OFTA Nominations

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't know, jack, send me your full name by e-mail and I'll check. I had a few messages that failed to go through, so maybe.

And, I won't copy my screeners to the OFTA because it's illegal.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I thought I was a member. I didn't get a ballot email.

And Wes, why don't you start copying your screeners and posting them to all OFTA members?

I am kidding.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:Nine got a nomination for Most Cinematic Moment? How is that possible? Everyone on this Board hated that movie! Did anybody like this movie?
Apparently enough people liked Fergie's big moment.

Not everyone on this board is a member of OFTA and vice versa but in general terms the nominations probably do reflect the majority of members of the UAADB, just not the most vocal ones.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

There are just over 50 members in the OFTA.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Out of curiosity, Wesley, how many voters are there in OFTA?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The OFTA does not get screeners.
Wesley Lovell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Damien wrote:That's why I never join these online groups (despite the prospect of getting screeners).
I'll be more than happy to join OFTA if it means getting screeners.

If I have to vote 'Nine' for Best Picture in order to get screeners, I'll whore my vote out. No problem!
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Damien wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
Sabin wrote:Nine got a nomination for Most Cinematic Moment? How is that possible? Everyone on this Board hated that movie! Did anybody like this movie?
Exactly. And more in general, these nominations dont seem to mirror this board at all. This board is MUCH better, so I was kind of surprised. It is, as for so many other awards, just a case of let's-guess-the-Oscars. And do people here only watch American movies?! No screenplay nomination for a foreign movie? Only Americans know how to write a movie? Please.
That's why I never join these online groups (despite the prospect of getting screeners). I have my own particular taste and would not want to be associated with an organization that thinks Avatar, District 9, The Hurt Locker, Inglourious Basterds and Up in the Air are the 5 best pictures of the year.
Very true. Yet, if more people like you (or even me) joined such groups the results would be probably different, more varied and certainly more interesting.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

ITALIANO wrote:
Exactly. And more in general, these nominations dont seem to mirror this board at all. This board is MUCH better, so I was kind of surprised. It is, as for so many other awards, just a case of let's-guess-the-Oscars. And do people here only watch American movies?! No screenplay nomination for a foreign movie? Only Americans know how to write a movie? Please.
That's why I never join these online groups (despite the prospect of getting screeners). I have my own particular taste and would not want to be associated with an organization that thinks Avatar, District 9, The Hurt Locker, Inglourious Basterds and Up in the Air are the 5 best pictures of the year.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Nine got a nomination for Most Cinematic Moment? How is that possible? Everyone on this Board hated that movie! Did anybody like this movie?

I like the noms for Capaldi, McKay, In the Loop for Ensemble and Adapted Screenplay (Precious is REALLY a better script than Fantastic Mr. Fox?), Revanche, Summer Hours, and An Education for Costume Design. I don't like Ben Foster's LOOK AT ME! leading performance in The Messenger getting him in over Damon, Phoenix, or Stuhlbarg, nor do I understand why District 9 gets a Cinematography nomination over A Serious Man or Where the Wild Things Are let alone 12 other nominations. It's a good movie but there were better.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Forgot about that one. Probably wishful thinking.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Big Magilla wrote:Nine is limited to one nomination for Original Song and two for Adapted Song.
And one nomination for "Most Cinematic Moment." Hoo boy.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Nine is limited to one nomination for Original Song and two for Adapted Song. At least we didn't vote for those garish costumes, which is probably more than we will be able to say for the Academy come Tuesday morning.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Once again, the same names. Lots of so-so, sometimes embarassing (Sandra Bullock, Cinema Italiano...) choices. Very American too.

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”