201X: Mad Max 4

MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Confirmed: Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron starring in two new 'Mad Max' movies

As recently as March 2009, George Miller seemed resigned to the idea that he was never going to get the chance to make a "Mad Max" sequel in live-action, and he seemed like he was moving on to the notion of making an anime-inspired CGI "Mad Max" movie. I understand his frustration, since I've been feeling it as a fan for years now. I still ache to get my hands on the original pre 9/11 script for "Fury Road," which supposedly wasn't even in conventional screenplay format, but was instead a bound set of storyboards, a visual roadmap for the proposed film.

So it's hard for me to believe that right now, somewhere in the world, George Miller is standing on a set making a "Mad Max" film in live-action. It is truly a wonderful world we live in.

And now, making it even more wonderful, Todd Brown of Twitch broke the rumor this morning that Miller is not making one film, but actually two back-to-back for a giant "Mad Max" epic. There's been a fair amount of discussion back and forth online all day about whether this rumor will pan out or not, but HitFix can now confirm that, according to sources, Miller is indeed making two films at the same time.

Certainly makes sense of the statment Thomas Hardy made at the "Inception" junket when he mentioned that he was going to be shooting for an entire year. That's a huge commitment for a cast to make, and I know when I spoke to Teresa Palmer at the press day for "The Sorcerer's Apprentice," she was genuinely distraught that her schedule on "I Am Number Four" had forced her to drop out of the film. As an Australian, she grew up on the films, and she's known Miller for a while, having almost starred in his "Justice League" film at one point.

In Todd's original story today, he said that the two film will individually be titled "Fury Road" and "Furiosa." Makes me wonder if Hardy's character passes the mantle to Charlize Theron's character in some way, since "Furiosa" is just the feminine version of "furious" in Italian or Portuguese. I like the way the two titles work together, and since I know absolutely nothing about the actual storyline of the two films or how they're going to play off of each other, that little hint in the titles at least suggests that this is going to be about a larger world than we've seen in these films before, and that Max may not be the only one who's mad these days.

I can honestly say there are very few films in production anywhere in the world that I am more curious about than these. I think Thomas Hardy is amazing (if you haven't seen "Bronson" yet, what is the matter with you?) and after "Inception," I think there will be more fans for him than ever before. And Theron is one of the few gorgeous Hollywood lead actresses who I genuinely believe could train up into a wicked badass killing machine. There's something about her that just doesn't seem like the same gym-trained pretend tough that we so often have to accept from our mainstream action leads.

It's exciting to realize that George Miller's back in the saddle and Max is back on the road. The one big question that remains for me today is what Miller is going to do about the alleged Mel Gibson cameo in the films. At this point, even though it would be a lovely way to tie the films together, it may be more trouble than it's worth for the studio. I suspect we've seen the last studio movie featuring Mr. Gibson in any significant role, and even with "The Beaver" already finished and building some very good buzz from those who have seen it, it's pretty safe to bet Mel's days as a movie star ended conclusively this week.

"Mad Max: Fury Road" is currently set for a 2012 release date, and depending on what time of year it is, we may see "Furiosa" in the same year, or at some point in 2013.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Sam Worthington to star in Mad Max 4: Fury Road

Melbourne (ANI): Australian actor Sam Worthington has been tipped to play the lead role in the latest movie of the Mad Max franchise. The Terminator Salvation star will reportedly share the screen with Charlize Theron in the Mad Max 4: Fury Road.

According to The Daily Telegraph, the project, to be shot in Sydney and Outback New South Wales (NSW), would see tens of millions of dollars pumped into the economy, creating more than 500 jobs, reports News.com.au.

Producer and director George Miller praised NSW for bagging the project, saying it would further put Sydney on the map. He said: "Hollywood has cut its production in half. Big movies like Fury Road and Happy Feet are rare and competitively sought after in all the filmmaking regions of the world.

"The production agreements have been a long time in the making and Premier Rees and his team has worked like Trojans to ensure this substantial investment comes into this country."Not only does it help fuel the local economy but it means many talented people get a chance to practise their craft and lift their skills."
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I know that Mel Gibson is not very popular around here, but let my say that if he doesn't portray Mad Max in this film, I'm staying away. Nobody but Mel Gibson should be allowed to play Mad Max.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Pre-Production Starting on Mad Max 4
Source:The Daily Telegraph
October 24, 2009

Just a few days after it was reported that Charlize Theron and Tom Hardy are in the running to star in George Miller's fourth Mad Max movie, The Daily Telegraph says that work on the film will start immediately and that filming will take place in Sydney and Outback NSW.

The newspaper says that a lot of the work will be done at Redfern's CarriageWorks and there will also be 30 weeks of filming in Broken Hill. It is estimated the whole project will take two-and-a-half years to complete.

Miller said: "The production agreements have been a long time in the making and Premier Rees and his team have worked like Trojans to ensure this substantial investment comes into this country. Not only does it help fuel the local economy but it means many talented people get a chance to practice their craft and lift their skills."

CarriageWorks will be used for the development work for the film, as well as Miller's Happy Feet 2.

Filming is expected to start next year.

Return to “Coming Soon”