Honorary Oscars Announced - Bacall, Willis, Corman, and Calley

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Flipp, I was joking. I think Lauren Bacall is a lovely choice for an honorary Oscar, and Gordon Willis's work as a photographer is legendary, which makes it all the more frustrating I can't watch a telecast with them being honored.

And I don't really think Meryl Streep is ancient either. :p

Edited By The Original BJ on 1252687694
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Three great choices. But John Calley -- WTF?

How awesome that the director of The House of Usher is being Oscared. Lauren Bacall -- a highly deserving honoree.

It's absurd that they're not part of the actual Oscar telecast. The Academy's (screwey) thinking is that by not having these awards on the show, they can hand out more of them.

I don't recall Bacall being pouty over her shocking loss. I remember her being very gracious.

Edited By Damien on 1252687595
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm glad to see they are giving out more, though I am disappointed Miss Lansbury was not on this list. However, those Roger Corman fans should be excited by his receipt of this honorary award.

Although their original press release said these would not be televised, I would love it if someone did, such as TCM or some such...hopefully someone will agree to pay for it. It would be such a shame to not see it before then.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

If these awards are not shown until the Oscarcast in February all we will get is a snippet of the honorees saying thanks.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

great choices.... TO BE TELEVISED IN THE OSCARCAST NEXT FEBRUARY!
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Flipp, you ought to know BJ well enough by now to know he's being facetious.

I said at the time they announced the move of the Special Oscars to its own ceremony that the only thing that would make sense would be if they increased the number of awards they hand out. They've done that, so maybe it wasn't such a bad idea after all.

Now let's see if it's televised in prime time and if any more people watch it than watch the AFI and Kennedy Center awards.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

What's wrong with Lauren Bacall? Okay, she thought she'd win the Oscar 13 years ago for a scene-stealer in a subpar film and was maybe a little pouty about it. Even her best work aside (including her great performances in the unmentioned Written on the Wind and ), she's been a pretty consistent presence in such recent films as Birth, Dogville, Manderley (she's practically a von Trier staple) The Walker, etc.

I also think her classy performance in Misery adds an escalating sense of foreboding to the whole film. I support this one.

Gordon Willis is a Woody Allen staple and has done superb work throughout the years in some of my favorite films (Klute, Interiors, Godfather I & II, the gorgeously photographed Manhattan, Annie Hall, The Landlord even has excellent cinematography). Have you really never heard of him?

Edited By flipp525 on 1252685251
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Who in god's name would want to watch Lauren Bacall win an Honorary Oscar?

And who has ever even heard of that cinematographer?

Thank GOD they moved these out of the main ceremony.

I mean, the oldest actor I or anyone else cares about is Meryl Streep, and even SHE is pretty ancient so if this Academy group wants to recognize these super geezers, they better not do it on my airwaves.

Edited By The Original BJ on 1252683872
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Whenever a forum is open for the 82nd Awards, feel free to move this there.

----------------------------------
Actress Lauren Bacall, producer-director Roger Corman and cinematographer Gordon Willis are the first Oscar winners of the season.

The Board of Governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced Thursday that the three will receive honorary Oscar statuettes.

Bacall made her screen debut with Humphrey Bogart in ''To Have and Have Not'' in 1944. She went on to star in more than 30 films, including such classics as ''The Big Sleep'' and ''Key Largo.'' Corman has directed more than 50 films and produced more than 300 during his five-decade career, including ''It Conquered the World'' and ''The Little Shop of Horrors (1960). Willis is a two-time Academy Award nominee for ''Zelig'' and ''The Godfather, Part III.''

The board also voted to present the Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award to producer-executive John Calley. His producing credits include ''Postcards from the Edge,'' ''The Remains of the Day,'' for which he earned a Best Picture Oscar nomination, ''Closer'' and ''The Da Vinci Code.''

All four awards will be presented at the Academy's inaugural Governors Awards gala event on Nov. 14 in Hollywood.

Return to “82nd Nominations and Winners”