82nd Academy Awards -- The Show

Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Still haven't seen The Hurt Locker, to be clear. I'm sure once I see it I could find myself rooting for it for being obviously superior to either of the other viable contenders (i.e. Avatar and Up in the Air).
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It's not going to increase its box office. It's out of theatres but its DVD sales and rentals are through the roof.

http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/rentals
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Eric wrote:At this point, I'm half rooting for The Hurt Locker to win it just to throw a wrench into the Academy's by-this-point pathological desire to reinvent itself as the neo-People's Choice Awards.
Well, obviously I'm rooting for The Hurt Locker because IT'S AMAZING.

But I have to agree that I would love to see -- in the year where the Academy has practically mandated that popular movies be recognized -- literally the lowest grossing Best Picture winner in a half century.

(Note: I just checked...unless The Hurt Locker soars in box office as a result of its Oscar nominations, it would be the lowest grossing Best Picture winner since Gigi...and given that we're talking 1958 dollars there, you'd have to go back even further to find, if one exists, a film that actually flopped as badly with audiences as Hurt Locker winning Best Picture.)

Has anyone stopped to think about how incredibly this year's race -- the film that swept the critics prizes but barely made a dime VS. the highest grossing movie ever -- reflects the art vs. commerce tensions of today's film environment, particularly with respect to this year's game-changing Oscars?
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

At this point, I'm half rooting for The Hurt Locker to win it just to throw a wrench into the Academy's by-this-point pathological desire to reinvent itself as the neo-People's Choice Awards.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

So the audience may get to phone in and vote for who wins each Oscar...

You gotta love train-wreck TV.

Why didn't they just ask Simon Cowell to produce.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Not sure where this topic should go . . .

Be very afraid:

Oscar producers Jennifer Gibgot and Adam Shankman were on the Peter Bart/Peter Guber TV show and spoke about their concept for the show:

“One of the things that we have as an industry to celebrate in a really big way this year is crossing that 10 billion dollar mark. It’s the biggest year in box office history. Who we owe everything to, who pays our bills, are the audience.”

“I’m actually returning the show to what it really is, which is the best-dressed reality competition show on the air, so it’ll have that energy in it, really playing on the horse race element of it, so that there’s some kinetic tension in the show.”
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Return to “82nd Nominations and Winners”