82nd Academy Awards -- The Show

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Neither the best nor the worst with a few memorable moments and really only one awkward one - that ill-advised tribute to John Hughes.

I liked most of the actor/actress presentations, especially Michelle Pfeiffer's tribute to Jeff Bridges but thought it odd that her first husband, Fisher Stevens, co-producer of The Cove, now has an Oscar and she still doesn't.

And I discovered that Chris Pine is the son of character actor Robert Pine and the grandson on his mother's side of Anne Gwynne, Universal's horror scream queen of the 1940s.
Oh, I love Anne Gwynne. Makes me have some respect for this kid whoever he is.
Star Trek, he's the star of Star Trek, and the upcoming Jack Ryan film.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Some reactions:

- I felt Kathy Ireland was doing a parody of a red carpet host rather than being a red carpet host.

- The show wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

- The John Hughes tribute was unnecessary and way too fucking long. I went to the bathroom to shower during it and I came back and it was STILL going on. Jeez. Not even Stanley Kubrick or Katharine Hepburn got that treatment.

- The Original Score dance number was also way too fucking long.

- I do not approve Sandy's win but she gave a good speech.

- I'm glad they gave Lauren Bacall and Roger Corman a standing ovation.

- I wanna hug Gabourey Sidibe.

- I'm thrilled for Kathryn Bigelow.

- I think Alec and Steve were fine as hosts. The Paranormal Activity gag was kind of funny.

Edited By anonymous on 1268030830
bettestreep2008
Graduate

Post by bettestreep2008 »

I found it a little bland and unmoving too.

Last year Hugh Jackman and the revolutionary 5 former oscar winners presenting the acting awards was very moving.

This year I felt the show was competent. No really awful moments - except for Neil Patrick Harris and Tom Hanks - and no really great moments.

It was a fine show - but whether having Taylor and the coughing girl and Miley will bring in the younger fans - I don't know.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Big Magilla wrote:Neither the best nor the worst with a few memorable moments and really only one awkward one - that ill-advised tribute to John Hughes.

I liked most of the actor/actress presentations, especially Michelle Pfeiffer's tribute to Jeff Bridges but thought it odd that her first husband, Fisher Stevens, co-producer of The Cove, now has an Oscar and she still doesn't.

And I discovered that Chris Pine is the son of character actor Robert Pine and the grandson on his mother's side of Anne Gwynne, Universal's horror scream queen of the 1940s.
Oh, I love Anne Gwynne. Makes me have some respect for this kid whoever he is.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Neither the best nor the worst with a few memorable moments and really only one awkward one - that ill-advised tribute to John Hughes.

Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Such a perfectly bland show. No wonder no one is bothered with commenting on it. The only creditable moment – Sandy Powell acceptance speech. Nothing else was even remotely poignant, emotional or funny. On the other hand, it wasn't the train wrack everyone predicted it to be. I wish it was, at least it would amount to, I don't know, something.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:There was a comment I picked up in one of the stories on the last press release of presenters:

"Some names are being withheld and they're being withheld for a reason."

Can we really expect another Katharine Hepburn/Woody Allen moment, like maybe a joint appearance by Olivia de Havilland and Joan Fontaine ending, or at least temporarily halting, their 63 year public feud?
The sisters are being sorely missed.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Ryan Seacrest just broadly hinted that Neil Patrick Harris will open the show.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, according to Today, apparently Lauren Bacall is supposed to be there, so who knows...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The thing is they've announced Barbra Streisand as a presenter. She's such a diva I can;t imagine she would allow herself to be announced while "lesser stars" are kept under wraps leading me to have some hope that the "unannounced" will include bigger names.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Robin Williams and Martin Short were going to do a Marc Shaiman parody number but Williams dropped out a few weeks ago and Short's wife is ill so he left. Now they have Neil Patrick Harris and ?
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Thanks! I was looking at the press releases. Anyway, 46 presenters have been officially announced. "... most of the show’s 73 (!) presenters have dropped by the Kodak Theater to rehearsed..." expressed Mechanic on the article posted by Steve Pond. So, which are the rest?

Edited By Hustler on 1268003629
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

No. I think you're looking at the wrong list. I'm looking at it right now...got to: http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/82/presenters.html
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

OscarGuy wrote:Other than Oprah, which I picked up from a separate article on the event, the rest come from the "official" list posted on the Academy's website.
I was referring to Pedro Almodovar. Sigourney Weaver, cameron Díaz, Jennifer Lopez, Demi Moore, Sarah Jessica Parker, Robin Williams. These names are not included in the official list posted on the Academy´s website.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Other than Oprah, which I picked up from a separate article on the event, the rest come from the "official" list posted on the Academy's website.
Wesley Lovell

Return to “82nd Nominations and Winners”