Bruno

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Laughable.

Edited By flipp525 on 1263046913
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Well, I mean, considering that the situation was surreal and you ran faster, yes, I can't deny that there are moments when I'd have gladly joined the group of hicks. And I run fast, too.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

ITALIANO wrote:Well, what they did was terrible and I hope it doesnt happen often in America. But I must admit that, considering that you werent hit or hurt, it made me smile a bit...
This is just weird. You smiled to yourself at the thought of me being chased? Ooookay.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Nice double entendre there.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

As in you didn't provoke it...Guy Pearce did incite the situation.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

OscarGuy wrote:Minus the provocation, it reminds me of the scene in Priscilla where Guy Pearce is being chased by a bunch of redneck Australians.
Minus what provocation though? I didn't do anything other than, I don't know, look good in a tank!

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Minus the provocation, it reminds me of the scene in Priscilla where Guy Pearce is being chased by a bunch of redneck Australians.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Well, what they did was terrible and I hope it doesnt happen often in America. But I must admit that, considering that you werent hit or hurt, it made me smile a bit...
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

ITALIANO wrote:
flipp525 wrote: A couple of them looked like a group of hicks that ran after me down the street throwing bottles and rocks at me screaming 'FAGGOT!' some years ago. Lucky for me, I was a state semi-finalist in the hurdles and I'm fast as fuck.

Yes, good for you, but what had you done to them? I mean, why did they start running after you?

The horrific crime of walking down the street in an extra-tight tank top.

Edited By flipp525 on 1262894121

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

That sounds like a scene from a movie, Flipp.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

flipp525 wrote: A couple of them looked like a group of hicks that ran after me down the street throwing bottles and rocks at me screaming 'FAGGOT!' some years ago. Lucky for me, I was a state semi-finalist in the hurdles and I'm fast as fuck.
Yes, good for you, but what had you done to them? I mean, why did they start running after you?
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Oh, I couldn't agree more, Zahveed. There was a lot of very obvious baiting going on throughout the movie, particularly in that hunting scene. Those guys didn't seem all that bad, to be honest, but who isn't going to freak out when a naked man is standing outside of your tent trying to snuggle up to you?

The people in the Arkansas arena now, however, displayed some truly ugly reactions that, for me, were bordering on frightening. Not that Cohen should've expected any better, but it was an angry mob mentality for sure. A couple of them looked like a group of hicks that ran after me down the street throwing bottles and rocks at me screaming 'FAGGOT!' some years ago. Lucky for me, I was a state semi-finalist in the hurdles and I'm fast as fuck.

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

One of the networks did a special like that for primetime. It was "What Would You Do?" or something. Some of it was kind of sickening when they sided with the aggressors (actors), but there were a lot of people that stood up for the victims too (also actors). Then they went to France with a couple of actors as "typical Americans", a rude, overweight couple with American flag t-shirts that praised Bush. The French just kind of laughed at them and ignored them and their hijinks. Only a few citizens and another tourist corrected their manners and mistakes.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

What I would like to see is an honest portrait of America's prejudice. Get real people or real stereotypes in there, but not push things...do it by secret camera, not with film crew, then video tape how people react while the person is there and then how they react when that person has left. You learn a lot more about how people act when A) they don't know they are being recorded, B) don't think it's all a big joke and play along to get on the big screen and C) when they aren't surrounded with like-minded people versus having someone around they have to be "polite" to.
Wesley Lovell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

In retrospect, when you force that kind of agression like he did - you're going to get a negative response no matter what you're doing. It's the same thing if a straight guy was being a sexist pig at a feminist rally. Even with the hunting trip those guys were trying to mind their own business and tolerate him, but Bruno insisted on pushing the buttons to piss them off. I'm not saying there aren't homophobic people, but he was much more aggressive to push buttons than he was in Borat.

Return to “2008”