My predictions:

District 9
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
Star Trek
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

You know, it's this big, long, expensive (especially by the standards of contemporary Italian cinema) Sicilian family saga. As one can expect from Giuseppe Tornatore (and all that money), it's very well shot, the crowd scenes especially impressive. It was even too obviously made with an eye to the international market (and the Oscars); yet, compared to other movies by the same director, it's strangely less emotionally involving, and of course it deals with strictly Italian (actually Sicilian) poltics, so I don't know if the Academy will be so interested.

Vincere is more interesting, but when you have something like Baaria in your hands you can't NOT send it to the Oscars; I'd have made the same choice, regardless of my personal opinion on the movie.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Is Baaria not that good? I've heard some mildly positive things about it (though I was rooting for Vincere, because of Mezzogiorno). I have Il Divo sitting on my desk, and I'm quite looking forward to it.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Nice waking up early (which I hate) and getting this surprise. In such a competitive year for these things, Il Divo won't make it to a nomination, but its make-up is a perfect (and rare) example of the use of such an element in a contempory-set movie, and its inclusion in this list certainly a tribute to an Italian movie which was better than the one the Italian Foreign Film committee sent to the Oscars last year, and than the one they've sent this year.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I've only seen District 9, The Road, and Star Trek. I have to only imagine how outstanding the makeup in Doctor Parnassus is. So it certainly would warrant a nomination. At first glance, I would wager that the nominations are between the four of these. Star Trek has decent enough Romulan makeup, though certainly nothing exception in my opinion. That being said, never bet against Star Trek in this category, so it's in, as is probably Parnassus. Then it's between District 9 and The Road, which are both cases of excellent decrepit makeup transformations.

I want to say the nominees will be:
District 9
The Road

...but Star Trek's probably going to take the place of Doctor Parnassus or The Road.
"How's the despair?"
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Yay for the totally unanticipated inclusion of Il Divo!!!

They did nominate Mrs. Brown for Makeup, so perhaps The Young Victoria will be this year's head-scratcher nominee in this category.

And finally some love for The Road.

Edited By Damien on 1263261334
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

Wow, I certainly did not see that one coming. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Still, four out of seven is pretty good for me in this category, even at the last minute, I went with Coco Avant Chanel over The Young Victoria because I thought Chanel would sneak in by being favored as a costume design nominee (picked the wrong one there, didn't I? D'oh!). Did not see Il Divo or Night at the Museum 2 factoring into the race, but am surprised they decided to look over Harry Potter in favor of Night at the Museum. I guess this and Goblet of Fire are the only two that didn't make it into the finalists. Also, Il Divo's make-up team is the same two people that were behind Apocalypto (Vittorio Sodano & Aldo Signoretti), so perhaps their prestige helped carry them over. Still, at this point in the game, I wouldn't be surprised to see a nomination or two going out to Il Divo, since generally, make-up finalists seem to earn one or two nominations (the only ones that didn't earn any nominations were: Schenectady New York, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, 300, The Santa Clause 3, X-Men 3, The Libertine, De-Lovely, Hellboy, Peter Pan, Hannibal, Planet of the Apes, Bedazzled & Blast from the Past, which brings the tally to 13 out of 60 in the past decade.)

At this point, I'm guessing our nominees are going to be:

- District 9
- The Road
- Star Trek

With The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus as the possible upsetting nominee of The Road.
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

The nominees will be District 9, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, and Star Trek, with The Road as the only possible spoiler (unless Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian is this year's shitty Oscar-nominated movie, like Click and Norbit).
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Wow. Il Divo. Another pleasant surpise today after The White Ribbon's inclusion by the cinematographers.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Ask and ye shall receive. The Academy announced their finalists:

District 9
Il Divo
Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian
The Road
Star Trek
The Young Victoria
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It always just pops up. The Academy is relatively random in its finalists announcements.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

Does anyone know if the Academy has a specific date as to when they're going to announce the Make-Up finalists or is it just something that kind of pops up?

Either way, I'm predicting that the 7 finalists are going to be:
- Coco Avant Chanel
- District 9
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus
- The Road
- Sherlock Holmes
- Star Trek

With Inglorious Basterds being a possible upset if it's making any kind of waves with voters right now.
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation

Return to “82nd Nominations and Winners”