Rob Marshall to direct film adaptation of Into the Woods

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Rob Marshall to direct film adaptation of Into the Woods

Post by Big Magilla »

I think Meryl is a good choice. Hidden behind makeup, the role can pretty much be played by anyone of any age who can move, but is there really an audience for Into the Woods?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

It looks like this is definitely happening.

Meryl Streep has been cast the Witch..

She seems a tad too old. I always imagined someone like Catherine Zeta-Jones or Nicole Kidman in the role.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

FilmFan720 wrote: (and are Chicago and Hairspray the only recent adaptations that made any money?)?
Mamma Mia! was a huge hit.

Sweeney Todd, Dreamgirls and The Phantom of the Opera are modest successes if you factor in foreign gross.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't think anyone is nipping at the seams. What I said was I would rather...
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Magilla, I didn't think anyone wanted to see a Sunset Blvd. movie!

While this certainly seems the most cinematic of Sondheim's shows, I felt like we were past the age where every show needs a film version. There really isn't much need for this (although this is admittedly my least favorite of his shows), and the curiosity factor of seeing what Jim Henson would do with it has sadly passed. Maybe we just let it be a successful stage show that doesn't need the exposure (and seeing what Marshall did to a far greater musical, I am afraid of just how he would hack into this one).

Why is anyone really nipping at the seams to make another movie musical (and are Chicago and Hairspray the only recent adaptations that made any money?)?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Exactly. I'd much rather see the long promised Follies and Sunset Blvd. finally make it to the screen. An energized remake of Carousel with Hugh Jackman which has long been talked about, might be worth seeing but this belongs on the junk heap along with the now foroggten plans to remake Damn Yankees and My Fair Lady. Fo anyone interested in seeing Into the Woods on screen thre is a DVD of the PBS produciton with Bernadette Peters and the rest of the original cast available.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

OscarGuy wrote:I think he could handle Into the Woods. It's a challenging musical, but not one of measurable depth (much more like Chicago than Nine) and his directing of the latest Pirates film wasn't bad, so it could work. But who else could really do it justice at this point? There aren't a lot of great musical directors out there.
But why should it be done at all?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think he could handle Into the Woods. It's a challenging musical, but not one of measurable depth (much more like Chicago than Nine) and his directing of the latest Pirates film wasn't bad, so it could work. But who else could really do it justice at this point? There aren't a lot of great musical directors out there.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Don't worry, this is the third time a planned film version of Into the Woods has been in devlopment. Like most announced film versions f Broadway musicals it will probably not see the light of day. An even scarier notion is his planned remake of The Thin Man with Johnny Depp.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

You'd think after Nine -- which is not only one of the worst film musicals ever but also grossed a grand total of $19 million -- that Rob Marshall would never be allowed near a film musical again.

Don't get me wrong I love Hollywood.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Rob Marshall to direct film adaptation of Into the Woods

Post by anonymous1980 »

Story

I don't know what to think of this, really. Rob Marshall hasn't done anything great cinematically since Chicago.

Return to “Coming Soon”