Hi

All new members must send a PM (Private Message) to OscarGuy via the PM system in order to get access.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Cool. Dallas is a nice city, although I haven't been there in years. But Go Cowboys! (although I can do without Mark Cuban and his Dallas Mavericks, lol) :)

Anyway, if you ever want to attend a good film festival in Texas, there are two good ones in Austin. There's the SXSW Film Festival in March and the Austin Film Festival in November. But then, I guess since you don't have time to attend any of your local ones, you certainly don't have time to attend any out-of-town ones either. But, it's just FYI.

Edited By MovieWes on 1222125238
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
MerryKarma
Graduate

Post by MerryKarma »

Well, happily - I guess - my name is not Steph. It's Mary Kay.

I live near Dallas.

I know that Dallas has a couple of film festivals, but being that I work (and not in the industry - in medicine) I haven't yet had the pleasure to attend any.

Penelope - Thank you for giving me the 4-1-1. Nice to meet ya!

Nice to meet all of you.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Hi MerryKarma! Welcome!( As long as your name isn't Steph.)
( that is a ba-a-a-d inside joke. You'll find out why soon enough!)
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Yes, by the way, I'm a guy. Don't let the nom de web fool you.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Welcome, MerryKarma! It's great to have a genuine female voice on this board. Your demographic is vastly unrepresented. I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say that we all look forward to your contributions and perspective.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Welcome!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Welcome, fellow Texan! Glad to see I'm not the only one anymore! :)

Where in Texas do you live? I'm from San Antonio.

Edited By MovieWes on 1222096416
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Welcome. You have the distinction of being one of our few females.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Welcome, Merry. Jump right in and have fun!
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Welcome to the UAADB, Merry. We have a lot of strong personalities here, so don't be afraid to stand your ground. And always take what people say with a grain of salt, for whether we're at each other's throats or gently patting each other on the back, we are still a strong family community that has been together mostly for the last 10 years and so we have developed a certain kinship. And, so sometimes we forget that new people don't know us too well and we'll go vicious. But, as Zahveed, barrybrooks and dreaMaker can attest, once you get used to us, we're really fun (or really scary, but still fun).

Anyway, it's always nice to have new people around, so don't be too afraid to dive right into discussions.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1222101429
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
MerryKarma
Graduate

Post by MerryKarma »

Well, thanks, y'all.
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Outleagued is a feeling I've come to embrace. You soon will too. :)
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Penelope wrote:Not to worry; I think I speak for all of us that we enjoy sharing our love of movies, even when we disagree (and trust me, we have plenty of disagreements here *cough Hilary Skank cough*).

What about the old classics: The Hours, The English Patient vs Fargo, Out of Africa (in general), La Vita é Bella (specially Benigni's award over McKellan), A Place in the Sun vs A Streetcar Named Desire, Shakespeare vs SPR, the 80's in general, The Thin Red Line lovers vs haters, is Dr Zhivago a masterpiece or a piece of pure and finest bore?, is Original Song a category of some value?

Non-film related topics can be very interesting too, and the greatest thing is that the board is actually open to some controversy and discrepancy and different points of view.

We can be very passionate about some issues, some films, we love them but we share that same passion... and Merry, we grow accoustumed to ourselves. In this big distance, I really like this people... So welcome and hope to see your comments any time soon ad see you around for a long time! Just don't feel outleagued... you'll get the spirit...

Edited By HarryGoldfarb on 1222048871
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Not to worry; I think I speak for all of us that we enjoy sharing our love of movies, even when we disagree (and trust me, we have plenty of disagreements here *cough Hilary Skank cough*).

Edited By Penelope on 1222047690
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
MerryKarma
Graduate

Post by MerryKarma »

Thank you for the welcomes.

I've been doing some lurking today to see what's what.

Man, I feel outleagued.

Return to “Let Me Introduce Myself...”