The Reminder List

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

FilmFan720 wrote:I think that what stands in Tilda Swinton's way is getting enough people to see the movie to nominate her into a surprise nomination.

Well, my buddy's grandfather is an Academy member and he doesn't fill out his ballot anymore because he's so old (hint, hint). So, this weekend my friend and I did it for him. Thanks to me, Tilda Swinton now has at least one #1 vote going into the nomination round. So does Rosamund Pike, for that matter (I figured Mo'Nique is already in, why not throw an underdog a bone?).

Edited By flipp525 on 1263238674
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

jowy_jillia wrote:Has Creation got it's qualification run yet? I know they sended out screeners one or two weeks ago.
I don't know. The only L.A. review I can find is Emmanuel Levy's on December 13th.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/author/author-1101/
jowy_jillia
Graduate

Post by jowy_jillia »

Big Magilla wrote:You can't believe everything you read on IMDb. Creation and Loss of a Teardrop Diamond were/will be given Oscar qualifying runs of at least one week in L.A. LOATD opens December 30th. I don't know anything about the Halle Berry film (Frankie and Alice) but I would imagine it, too, will be given an Oscar qualifying run.

Under present rules a film must open in L.A. no later than December 31st and play seven consecutive days.
Has Creation got it's qualification run yet? I know they sended out screeners one or two weeks ago.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I think that what stands in Tilda Swinton's way is getting enough people to see the movie to nominate her into a surprise nomination. There have been a handful of WTF nominations that came out where nobody was expecting them at all (Harden, Robert Forester, the Frozen River screenplay, Fernando Meirelles) but there were all for films that had buzz in other categories. People were checking out Pollock as a Best Actor candidate, saw how good she was and nominated her. For Julia, it is not a film contending in other categories (and not getting a lot of buzz outside of the awardsphere, and getting no mainstream awards buzz...I have heard more about the film--which is now in my instant Netflix queue--from this board than anywhere else), and getting people to watch it might be the uphill battle.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

You can't believe everything you read on IMDb. Creation and Loss of a Teardrop Diamond were/will be given Oscar qualifying runs of at least one week in L.A. LOATD opens December 30th. I don't know anything about the Halle Berry film (Frankie and Alice) but I would imagine it, too, will be given an Oscar qualifying run.

Under present rules a film must open in L.A. no later than December 31st and play seven consecutive days.
jowy_jillia
Graduate

Post by jowy_jillia »

The only things I can't understand is how Frankie and Alice, Creation and The Loss of a Teardrop Diamond could be eligible, isn't they being released in 2010. Creation and TLOATD has at least premiered in a festival, but Frankie and Alice is still listed as post-production?
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Wasn't Marcia Gay Harden a similar "out-of-nowhere" nominee? Not in the sense that people weren't talking about her performance and how great it was (and it really was -- what a fabulous win), but in the sense that she failed to garner several key nominations including Globes/SAG/BFCA/BAFTA/etc? I think she had the Independent Spirit nod and the New York Film Critics Circle for Best Supporting Actress and that was it.

I would absolutely love it if Swinton came up as the "surprise" nominee on Oscar Nominations morning.

Edited By flipp525 on 1261366287
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:Good to know Julia is on the list, though with Tilda Swinton not getting so much as a mention from the Broadcast Critics, Satellites, Globes or SAG, she doesn't seem to have much of a chance. The only thing that would likely make them sit up and take notice now would be a win from the National Society of Film Critics, which isn't exactly out of the question.
Her close second in NY makes her, in my view, exceedingly likely to be the National Society choice. At least the National Society as it's historically existed -- though Okri and I have lately wondered if that unit is really still around.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

It won the LA Film Critics award, so it likely played there. I think the latter explanation is probably the correct one, though it makes me want to punch IFC in the face.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Good to know Julia is on the list, though with Tilda Swinton not getting so much as a mention from the Broadcast Critics, Satellites, Globes or SAG, she doesn't seem to have much of a chance. The only thing that would likely make them sit up and take notice now would be a win from the National Society of Film Critics, which isn't exactly out of the question.

The Summer Hours may not have played L.A. or if it did, the producers may not have filed the necessary papers with AMPAS to get it recognized.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Whaddya know, Antichrist and In the Loop are on it, as is Julia. But not Summer Hours.

I don't get it.

link

Return to “82nd Nominations and Winners”