SAG: Actress

Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

mashari wrote:
jack wrote:

Her SAG speech was one of the best I've ever seen and I don't think it was hardly as calculating as some would suggest. I like Sandra because here is a girl who knows she isn't the best and not only acknowledges that shortcoming, but flaunts it.

Yep, this is the perfect rationale for deciding whom to crown Best actress. (Who will give the best acceptance speech, who is most well-liked, who is most humble). To hell with who gave the best performance.

Let's just rename the race favorite Female Personality.

(I think Sandra is a very nice and likeable person too, just not an oscar-callibar actress, especially for the Hallmark TV Movie-of-the-week that The Blind Side is.)

Edited By Snick's Guy on 1264393909
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

jack wrote:If Bullock win's I doubt we'll see fake tears. If she win's I think it could be a pretty fantastic speach. She seems like a very self-deprecating woman and her speach could be a combination of self-deprecation and overcome emotion. I think it could be very funny and quite moving.

Her SAG speech was one of the best I've ever seen and I don't think it was hardly as calculating as some would suggest. I like Sandra because here is a girl who knows she isn't the best and not only acknowledges that shortcoming, but flaunts it. She's an underdog finally shining and I can't think of a recent lead contender as humble. And yes, I found her affecting in TBS, too.

Edited By mashari on 1264388877
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:I don't expect anyone here to agree with me and I don't really care. I think Bullock did more interesting work in Blind Side than Meryl did in Julie Julia, a non-performance that really was nothing difficult or exceptional for Streep. I think she would have been a better winner last year for Doubt than for this trifle.

But, I digress. I think Gabourey Sidibe also delivers a knockout performance and it's really too bad more people aren't talking up Shohreh Aghdashloo as well. She is stunning in The Stoning of Soraya M. I like Abbie Cornish in Bright Star who is much better than her material (though Paul Schneider is the stand out there).

Some other wonderful performances by woman in lead or questionably lead performances: Emily Blunt - The Young Victoria, Marion Cotillard - Nine (this is a supporting perf, but has been pushed as lead) and Elle Fanning in Phoebe in Wonderland.

So, I don't think this is nearly as dreary a year for lead performances some here might suggest.

I haven't seen Aghashloo or Fanning's performances, but I have seen the others.

Aside from Tilda Swinton in Julia, there isn't anyone this year that I find all that great.

Sidibe is good, but is it the actress or the role? Difficult to tell but certainly good enough for a nomination.

Streep gets my third place vote for a charming but not great performance.

Blunt is good, but is outclassed by Rupert Friend as Albert. The screenplay for The Young Victoria is not as good as the teleplay for 2001's Victoria & Albert in which Victoria Albert and Jonathan Firth had better material to work with.

Cotillard is the best thing about Nine, but giving her or anyone else connected with the film a nomination for anything is to suggest that it's okay to make crap out of decent Broadway shows. It isn't.

Cornish is OK, but I vacillate between her and Mulligan and Bullock and Michelle Monaghan (Trucker) for my fourth and fifth slots.

Not a bad year, but not a great one either.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1264378274
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Snick's Guy wrote: If she wins, as someone else stated, it will be the equivilent of a People's Choice award.
It's not as though the AMPAS hasn't openly strived for unabashed populism this year.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

If Bullock win's I doubt we'll see fake tears. If she win's I think it could be a pretty fantastic speach. She seems like a very self-deprecating woman and her speach could be a combination of self-deprecation and overcome emotion. I think it could be very funny and quite moving.
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

I have yet to read a single post here from those that are championing Bullock that she deserves to win based on the phenomenal and extraordinary performance she turned in for The Blind Side.

It's a sad state, when the best you can say is "She's a nice person". "She is pleasant on screen." "She made more money at the box office than the other four."

Interesting criteria to base who should win this award. If she wins, as someone else stated, it will be the equivilent of a People's Choice award.

Sheeesh!
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

jack wrote:I kind of want to see [The Blind Side] now. From the one preview I saw my first impression was that it was a TV movie.

I'll watch it with an open mind, but there's no point 'cause I'm sure I'll hate it.
*snort*

I totally know what you mean. I plan on watching it when it is no longer in theatres. My mom saw it and hated, and she is far more tolerant of sappy stuff than I am. She particularly hated the little blonde kid and the clear Red State mentality of the whole film.

I truly think this is a case where the Oscar race might just be a popularity contest. Everything about this just seems like there are those who are going to vote for Bullock because "she is just so darned nice" while Streep will get votes for being the goddess that she is even if this was lesser-goddess stuff here.

I say just split the difference and give it to Sidibe or Mulligan. They deserve to have all the attention on them more than Bullock. Even my cold, cynical heart would be warmed by their genuine life-changing moment of having their name announced as the winner rather than whatever fake tears and humility Bullock will probably give us.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Greg wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I personally find a film in which a nice young girl falls for a broken down, alcoholic country singer old enough to be her grandfather more troubling, but that probably says more about me than the film, too.
Jeff Bridges is only 28 years older than Maggie Gyllenhaal.
He's still old enough to be her grandather, father for sure! :)
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

taki15 wrote:dws, you probably have me in ignore mode.
I did, and I don't know why. I had never paid any attention the ignore option before. Must have hit it by accident one day.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

ITALIANO wrote:
Big Magilla wrote: That some people find The Blind Side offensive probably says more about them than the film itself
It says alot both about the film and, I admit, about me; and I'm proud of what it says about me (I'd be honestly less proud if I'd find it "inoffensive").

Jack, before seeing The Blind Side I didn't have anything against Bullock. Ok, she wasnt my favorite actress, and I found her movies in general terrible, but I thought she was a pleasant, if not really impressive, screen presence. But then I saw The Blind Side, and I hope more on this board will see it soon, because otherwise it will be easy for Big Magilla and Oscar Guy convince everyone that I'm the usual communist who must be committed to an insane asylum before it's too late.

Nice to see that Mister Tee, who certainly isnt a dangerous anti-Anerican, basically agrees with me.
I kind of want to see it now. From the one preview I saw my first impression was that it was a TV movie.

I'll watch it with an open mind, but there's no point 'cause I'm sure I'll hate it.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote: That some people find The Blind Side offensive probably says more about them than the film itself
It says alot both about the film and, I admit, about me; and I'm proud of what it says about me (I'd be honestly less proud if I'd find it "inoffensive").

Jack, before seeing The Blind Side I didn't have anything against Bullock. Ok, she wasnt my favorite actress, and I found her movies in general terrible, but I thought she was a pleasant, if not really impressive, screen presence. But then I saw The Blind Side, and I hope more on this board will see it soon, because otherwise it will be easy for Big Magilla and Oscar Guy convince everyone that I'm the usual communist who must be committed to an insane asylum before it's too late.

Nice to see that Mister Tee, who certainly isnt a dangerous anti-Anerican, basically agrees with me.
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

jack wrote:
taki15 wrote:I agree that Paltrow and Hunt are by far the worst Best Actress winners of the last generation.

And unless we see Paris Hilton or Jessica Simpson collecting an award during the next years, they will continue to hold that dubious distinction for a long time.
Considering we had Judi Dench (Mrs. Brown) and Fernanda Montenegro (Central Station) nominated in the two years both Paltrow and Hunt won only emphasises how bad a winner both were.

I'm I correct in thinking that both Paltrow and Hunt were the only American's nominated in the Actress catagory both years?
Hunt was indeed the only American in the lineup.
Paltrow was not, Meryl Streep was also nominated that year.

In Hunt's case not only Dench but also Helena Bonham-Carter gave a far superior performance.

Same thing next year when alongside Montenegro you had Kate Blanchett giving an iconic performance as Elizabeth.

dws, you probably have me in ignore mode.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Can I add something regarding this whole Blind Side thing. Sandra Bullock's winning streak thus far isn't her fault. She's the first person to announce that she's not the best actress of the year. If the film's as bad as you guys say it is then it's the fault of those voting for her; first the critics (Globes, so only kinda critics) then the actors (last night). If she win's the Oscar so be it. I remember Akiva Goldsman backstage when he won his Oscar proclaiming that it will never happen again and that he should just enjoy it. I can imagine Bullock feeling the same way.

Let her win the Oscar this year, and next year they can try and give it to someone better.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Big Magilla wrote:I personally find a film in which a nice young girl falls for a broken down, alcoholic country singer old enough to be her grandfather more troubling, but that probably says more about me than the film, too.
Jeff Bridges is only 28 years older than Maggie Gyllenhaal.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

mashari wrote:I honestly don't see Meryl derailing this with such a lightweight film.
Because lightweight is a word that would never come to mind when describing a work of such nuance as The Blind Side.

I'm squarely with Italiano here: shocked there are people here actually supporting this abominable possibility. The Blind Side was a mediocre TV movie that simplified serious issues the way TV likes to. Bullock does her standard thing, only this time her endearing twinkling is to rescue a poor black kid rather than to win over a resistant male. I'm stupefied people claim to see anything like impressive acting in this. Julie and Julia is only second-tier Streep, at best, yet that performance outdistances Bullock's by fathoms.

I recall some here, back in the day, trashing Julia Roberts' win in Erin Brockovich as the equivalent of a People's Choice Award. But Brockovich was an exceedingly well-detailed (if familiar) film, and Roberts utilized her persona and stretched it further to create something memorable. Nothing of the sort occurs here.

I'll have to once again stand with Italiano, and have some faith that Oscar voters will see the folly in this and go with Streep in the end. How blisteringly sad, that we have to pray for that to redeem an otherwise drearily predictable if not dismal Oscar night.

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”