Les Miserables

HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Re: Les Miserables

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Apparently Emma Watson was in talks to play Cosette, but she's now out of the project. The other mentioned actress to play the role were Hayden Panettiere, Miranda Cosgrove, and Lucy Hale but so far there is no official comment on the matter.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Update: Russell Crowe, not Paul Bettany, has been signed to play Javert. Anne Hathaway will play Fantine with Helena Bonhan Carter and possibly Geoffrey Rush cast as the Thenadiers
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm still waiting for Hugh to bring Boy from Oz to the big screen.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I also love the show. But I agree with dws in the fact that not only is it mostly sung through, the lyrics and music are highly theatrical which may work on the stage but can very much easily come off as a campy, unintentionally funny train wreck on screen and probably will not win over non-musical theater fans.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Supposedly this is back on track with Tom Hooper directing. Hugh Jackman has signed to play Jean Valjean and Paul Bettany is Javert. Hope Bettany is a legitimate singer, because Javert's big song ("Stars") is one of the very best songs in the show.

I like the show a lot, but I really don't know how this is going to work as a film, or how modern-day movie audiences are going to react to a sung-through musical. Hope it doesn't totally get ruined.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Taken from Wikipedia...

"Although numerous films of the Les Misérables story have been made, no adaptation of the musical has yet been produced. A film adaptation of the musical has been in development, on and off, since the late 1980s. Alan Parker was reported to be attached to the adaptation at an early stage. In 1992, Cameron Mackintosh announced that the movie would be directed by Bruce Beresford and co-produced by Tri-Star Pictures, but this project was abandoned some time later. After several years in development hell interest was renewed in late 2005, though as of 2008, no concrete details have come to light"

What's that renewed interest they're talking about? Does anybody know anything about this? Do you have some ideas for a possible cast?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)

Return to “Dream Projects”