82nd Oscars - Best Actress

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I dont´care if Sandra´s speech was nice. It doesn´t revert the fact that she didn´t deserve to win.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

There's also the possibility, Big Magilla, that Meryl Streep is a better actress than all those you mentioned - including Katharine Hepburn.

Also, to me the problem isn't that Meryl Streep lost. It's that Sandra Bullock won, and she didn't deserve to. So I don't understand all the support she gets on this board. Wrong is wrong, even if the person is nice.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It took Katharine Hepburn 34 years to win her second Oscar and Bette Davis never won one after 1938. Had Streep's performances been up against any of Hepburn's or Davis', chances are she wouldn't have half the nominations she does.

It's all subjective. Neither Bullock nor Streep gave the year's best performance by a an actress IMO. That was Tilda Swinton and she wasn't even nominated. Helen Mirren, who only has one Oscar despite a career that goes back almost a decade prior to Streep's, gave the best nominated performance and nobody is shedding a tear for her or her co-star, Christopher Plummer who might also be considered "due".

Let Sandy have her moment. Even she knows it's not likely to come again.
bettestreep2008
Graduate

Post by bettestreep2008 »

Watched The View today and Joy Behar was the only one disappointed with the Bullock win.

She referred to Streep as a "magician" - conjuring up such brilliant performances and not being honoured for them.

If Meryl gets nominated again next year - her 17th - she will most likely lose again because both Julian Moore and Annette Benning will be nominated for the well received Kids are alright - and both actors will have the "It's time" campaign going for them.

Or will Hilary Swank make it 3 out of 3 for the single mother fighting for justice role in Betty Anne Waters???

Just a reminder - the only Best Actress oscar Merryl has received was 27 YEARS AGO!

And it will 28 YEARS if she loses next year as well!!!
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

OscarGuy wrote:But how was it the "best year"? It certainly wasn't her best performance? She was better last year in Doubt and better also in The Devil Wears Prada, yet the clamoring wasn't as loud as this year.
Well, some of us think this was the best leading performance Streep has given in a dozen years...probably since The Bridges of Madison County. I will take her Julia Child over Doubt or Devil Wears Prada any day.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

OscarGuy wrote:But how was it the "best year"? It certainly wasn't her best performance? She was better last year in Doubt and better also in The Devil Wears Prada, yet the clamoring wasn't as loud as this year.
You know, I´m not so sure. She was exquisite in that performance. Her voice, her gestures, her awkwardness. I consider her portrayal of Julia Child even better than the other two. It was challenging. She was forced to create a creature so different from her. I applaude that
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

But how was it the "best year"?

Because she headlined Julie & Julia and It's Complicated. Well, technically I guess she co-starred but she was a major draw. Both of them brought in $325 million worldwide. Not many actresses do or have brought in that much worldwide. The difference is that Sandra Bullock had a better year with All About Steve, The Blind Side, and The Proposal to the tune of $575 million. Which is kind of unreal.
"How's the despair?"
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

OscarGuy wrote:But how was it the "best year"? It certainly wasn't her best performance? She was better last year in Doubt and better also in The Devil Wears Prada, yet the clamoring wasn't as loud as this year. Regardless of competition, the fact that she lost for one of her weaker performances shouldn't be as dispiriting as it has been. She'll win a third eventually, but I'm guessing it will be for dramatic over comedy.

Which brings up another thought. Perhaps the Academy's penchant for recognizing dramatic works over comedy ones is a more significant factor than people are suggesting. How often does comedy win at the Oscars?
Oscar Guy --

You may have something here, as there appears to be a bias against comedic performances, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Many here, myself included, did not think Meryl had a strong chance at winning this year when Julie and Julia was first released. But then, when the critics started citing their favorites at the end of the year, Streep started showing up on list after list, giving legitimatcy and creedence that her's was at least one of the great performances of the year (note: Bullock did not show up on any year end list of critics). So, based on that fact, the groundswell began that this could in fact be Streep's year. I would love to be privy to the final tally, as I suspect the vote was razor-thin close.

The fact remains that amongst Hollywood actors, Streep is the most respected and reverred of the entire bunch, and she will most definately win a third (any maybe fourth) Oscar.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

But how was it the "best year"? It certainly wasn't her best performance? She was better last year in Doubt and better also in The Devil Wears Prada, yet the clamoring wasn't as loud as this year. Regardless of competition, the fact that she lost for one of her weaker performances shouldn't be as dispiriting as it has been. She'll win a third eventually, but I'm guessing it will be for dramatic over comedy.

Which brings up another thought. Perhaps the Academy's penchant for recognizing dramatic works over comedy ones is a more significant factor than people are suggesting. How often does comedy win at the Oscars?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

OscarGuy wrote:I don't understand why Streep fans are upset at Sandra for beating her...

Has she not had 15 prior nominations that could be equally prone to wins? I mean last year alone, Doubt would have been the perfect film for her to win her third Oscar, but she didn't. So, I find it a bit unfortunate that Sandra should bear the brunt of the frustration for beating Meryl.
The point is, that Sandra was an inappropriate winner. It was a clearly the best year for Meryl to receive her third trophy. Otherwise, I would have prefered Gabourey to win.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Ehh, I love Streep, but wouldn't have voted for her last year. Doubt, as a story/narrative/film just has too many flaws and while she gives a fascinating characterization, it's not one I'd want her to win for.

[quote=""Italianio""]Yet on this board, in the past, the Academy's choices haven't been received with such politeness and diplomacy, so why should we make an exception for what is one of the worst choices ever? [/quote]

No real reason, except I get the feeling you don't obsess over the results like some people do, so your life goes on one way or the other, whereas I know people on the internet that'll be bitching about this like it's a human rights violation.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't understand why Streep fans are upset at Sandra for beating her...

Has she not had 15 prior nominations that could be equally prone to wins? I mean last year alone, Doubt would have been the perfect film for her to win her third Oscar, but she didn't. So, I find it a bit unfortunate that Sandra should bear the brunt of the frustration for beating Meryl.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

It's not true that it's supposed to be a popularity contest - there are other prizes for that - and if it were, then we should accept any verdict (the winner will always be someone's favorite actor or director or movie, and popularity will always play a role, or can always be used as an excuse). Yet on this board, in the past, the Academy's choices haven't been received with such politeness and diplomacy, so why should we make an exception for what is one of the worst choices ever?

Also, since the so-called "Streep fans" have been called pathetic here, I think I'd have some right to call "Bullock fans" not the most intelligent people on earth. I won't, but I could, and I probably (personal opinion, of course) wouldn't be too far from the truth.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

It was a great speech, but that is not what lives on: she will always be an actress, beloved by her peers and fans, who won an Oscar for an inferior movie, and I mirror people's hopes that she sticks to more substantial roles (no more All About Steves please!). She said on the Barbara Walters interview that she still wants to make people laugh - it will just have to be less throwaway I guess.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I do believe Sandy's also the first woman in her 40's to win Best Actress since Susan Sarandon.

Return to “82nd Nominations and Winners”