New rule for Best Picture Nominees

rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

No, no, no, no, no, no! :angry: :angry:
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

The Original BJ wrote:Whatever the outcome, it certainly just made this year a hell of a lot more interesting.
Oh, I disagree. For me it's exactly the opposite.

Now the "fun" will be in guessing which films will make the 8th-10th slots. Not quite as exciting, is it?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

On the one hand, I can totally see this move as opening the Best Picture category up to deserving indie films, foreign films, animated films, documentaries and genre films that normally fall short of a Best Picture nomination.

On the other hand, it can also make room for totally undeserving bloated Oscar-baiting pictures and ridiculous are-you-fucking-kidding-me movies.

The BFCA has 10 slots for Best Picture. I think if the Oscars had 10 Best Picture slots, the list would be close if not the same. Check them here.

Edited By anonymous on 1245867393
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I've got to say, this is honestly one of the most shocking developments in my decade-plus years of Oscar-watching. My major thoughts:

1. Conceivably, this could make the Best Picture lineups better. I think about all those situations in which really fine films get a handful of nominations but nonetheless, we're still depressed when they miss Best Picture. Most of us would probably imagine that films like Almost Famous, Far From Heaven, Eternal Sunshine, A History of Violence, Children of Men, and WALL-E would have likely placed in the top tens of their given years, and this would give what this year's equivalent of those films a Best Picture nomination.

2. But...given how easy it is to overestimate the Academy's taste, isn't it also pretty likely that the nomination lists would become a lot WORSE? Doesn't this open the door for more films like Monster's Ball, The Last Samurai, Cinderella Man, American Gangster, maybe last year's Frozen River, to land Best Picture nominations. Or let me put it this way...would the joy of seeing something like Children of Men in a Best Picture lineup be negated by nominations for BOTH Bobby and Blood Diamond?

3. How long is this going to last? This doesn't seem like a minor tweak (like, say, changing the first-ranked balloting system), but a major overturn of the cart. If the nominations don't please people next year, are we back to five? These days, I have a hard time coming up with ten films I'd like to see Best Picture-nominated. Is more nominees really necessary?

Whatever the outcome, it certainly just made this year a hell of a lot more interesting.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:Don't see what this is going to achieve.
I suspect they are hoping for more commercial films to be nominated for best picture, increasing the potential size of the TV audience. Had the nominees been expanded to ten last year, The Dark Knight and WALL-E might have been more serious contenders.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

LOL! There's going to be as many threads on this topic as there will be BP nominees.

I was going to post a thread myself until I saw the first two.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

BREAKING: Oscar’s Best Picture Nominees Will Expand to Ten

BY: Brad Brevet | June 24th 2009 at 11:34 AM

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has just announced in a small blurb the Oscars this year will be bumping their Best Picture nominees from five to ten beginning with the upcoming 2010 Oscars President Sid Ganis announced today at a press conference in Beverly Hills.

“After more than six decades, the Academy is returning to some of its earlier roots, when a wider field competed for the top award of the year,” said Ganis. “The final outcome, of course, will be the same – one Best Picture winner – but the race to the finish line will feature 10, not just five, great movies from 2009.”

The move is an obvious response to the recent discussion concerning The Dark Knight’s absence from the nominees for more art house style films such as The Reader and I would expect we can now look at Up as a serious contender for a Best Picture nominee when previous Pixar favorites Ratatouille and WALL-E were left in the cold.

“Having 10 Best Picture nominees is going allow Academy voters to recognize and include some of the fantastic movies that often show up in the other Oscar categories, but have been squeezed out of the race for the top prize,” commented Ganis. “I can’t wait to see what that list of ten looks like when the nominees are announced in February.”

Personally I am not sure what I think about the move as it obviously cheapens the category, but then again I guess it will all but eliminate the complaining. This also means my year-end predictions will now be more about predicting slots 8-10 than 1-5. Could be interesting… We’ll have to wait and see. What are your thoughts on it?

The 82nd Academy Awards nominations will be announced on Tuesday, February 2. The Oscar ceremony honoring films for 2009 will again take place at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center in Hollywood on March 7, 2010, and will be televised live by the ABC Television Network.
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Best Picture Nominee:</span>

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>THE HANGOVER</span>

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1245866627
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Don't see what this is going to achieve.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

No kidding.

They're going back to this.

Edited By anonymous on 1245866090
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Huh?

The next Oscars derby will be more heated – and crowded. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences just announced that the best-picture race will now include 10 contenders instead of five.

Between 1932 and 1943, that Oscars category usually spanned 10 films, but then switched to just five for the year spanning movies released in 1944. The most famous top 10 back then was the impressive list for 1939 when "Gone With the Wind" claimed the prize. The other nine notable nominees: "Dark Victory," "Goodbye, Mr. Chips," "Love Affair," "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington," "Ninotchka," "Of Mice and Men," "Stagecoach," "The Wizard of Oz" and "Wuthering Heights."

In 1931-32, there were eight nominees and in 1934 and 1935 there were 12 contenders.

"After more than six decades, the Academy is returning to some of its earlier roots, when a wider field competed for the top award of the year," said academy President Sid Ganis. "The final outcome, of course, will be the same – one Best Picture winner – but the race to the finish line will feature 10, not just five, great movies from 2009.

"Having 10 best picture nominees is going [to] allow academy voters to recognize and include some of the fantastic movies that often show up in the other Oscar categories, but have been squeezed out of the race for the top prize, Ganis added. "I can't wait to see what that list of ten looks like when the nominees are announced in February." Nominations will be announced Feb. 2.

Other film-award organizations announce top 10 lists these days, including the National Board of Review, Critics Choice Awards and the American Film Institute.

Return to “82nd Nominations and Winners”