SAG: Actress

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

And by the way the house is rich, true, but completely tasteless.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Does this mean if I see the movie I should be on the lookout to note which brand of luxury car she uses to pick up and rescue the boy?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I wanna be a rich white woman! oh...wait...

Edited By OscarGuy on 1264632286
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The sofa? That whole house was to die for.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I love the way that Sandra Bullock represented rich white people in this film -- with dignity. She was benevolent, caring and had exquisite taste (I mean, did you see that sofa? Gorgeous!)

Edited By flipp525 on 1264630150
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Joey
Graduate

Post by Joey »

Mister Tee wrote:I'll have to once again stand with Italiano, and have some faith that Oscar voters will see the folly in this and go with Streep in the end. How blisteringly sad, that we have to pray for that to redeem an otherwise drearily predictable if not dismal Oscar night.

Same here. Interestingly, I think it was you who pointed out (correctly) in another thread that it would be more exciting if Jeff Bridges didn't win every major precursor award before winning his Oscar, because there's more of an energetic and viscerally enthusiastic response when a veteran (finally) wins amidst some uncertainty over his chances. Who knew of course that the veteran whose uncertain chances could produce an exciting result this year would be Meryl Streep, and not Jeff Bridges?

Edited By Joey on 1264629937
Joey
Graduate

Post by Joey »

It's not a contradiction to say that The Blind Side is offensive AND that Bullock's performance is lousy. In fact, both of those statements are correct.

That some people (here and on other boards) can't imagine why this kind of film would be offensive/racist only proves the point that many white people in this country still (sadly) do not understand -- primarly because of their privileged position in American society-- why it is problematic to portray non-white characters in limited or essentialist ways.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

No, it's the performance that is terrible, not just the movie. It's true that, with such a role, completely lacking in subtext, no other actress would have been better, but no other actress would have been worse, either. And despite the threatens that I have recently received, I will keep saying that it's a terrible performance and doesnt deserve an Oscar.

Edited By ITALIANO on 1264446294
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

That is your point, Snick and maybe the point of others, but it is not the only point.

You are not alone in your dislike of the performance, but I'm not alone in my liking of the performance. I see something different in it than you do and that's fine, but don't make it sound like there's some factual representation that says her performance isn't good just because your opinion dictates otherwise.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

Exactly, Wes. She was the best thing in TBS and exhibited much warmth in her character change that she completely wins you over. She's also arguably a key factor to the film's surprising mega success, a film that's not really classified as your average sports flick, and that alone says something.

Some people act like it will be WW3 if Meryl doesn't win a third Oscar.
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

But her performance wasn't that good -- that is the point.

She was merely adequate, which is why she is getting the notice that she is.

After turning in a series of god-awful performances throughout her career, this one is just merely "so-so" which is a huge improvement for her.

I would have no problem giving her the "Most improved actress of 2009 award", but not the Oscar -- just so not deserved.

I will take any of the other four front-runners over her.

Edited By Snick's Guy on 1264432398
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

There's no point in trying, Mashari. They dislike Sandra Bullock because they hate her film. They can't separate film from performance. While I can see that as a reason to not like the performance since they feel the film is hers and it doesn't elevate enough for them, it does elevate the film fro a lot of us. Had we seen another actress in the role, I'm not sure the film would even be where it is today and the actress at the top of the bill wouldn't be an Oscar contender. It's not a role the Academy typically loves, but Sandra Bullock does amazing things with the part.

There's a courage, strength and humanity in her performance that I love. I will not begrudge her a win over Streep who really shouldn't be getting a third Oscar until she does something outstanding (Doubt was that performance for me), but Streep is a goddess among most of the people on this board.

It would be like Sabin rooting against a Wes Anderson film, it just won't happen. It would be like me not citing Kubrick as one of film history's great directors. There are people here who think she should get a third trophy for reading the phone book. I'm sure they would be clamoring for her to win an Oscar for It's Complicated if that had been the film for which she was nominated.

The level of hate for the film The Blind Side elevates the level of dislike of her performance even if it were on par with many of history's winners in this category. Just because the film isn't good (Monster, Monster's Ball) doesn't mean the performance isn't good.
Wesley Lovell
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

Relax people, no one's saying Sandra deserves it because of her likability factor, but since she is the frontrunner it makes the inevitable easier to swallow. I really don't get all of this Sandra hate here and ranking her amongst the worst possible BA winners ever in history is rather extreme. At the very least she deserves her nomination this year.

My personal pick has always been newcomer Sidibe, but it's not hard to tell that she's out of the race. Sandy is the lesser of the 2 evils when pitted against a Streep performance she could have easily done in her sleep IMO. Sorry.

Edited By mashari on 1264428876
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Being a white person and liking The Blind Side may be even just plain stupidity, or superficiality, or simply bad taste, though it definitely has its dark side.

But when it's blacks - and I'm sure there are many - who like it, well, it becomes a much more complicated issue, one I really don't know how to deal with, though of course it says a lot about America, brainwashing and, more in general, minorities (yet I'm not sure that, in a similar situation, feminists for example, or jews or even gays would accept that treatment without complaining).

Edited By ITALIANO on 1264413088
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

mashari wrote:
jack wrote:If Bullock win's I doubt we'll see fake tears. If she win's I think it could be a pretty fantastic speach. She seems like a very self-deprecating woman and her speach could be a combination of self-deprecation and overcome emotion. I think it could be very funny and quite moving.

Her SAG speech was one of the best I've ever seen and I don't think it was hardly as calculating as some would suggest. I like Sandra because here is a girl who knows she isn't the best and not only acknowledges that shortcoming, but flaunts it. She's an underdog finally shining and I can't think of a recent lead contender as humble. And yes, I found her affecting in TBS, too.

According to this logic, Nobel prizes should be given to those professors who throw the best faculty parties.

Actually, this is not such a far fetched concept.

Edited By Uri on 1264405283

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”