82nd Academy Awards -- The Show

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

OscarGuy wrote:Well, we already know Oprah's a surprise presenter. My guess is it will be lame people no one cares about. I don't think they'd actually surprise us with something awesome.

I'd really love to see them go back to: "The Envelope, Please..."

That was always an interesting element.

Wes, having looked for information, I´ve found good information in your website related to that night presenters. Where did you get this?

Edited By Hustler on 1268000270
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Big Magilla wrote:There was a comment I picked up in one of the stories on the last press release of presenters:

"Some names are being withheld and they're being withheld for a reason."

Can we really expect another Katharine Hepburn/Woody Allen moment, like maybe a joint appearance by Olivia de Havilland and Joan Fontaine ending, or at least temporarily halting, their 63 year public feud?
No, and they couldn't even get interesting people who have long-standing relationships with the nominees to introduce them. So, for instance, for Sandra Bullock you get Kathy Bates from The Blind Side, for example.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, we already know Oprah's a surprise presenter. My guess is it will be lame people no one cares about. I don't think they'd actually surprise us with something awesome.

I'd really love to see them go back to: "The Envelope, Please..."

That was always an interesting element.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

There was a comment I picked up in one of the stories on the last press release of presenters:

"Some names are being withheld and they're being withheld for a reason."

Can we really expect another Katharine Hepburn/Woody Allen moment, like maybe a joint appearance by Olivia de Havilland and Joan Fontaine ending, or at least temporarily halting, their 63 year public feud?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

No, but probably appropriate for the crass show we're all expecting.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Cam's widow, Danae, asked me to "tell the Oscar board guys that Cam is up there in "Section B - where all the fun people are" voting just as he used to."
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

anonymous wrote:I think that sketch, though I think it's a funny idea, is way too over-the-top and crass for the Oscars. It's probably more appropriate for the MTV Movie Awards or something.
I couldn't agree more. Even by Cohen's standards this skit seems to be of incredibly poor taste.

Heck! Even I would be squirming in my seat during the whole spectacle.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I think that sketch, though I think it's a funny idea, is way too over-the-top and crass for the Oscars. It's probably more appropriate for the MTV Movie Awards or something.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Quel Domage! Baron Cohen appeared to be one of the new and fresh attractions of the evening
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It just keeps getting better. Why would anyone have considered this a good idea in the first place?

From New York Magazine's Vulture:

Just a week ago, Sacha Baron Cohen — the alter ego of Borat and Brüno — was announced as an Oscar presenter by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Now, suddenly, Baron Cohen has vanished from that list. Why is he gone from the show? Because one of the broadcast's producers was scared he might offend gazillionaire Best Director nominee James Cameron.

An insider familiar with the Oscar telecast tells Vulture that an Avatar sketch planned by Baron Cohen and Ben Stiller was nixed yesterday by show producer Bill Mechanic, who worried that Cameron would be so offended by it that he might even walk out of the Oscar broadcast on live TV.

So what skit could possibly so incense the HMFIC?

Our insider informs us that Baron Cohen planned to appear onstage as a blue-skinned, female Na’vi, with Stiller translating “her” interplanetary speech. As the skit went on, though, it would become clear that Stiller wasn’t translating properly, because Cohen would grow ever more upset. At its climax, an infuriated Baron Cohen would pull open “her” evening gown to reveal that s/he was pregnant, knocked up with Cameron’s love child, and would go on to confront her baby daddy as if s/he were on Jerry Springer.

Mechanic, now both a producer of motion pictures and of this year’s Oscar telecast, was head of Twentieth Century Fox when Cameron’s Titanic famously went massively over budget and over schedule, so he’s well acquainted with Cameron’s sense of humor — or lack of it. “Let’s just say that Cameron isn’t known to be, shall we say, ‘self-deprecating,’” explained one insider familiar with the decision to cut the sketch.

Academy spokesperson Toni Thompson would only confirm that Baron Cohen was no longer presenting, but Baron Cohen’s spokesman, Matt Labov, tells Vulture that “I hate to use the term, because it's so ubiquitous, but there were ‘creative differences.’ Nothing acrimonious, but both sides felt that since they couldn’t agree, [Cohen] might as well remain in London.” (Calls to Mechanic's office were not returned at deadline.)

So in case you’re ranking celebrity senses of humor at home, you can now safely put Cameron below Eminem.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

It IS a bad idea. But it's still better than last year, I think, or it could potentially be, if only because, if the presenters are REALLY friends of the nominees and they write their own speeches, there might be something personal, or touching, or funny - let's even say "true" - in what they will say. (I doubt they will be allowed to say what they really feel of course, but maybe some traces of truth will survive).

I'm sure that after one year we can all agree, without hypocrisy please for once (I know that Damien won't be offended), that the five-divas-on-stage was one of the most embarassing moments in television history, but not just the idea itself; it's what they said that was, I mean, at least by European standards, so empty, so baroque, so superficial and especially so fake, that it sounded as if it had been written by the black guy in The Blind Side in one of his famously "moving" high school essays - yes, the ones which brought tears to the eyes of his adoring teachers. Tv writers in America are very well-paid - shouldn't they get some kind of education before they sit in front of their pc?

Edited By ITALIANO on 1267609271
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

The whole point of having previous winners presenting was to highlight that it's an elite club -- Oscar winners -- that the winner would be joining.

The way Shankman is doing it seems like a retread of "This Is Your Life."

And I'm guessing that Colin Ferrell is actually rooting for Jeff Bridges.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Damien wrote:Exclusive: Oprah Winfrey headlines Oscar show presenters for Best Actor and Best Actress
By Gregory Ellwood
Someone from another message board pointed out that what they're doing here is that the Oscar Best Actor/Actress presenters will come out and do a "tribute" to the nominee (like last year) and THEN have last year's opposite sex Oscar winner come out and open the envelope.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Can someone dial back a decade and have the Great Train Robbery steal this train before the wreck we're about to see?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “82nd Nominations and Winners”