82nd Oscars - Telecast

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Kirsten Stewart said the last time Horror was honored at the Oscars was The Exorcist in 1973, and then the first clip in the montage was Jaws, winner of 4 Oscars at the 1975 Oscars
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I happened to like most of the montage. But, I'm also a horror fan.

And The Shining got so much screen time compared to the other films. Not such a bad thing, IMO...hell, you even saw my site's logo backdrop in one of the scenes...so, I'm cool with it. :)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

We've been pausing this show quite a bit, so we're about 30mins behind the rest of you, but what was with the tribute to horror? I've love horror movies - it's maybe my favourite genre - but was it not a bit off-kilter showing a montage of R rated movies (with emphasis on their R rated-ness) during an Oscar telecast? Not to mention that it was a shit montage...
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Never - not during the superbowl, not during a Three Stooges short, NEVER - have I wanted to see a collision so badly.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

In the dictionary, lame should be accompanied by a video of the original score dance number...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Not, so far, the total trainwreck I was expecting/hoping/fearing. The big production number at the beginning was a disaster, but Martin and Baldwin had a funny opening act.

The Horror movie tribute felt like vintage Gil Cates, made even sillier by the fact that they had Kristen Stewart say that The Exorcist was the last Horror movie "on the Oscar stage" or something, when the montage showed several Oscar-winning (and nominated) Horror films that are not as old as The Exorcist.

ETA: Obviously, I wrote the top paragraph before the embarrassing dance montage. Is it too difficult to just play the music over a short montage from the movie? Really? It sounds simple enough, and people can get some sense of how the scores fit into the context of their films.

Edited By dws1982 on 1268020264
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I must admit, these awards are providing some legit drama. The many, many discursive moments are soul-killing, but the awards themselves are quite entertaining. Love the clips. Finally they hit upon a viable solution.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Snick's Guy wrote:Interesting that we have gone back to "And The Winner Is ..." , wondering if other awards shows will now follow suit
I'll wager that they revert back to "and the Oscar goes to..." next year.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

It seems to really be moving along, but then again I took a bathroom break during the Hughes tribute, was it any good?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

And to think, this is more boring than most Oscarcasts I've seen.
Wesley Lovell
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

Interesting that we have gone back to "And The Winner Is ..." , wondering if other awards shows will now follow suit
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Okay, the Academy needs to take this thing back to the Shrine and re-hire Gil Cates and Louis Horvitz.

This couldn't be further from the Oscars I know.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Amanda Seyfried was the lead in the film Mamma Mia! and Chris Pine played Kirk in the remake.
Wesley Lovell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

So far, two participants I'd never heard of Amanda Something and Somebody Pine. Oh well, I'd venture that Adam Shankman has never heard of Rainer Werner Fassbinder or Alain Resnais.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

I loved how they introduced the Animated Feature nominees. Very funny.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes

Return to “82nd Nominations and Winners”