"Lobster" Yorgos Lanthimos' new film

Cinemanolis
Adjunct

"Lobster" Yorgos Lanthimos' new film

Post by Cinemanolis »

It's seldom that i get excited about a greek film and even though i can't say that Lanthimos' cinema is my cup of tea it's hard not to be impressed by the cast of his first english language film.

Ben Whishaw, Jason Clarke, Olivia Colman, Lea Seydoux have signed on as well as his regulars Ariane Labed (Attenberg, Alps, Before Midnight) and Angeliki Papoulia (Dogtooth, Alps).

From the Guardian

The romantic drama meets the creature feature in The Lobster, a new film from Greek director Yorgos Lanthimos, in which lonely hearts are ordered to find a partner or face being turned into animals. Ben Whishaw and Olivia Colman are set to star in the production, which begins shooting next March.

The Lobster marks the English language debut for Lanthimos, who picked up a best foreign film Oscar nomination for his acclaimed 2009 film Dogtooth but has been based in the UK since 2011. Deadline reports that Whishaw and Colman will be joined in the cast by Jason Clarke and French actor Léa Seydoux. Clarke was recently seen in Zero Dark Thirty and The Great Gatsby, while Seydoux co-stars in the Palme d'Or-winning Blue is the Warmest Colour.

Set in a dystopian near future, The Lobster focuses on a group of single men and women who are brought to a sinister hotel and ordered to find a life partner within 45 days. Those who fail to find a mate are then transformed into animals and released into the woods.

The Lobster has been bankrolled as a British, Irish and Greek co-production with a script by Efthimis Filippou. Lanthimos and Filippou's previous oddball collaborations include Dogtooth, a stark thriller about life inside a gated community and the 2011 drama Alps, a quasi ghost-story in which actors are hired to impersonate the recently deceased. The Lobster, however, could prove to be the wildest beast of all.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/oc ... himos-film

Return to “Coming Soon”