Edited By mashari on 1264829011
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:I was skeptical when people were touting Mo'Nique sight unseen early on based on Sundance buzz, but she's managed to lived up to the hype.
That's the understatement of the year. You dismissed her practically out of hand!

Congrats to Eric for calling that one way early.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I voted for Anna Kendrick who I think gives the year's freshest performance though I agree with the consensus that Mo'Nique gave the year's strongest performance and deserves her inevitable Oscar. The vote for Kendrick was to keep the vote from being unanimous.

I was skeptical when people were touting Mo'Nique sight unseen early on based on Sundance buzz, but she's managed to lived up to the hype.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Gee, I've seen seven of these performances and none of them are remotely worthy. I hope Mo'Nique, Julianne Moore & Samantha Morton live up the acclaim.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Voted for Scob, my runner up behind Rachel Weisz in The Brothers Bloom and just ahead of Vera Farmiga for Up in the Air.
"How's the despair?"
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

flipp525 wrote:Mo'Nique gives the best supporting performance out of those listed here, although I haven't seen the much-talked-about Scob.
Summer Hours isn't eligible for the golden statuette because the persnickety rule-makers at the Academy didn't like the fact that it was shown on TV in France before it was released in the States.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I don't agree with Mélanie Laurent being considered a supporting character in Inglorious Basterds. Almost the entire plot of the film hinges on her actions and even when she's not onscreen, her presence is palpable. I suppose in an ensemble film, no one is the clear lead, but in this film, if anyone is, it's Shoshanna.

Mo'Nique gives the best supporting performance out of those listed here, although I haven't seen the much-talked-about Scob.

Edited By flipp525 on 1264543111
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Monique, but Morton is a very close second.

I have seen all of these performances except Scob. Monique does an average job throughout the movie, but nails that last scene. She could have gone over-the-top, but considering the dialogue being spoken she nails exactly enough grief to make us actually feel bad for her when really we should be hating her. I sure hope Samantha Morton gets nominated. She was amazing.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Of these, Edith Scob. But for the year, I'd have to choose between Scob and Isabella Rossellini and Vinessa Shaw in Two Lovers, Martina Gedeck in The Baader Meinhof Complex, Adriane Lenox in The Blind Side, and Maja Ostaszewska in Katyn.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Again, not who we think will win this year's Best Supporting Actress Oscar, but who we think should win.

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”