Best Supporting Actress 2012

Who is your choice for Best Supporting Actress of 2012 from amongst the Oscar nominees?

Amy Adams - The Master
18%
Sally Field - Lincoln
16%
Anne Hathaway - Les Misérables
46%
Helen Hunt - The Sessions
14%
Jacki Weaver - Silver Linings Playbook
5%

Total votes: 56

mojoe92
Graduate

Re: Best Supporting Actress 2012

Post by mojoe92 »

This dude STILL won't shut the fuck up about this.

You're pathetic and no I didn't create any accounts. You know how long this has been going on for? Legit almost 5 years now. Move on. You're quite sad[/quote]
Even the admins don't believe you. They said the URL for all the same accounts matched yours. Just give it up, dude.[/quote]

5 years. Get a new hobby man. 5 years.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

mojoe92 wrote:
ksrymy wrote:
CalWilliam wrote:Why Anne Hathaway has SO many votes in this poll?
We had a user named mojoe92 (he's posted below) who created about 20 different accounts to skew these polls in his own favor. They only show up in places he's passionate about such as with Jacki Weaver, Ronee Blakley, Quinn Cummings, and more.

You're pathetic and no I didn't create any accounts. You know how long this has been going on for? Legit almost 5 years now. Move on. You're quite sad
Even the admins don't believe you. They said the URL for all the same accounts matched yours. Just give it up, dude.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

ksrymy wrote:
We had a user named mojoe92 (he's posted below) who created about 20 different accounts to skew these polls in his own favor. They only show up in places he's passionate about such as with Jacki Weaver, Ronee Blakley, Quinn Cummings, and more.

You're pathetic and no I didn't create any accounts. You know how long this has been going on for? Legit almost 5 years now. Move on. You're quite sad
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Which is what I said.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Big Magilla wrote:
ksrymy wrote:
That isn't the case here or there would be 20 votes for Jacki Weaver, besides which he only created 12 or 13 accounts and the bogus accounts were open and closed about a year and a half earlier.

It's a legitimate vote. Hathaway's performance was very popular. Even people who didn't like the film liked her performance, though I doubt many would consider it one of their top ten favorite wins in this category.
This poll happened after Wes banned all the fake accounts.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ksrymy wrote:
That isn't the case here or there would be 20 votes for Jacki Weaver, besides which he only created 12 or 13 accounts and the bogus accounts were open and closed about a year and a half earlier.

It's a legitimate vote. Hathaway's performance was very popular. Even people who didn't like the film liked her performance, though I doubt many would consider it one of their top ten favorite wins in this category.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

Looks like someone has a crush on Hathaway.
CalWilliam
Temp

Post by CalWilliam »

Why Anne Hathaway has SO many votes in this poll?
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Just posting to show where all those false votes went.
mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

I am glad to see that Anne Hathaway is not leading in this category as her role in the awful film Les Miserables was way too over the top. If anyone truly deserved a nomination in that film it was Samantha Barks but even then is it a stretch.

My choice is Jacki Weaver

Jacki Weaver- I only went into seeing Silver Linings Playbook for one reason- Jacki Weaver- I fell in love with her when I first saw her 3 years ago in Animal Kingdom, a role that she was so perfect in she deserved to win that year as well. Now I agree with a LOT of people, Jacki doesn't have a whole lot to do in this film, but what she has to work with she shined completely. It goes to show you the complete 180 in acting she can portray after seeing such a ruthless villain in Animal Kingdom, to this lovely housewife who loves her boys but is stuck in between trying to keep the peace. She truly is a scene stealer. I remember watching in the theaters when the fight scene in the attic broke loose between Bob & bradley and my eyes were only attracted to Weaver as she pulls the attention to her with the way she reacts to the guys. THAT right there is true acting and talent. Jacki is and will always be the true winner of this award for me

Helen Hunt- The Sessions' lone Nomination. Hunt was good, but the biggest problem was that damn accent. It was way too distracting to even fully pay attention to the performance. If this nomination came in a year like 2008, where the line-up was really extremely weak ( where the only good actress nominated was Marisa Tomei that year) instead of this year which was just a regular weak year, then Helen would definitely had a better chance to win

Sally Field- In my opinion the only other actress in this category who deserved a nomination other than Weaver. Sally is divine, and really brought forth a new light to Mary. In history books Mary is always described as a burden who is in the way. At least here Sally brings some humanity to her and makes her a fighter. My second choice to win

Amy Adams- After viewing the master 3 times I still cannot figure out what Adams did here to garner a nomination. She didn't play any cord any different then her character in ( dare I say it) Cruel Intentions 2. That's what I thought of right away. I was taken back to that 2001 straight to video awful film... Adams didn't give us ditzy love (Junebug) or a scared woman (Doubt) or a bad ass bitch ( The Fighter) she gave us... plain jane.. nothing special

Anne Hathaway............No

My choices
1- Jacki Weaver- Silver Linings Playbook
2- Sally Field- Lincoln
3- Marianne Jean Baptiste- Won't Back Down
4- Carmen Ejogle- Sparkle
5- Rebel Wilson- Pitch Perfect

Alternatives
1- Salma Hayek- Savages
2- Lena Heady- Dredd 3D
3- Charlize Theron- Prometheus or Snow White, either were deserving
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Finally - after what? 120 years of movies - we get an A-grade American movie with A-grade American actors which deals only, and openly, with sex - full frontal nudity included. And, sure enough, one of them is a disabled person, the other is a professional sex surrogate. That this is the only way American cinema can accept sex as a "serious subject" says alot about America, but I'd still forgive The Sessions if it were a bit deeper, if its characters - while certainly based on real-life people - were, well, real, believable. But it's as if the filmmakers were satisfied with the boldness of the main situation and were kind of scared of doing much more with the (potentially interesting) material. The movie goes from point A to point B to point C in a rather flat, uninvolving way. The two actors do what they can, and they are certainly good and professional; but John Hawkes obviously can't survive a character which, as wtitten, is only, and sadly, "the-man-in-an-iron-lung", not else. The Academy should be praised, I guess, for ignoring him as it should be probably praised for nominating Helen Hunt, who at least finds some traces of humanity in her rather sketchy role. But she doesn't deserve more than a nomination.

This leaves Amy Adams, whom I have never found very interesting but who's extremely well used by her director in this movie. There's obviously a dark side in this bland-looking actress - and while Paul Thomas Anderson must be credited for having brought it on the surface, she had the intelligence to accept such a complex role and an Oscar would have been, I guess, an adquate reward.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
I'm with Eric on the lack of interest here. There wasn't even an alternative of particular note; ones that come to mind -- Dowd in Compliance, Rosemarie deWitt in Your Sister's Sister -- are at least borderline leads.
They're leads, and normally I would disparage any attempt to shoehorn such leads into this category. But it's so dire a lineup that were these two nominated here (and I believe I have them as my Number #1 and Number #2 choices for Best Actress), I wouldn't find it anything other than a pleasant surprise.

Best Supporting Actress (my lineup this year of true supporting actresses would all be from films I disliked)
1. Megalyn Echikunwoke, Damsels in Distress
2. Carrie MacLemore, Damsels in Distress
3. Anne Hathaway, The Dark Knight Rises
4. Jenica Bergere, Safety Not Guaranteed
5. Jennifer Ehle, Zero Dark Thirty
"How's the despair?"
bizarre
Assistant

Post by bizarre »

Selena Gomez / Spring Breakers
* Cody Horn / Magic Mike
Besedka Johnson / Starlet
Léa Seydoux / Sister
Emma Watson / The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Helen Hunt was the only one in this line up who warranted even so much as a nomination and she was in the wrong category.

I am going to give The Master another go. I've ordered the Blu Ray which I should receive soon but goodness knows when, if ever I will get around to it.

It was actually quiet a good year for supporting actresses. They generally just happened to be in films that were not widely seen or were forgotten because the lead actress of their film (Helen Hunt) was shunted to supporting.

My choices:

1. Traci Lords (Excision)
2. Ann Dowd (Compliance) Borderline lead/supporting
3. Ivy Mak (Careless Love)
4. Moon Bloodgood (The Sessions) One of the real supporting actresses of The Sessions
5. Robin Weigert (The Sessions) She may only have three scenes but she does more in them then Weaver does in the background of her film
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”