82nd Academy Awards Nominations

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

criddic3 wrote:I think there is room for both commercial and arthouse movies in a list of the "best" of the year. There's also a case to be made that commercial films can also have artistic value and vice versa. Some "art" films aren't really all that entertaining and some "commercial" (ie: emotionally satisfying, money-making) films are better made than they get credit for.
Then I must be a pervert, because I find Art entertaining.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Wow. I expected some surprises and disappointments, but not such big ones.

THE GOOD
-The Hurt Locker's 9 nominations, making it the most nominated film along with Avatar
-Screenplay nominations for In The Loop and The Messenger (both of which I predicted), which along with all the nominees in those two categories prove the screenwriters are still the smartest bunch in the Academy
-At least half of the acting nominations, but particularly Christopher Plummer's first nomination ever
-Of the bottom 5 Best Picture nominees (those without a directing nomination), very happy to see art house films like A Serious Man and An Education as well as commercial films like Up and District 9
-Every nominee for score, except Avatar (The Informant deserved to replace it)

THE BAD
-The Blind Side's Best Picture nomination
-Avatar's nomination for cinematography and set, which it should be inegligible for since 80% of it was crafted in a computer rather than actually building sets and setting up lights for a camera
-No nominations for Where The Wild Things Are, but particularly no song nomination
-Penelope Cruz for supporting actress over Moore, Morton, Cotillard, and Laurents
-Only one nomination for Bright Star

THE WTF
-Precious for editing
-Maggie Gyllenhaal for supporting actress, I have no idea if she does or does not deserve it but I am very surprised
-All the make-up nominees, but particularly the snub for District 9
-The Secret of Kells for animation and Paris 36 for song

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1265124337
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

My annual they are back from last year list:

Christopher Boyes (08 Sound Editing - Iron Man; 09 Sound Mixing - Avatar and 09 Sound Editing - Avatar)
Penelope Cruz (08 Supporting Actress - Vicky Cristina Barcelona; 09 Supporting Actress - Nine)
Burt Dalton (08 Visual Effects - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button; 09 Visual Effects - Star Trek)
Pete Docter (08 Original Screenplay - Wall-E; 09 Animated Feature - Up and 09 Original Screenplay - Up)
Tivi Magnusson (08 Live Action Short - The Pig; 09 Live Action Short - The New Tenants)
Tom Myers (08 Sound Mixing - Wall-E; 09 Sound Editing - Up)
Wylie Stateman (08 Sound Editing - Wanted; 09 Sound Editing - Inglourious Basterds)
Meryl Streep (08 Actress - Doubt; 09 Actress - Julie and Julia)

Cruz and Dalton are the only two who can make it back to back wins this year...they are the only winners from last year back at the big show.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

dreaMaker wrote:
criddic3 wrote:
dreaMaker wrote:I m glad Hans Zimmer finally got nominated after many years of nothing.
Hans Zimmer is an Oscar winner for 1994's "The Lion King." He also got a nod in 2000 for "Gladiator."
Of course I know that, just saying I'm glad he finally got nominated after he received no nominations for The Da Vinci Code, Last Samurai, Pearl Harbor or The Holiday...
Of those you listed, only "The Last Samurai" is, in my opinion, a good movie. That doesn't mean a score can't be nominated, but I bet it's one of the reasons most of those didn't make it. Da Vinci Code was widely panned, Pearl Harbor managed a few techs (the effects were quite good) and The Holiday was forgotten as soon as it came out.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

NOTHING for (500) Days of Summer? Fuck you, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

And I'm with Sabin on what to me is the year's biggest headscratcher among the technicals: Precious instead of Up In The Air for Editing (which I guess means it's no longer the third possibility horse for Best Picture.

Delighted that Maggie Gyllenhaal finally receives a nomination, even though she was more deserving in Happy Endings and SherryBaby.

Adam Shankman wanted big production numbers this year. Good luck with that, fell, with the song from Paris 36, the Weary Kind and the ballad, not the dance number, from 9.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I think there is room for both commercial and arthouse movies in a list of the "best" of the year. There's also a case to be made that commercial films can also have artistic value and vice versa. Some "art" films aren't really all that entertaining and some "commercial" (ie: emotionally satisfying, money-making) films are better made than they get credit for.

None of this is meant to suggest that I would pick "The Blind Side" for best picture, though I might consider "Star Trek."
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

criddic3 wrote:
dreaMaker wrote:I m glad Hans Zimmer finally got nominated after many years of nothing.
Hans Zimmer is an Oscar winner for 1994's "The Lion King." He also got a nod in 2000 for "Gladiator."
Of course I know that, just saying I'm glad he finally got nominated after he received no nominations for The Da Vinci Code, Last Samurai, Pearl Harbor or The Holiday...
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

criddic3 wrote:The only thing worse than middle-of-the-road Oscar nominees is the blatant snobbery in comparing "art" to "commerce." Condescension is not an appealing habit.

We all know that "The Blind Side" is not a masterpeice, but it is an entertaining and fairly well-made film that people responded to emotionally. It's comparable to the nomination of "Field of Dreams."
Actually, mmm, how shall I put it, the debate Art vs Commerce is quite an important one and, well, it dates back from even a few years before America was discovered. Ok, but this is history, boring, I know criddic.

But "condescending" is an interesting accusation. Usually directed at those who are right, of course. Still, isnt The Blind Side a "condescending" movie then?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The only thing worse than middle-of-the-road Oscar nominees is the blatant snobbery in comparing "art" to "commerce."

I don't agree. I think if anything, this is the PERFECT time to discuss this. Last year, two "commercial" films (The Dark Knight, WALL-E) lost to an "artistic" one. This year with the scope broadened to ten nominees, it's the perfect time to truly gauge whither lies the acumen of their sensibilities.

Condescension is not an appealing habit.

What if we asked "art" vs. "commerce" is a more appealing tone? Did a little soft-shoe? Can we do it then? :)
"How's the despair?"
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

The only thing worse than middle-of-the-road Oscar nominees is the blatant snobbery in comparing "art" to "commerce." Condescension is not an appealing habit.

We all know that "The Blind Side" is not a masterpeice, but it is an entertaining and fairly well-made film that people responded to emotionally. It's comparable to the nomination of "Field of Dreams."
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

ITALIANO wrote:[I love you Uri, but yes, "really good", you are the only one :)

See? Berlusconi brought luck to Israel!
I'm sure you'd like us to keep him for good, but we'll pass.

And I love you too.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Uri wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:Um... except I didn't like the film, sorry.

And congratulations.
Am I the only one here who think it's actually a really good film? (And a rare case when I'd consider nominating a film without nominating any of the people who made it).

And thank you.
I love you Uri, but yes, "really good", you are the only one :)

See? Berlusconi brought luck to Israel!
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

A Single Man only scored for Colin Firth. Boo. I don't think Julianne Moore campaigned at all, which may have made the difference, giving an undeserving Gyllenhall a chance to sneak in on the coattails of a good movie. The best scores of the year got left out as per the usual-A Single Man and the Informant. And my top two movies of the year both got the shaft.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Sonic Youth wrote:Um... except I didn't like the film, sorry.

And congratulations.

Am I the only one here who think it's actually a really good film? (And a rare case when I'd consider nominating a film without nominating any of the people who made it).

And thank you.

Edited By Uri on 1265121303
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

OscarGuy wrote:You maybe, but there are plenty more, even on this board, that are happy for both Up and District 9.
Yes, I know, it's the old story of Art vs Commerce, and I am still stubbornly (and naively) on the side of Art. Which is kind of frustrating when you deal with the Oscars of course.

Return to “82nd Nominations and Winners”