Star Wars: Episode VII (2015)

MovieWes
Professor

Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015)

Post by MovieWes »

BREAKING: The Star Wars: Episode VII Cast Announced!

Walt Disney Pictures and Lucasfilm have announced the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII! Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film. Click the photo above for a bigger version!

Director J.J. Abrams says, "We are so excited to finally share the cast of 'Star Wars: Episode VII.' It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again. We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud."

Star Wars: Episode VII is being directed by J.J. Abrams from a screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan and Abrams. Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, and John Williams returns as the composer. The movie opens worldwide on December 18, 2015.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Lucas: 'Star Wars VII' to reunite original stars
'Star Wars' creator George Lucas reveals Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill will return for the new installment.

Star Wars creator George Lucas says the films' original megastars -- Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher -- "have already signed" on to return to the screen for Star Wars: Episode VII.

Lucas told Bloomberg Businessweek that the signings came even before Disney bought LucasFilm in December.

"We had already signed Mark, Carrie and Harrison -- or we were pretty much in the final stages of negotiation. So I called them to say, 'Look, this is what's going on,'" Lucas said in the interview before realizing that he might be spoiling a big Disney announcement.

"Maybe I'm not supposed to say that," he added. "I think they want to announce that with some big whoop-de-do, but we were negotiating with them."

Ford starred as Han Solo, Fisher as Princess Leia and Hamill as Luke Skywalker in the first three Star Wars films, beginning with 1977's Star Wars and going until Return of the Jedi in 1983.

To keep some semblance of suspense about the return for the new film due out in 2015, Lucas then added: "I won't say whether negotiations were successful or not."

A Disney representative had no comment on the report.

One thing's definitely clear: Director J.J. Abrams has been announced as director of the seventh live-action Star Wars film.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

No. Not just no, but hell no. Keep Shia LaBoeuf away from this.

That being said, what about Sean Patrick Flanery who played Young Inidian Jones? He really was not at all bad in the role and it would be an interesting choice. The only issue is that Flanery is now 48 and will be closer to 50 when the film is made, so he's still a bit old for playing a "young" Harrison Ford.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

MovieWes wrote:Not even sure how I feel about the news about the two recently announced spin-off films, especially since the Han Solo spin-off is going to revisit the prequel era. The Boba Fett film is set between Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back and is being written by Lawrence Kasdan, so that one might be good. However, the Han Solo movie is being written by Simon Kinberg, who wrote X-Men III: The Last Stand and Mr. and Mrs. Smith, so it has a high potential for sucking. Plus, how can you re-cast Han Solo? Boba Fett has the advantage of being masked throughout the films, so he could be played by anyone, but the character of Han Solo is so associated in peoples' minds to Harrison Ford, they're taking a huge risk by giving the role to a younger actor. Not that it's even a possibility that Ford could reprise the role in a prequel, so I think it's probably best if they leave well enough alone and not make this film. Even if they do find a talented young actor to play Han Solo, it's not as if anyone embraced Ewan McGregor as Obi-wan Kenobi in the prequels, and he was already an acclaimed actor when he took the role. Obi-wan is, and always will be, Alec Guinness. Same goes with Han Solo and Harrison Ford.
Maybe that kid from the last Indy Jones film could be cast. If he's good enough to play the son of Indy Jones he's good enough to play a young Han Solo.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Not even sure how I feel about the news about the two recently announced spin-off films, especially since the Han Solo spin-off is going to revisit the prequel era. The Boba Fett film is set between Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back and is being written by Lawrence Kasdan, so that one might be good. However, the Han Solo movie is being written by Simon Kinberg, who wrote X-Men III: The Last Stand and Mr. and Mrs. Smith, so it has a high potential for sucking. Plus, how can you re-cast Han Solo? Boba Fett has the advantage of being masked throughout the films, so he could be played by anyone, but the character of Han Solo is so associated in peoples' minds to Harrison Ford, they're taking a huge risk by giving the role to a younger actor. Not that it's even a possibility that Ford could reprise the role in a prequel, so I think it's probably best if they leave well enough alone and not make this film. Even if they do find a talented young actor to play Han Solo, it's not as if anyone embraced Ewan McGregor as Obi-wan Kenobi in the prequels, and he was already an acclaimed actor when he took the role. Obi-wan is, and always will be, Alec Guinness. Same goes with Han Solo and Harrison Ford.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Take this from someone who doesn't like Star Wars and couldn't really care less: I don't know how much of Stat Trek's reimagining was J.J.'s ideas, but they were all very smart for a long term series engagement. Who knows exactly what Lucas has in mind for this next trilogy but Michael Arndt's greatest skill allegedly is his ability to work tons of notes into a coherent engaging whole. Honestly, this pairing makes a lot of sense. I expect the result to be as much Star Wars: The New Class as Star Trek: The New Class. Meh.

Star Trek has always had the leg up on Star Wars in its ability to create new characters and struggles. Star Wars has really never done more than rehash the adventures of the original characters. They're going to have to work hard to get me to care about whatever they're going to do in Lucas' mishmash world. Wake me when Bryan Singer is done with the new X-Men movie.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Considering I don't care much for JJ Abrams as a filmmaker and Michael Arndt doesn't exactly inspire passion in my mind. His career has been uneven. While Little Miss Sunshine is a decent film, it's not a great one. Toy Story 3 is undeniably great, but that was largely a screenwriting ensemble. Next up for him is Oblivion and then Catching Fire and then Phineas and Ferb. I don't have much hope for Oblivion, Phineas and Ferb isn't familiar to me other than by name and Catching Fire could be good or bad, but that will be a fault more of a weak director than a weak screenplay.

Hinging entirely on the Abrams appointment, I'm rather ambivalent to the prospects of the new film.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

There is now a chance for this new trilogy to be better than the previous films. While I didn't hate any of the prequels, they were lacking in some areas (particularly the dialogue). The hiring of Arndt and Abrams is a sign that they want to make good films, and not just to cash in. With the possible addition of roles for the original cast members, anticipation should once again be high by the time the release occurs.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
MovieWes
Professor

Star Wars: Episode VII (2015)

Post by MovieWes »

Actually I'm quite surprised that no one has started a thread about this project since it's been in the news so much over the past few months. I'm curious to know what everyone thinks now that George Lucas is out and Michael Arndt and J.J. Abrams are in. Any excitement at all or is everyone done with Star Wars after the prequel debacle?

One thing's for sure, though. Between this, The Avengers 2, and Justice League, summer 2015 is looking to be one of the biggest ever.

Return to “Coming Soon”