Merrily We Roll Along (2039)

danfrank
Assistant

Re: Merrily We Roll Along (2039)

Post by danfrank »

dws1982 wrote:
danfrank wrote: Interesting to think about him being overexposed, as I’m pretty sure about 90% of people have never heard of him.
He isn't overexposed yet, but I fear he's about to start showing up in a whole bunch of movies, whether or not he's appropriate for it. Maybe not though. Josh O'Connor was seemingly everywhere about a year ago, and he seems to have taken a step back. (Or maybe he's just so busy going from set to set making one movie after another that we haven't seen much of him.)
I agree. This is a critical point in his career and his role choices now—quality AND quantity—will have an outsized impact on his overall trajectory. Of course my preference is that he choose artful films and roles suited to him (sensitive, thoughtful), but you can’t blame an actor for cashing in with the occasional blockbuster schlock. Let’s just hope it’s very occasional.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

danfrank wrote: Interesting to think about him being overexposed, as I’m pretty sure about 90% of people have never heard of him.
He isn't overexposed yet, but I fear he's about to start showing up in a whole bunch of movies, whether or not he's appropriate for it. Maybe not though. Josh O'Connor was seemingly everywhere about a year ago, and he seems to have taken a step back. (Or maybe he's just so busy going from set to set making one movie after another that we haven't seen much of him.)
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Okri wrote:I like him a lot, but I did raise my eyebrows at the news he was cast in the Gladiator sequel.
Me, too, though I like the idea of him in Merrily We Roll Along. I’ve heard him sing, he seems a natural. Singing Sondheim is at a whole other level, though.

Interesting to think about him being overexposed, as I’m pretty sure about 90% of people have never heard of him. I can imagine his agent encouraging him to do something like Gladiator so that more people will know his name.

He’s a major talent. If he (and his handlers) plays his cards right we could be hearing his name at many future Oscar ceremonies.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I like him a lot, but I did raise my eyebrows at the news he was cast in the Gladiator sequel.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Feel like Mescal is about to hit a period of major overexposure.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I love Sondheim,
I love Merrily We Roll Along,
I love Linklater,
I love Boyhood...

This sounds like the stupidest idea ever.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Anyone taking bets on how long the project will last before it's abandoned?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Merrily We Roll Along (2039)

Post by anonymous1980 »

Richard Linklater will adapt Sondheim's musical Merrily We Roll Along...

It will star Ben Platt, Blake Jenner and Beanie Feldstein....and shoot it over the course of 20 years.

Return to “Coming Soon”