The Reader

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Penelope wrote:I know I'm hitting my head against a wall, but I hope that doesn't happen. They're both Lead roles and she should be nominated and win as such. Sorry, I don't want The Goddess slumming in Supporting just to win an Oscar.
I agree with you on Winslet!

Similarly I just cannot mentally accept Vanessa Redgrave's sole win in the supporting category. Would like to see her win another award in the lead category.....though it seems hardly likely considering her age.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I know I'm hitting my head against a wall, but I hope that doesn't happen. They're both Lead roles and she should be nominated and win as such. Sorry, I don't want The Goddess slumming in Supporting just to win an Oscar.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

kaytodd wrote: I know I am stating the obvious, because this silliness happens every year, but one of the studios is going to promote Kate as a supporting actress. Because of the plot details in the two books, I predict the studio behind The Reader will be the one to demote Kate. Your analogy about Leo two years ago is good.

Exactly. As much lead status as Kate might actually get once the film comes out, it would be very simple for the studio to demote Hannah to supporting character status.

Edited By flipp525 on 1220107143
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Big Magilla wrote:They both look like leads to me.

I haven't read the book but the film version of The Reader has two actors playing Michael and only one playing Hannah, besides which Winslet gets top billing. This jockeying sounds more like Leo in Blood Diamond vs. Leo in The Departed than it does Kate in Finding Neverland vs. Kate in that other movie you all think she was so great in.
Your points are well taken. Even if Ralph Fiennes and/or David Kross are brilliant as Michael, neither is likely to be nominated for lead actor. Kate is the star of this film. But she is also the star of RR and both studios are not going to both promote her for lead actress. I know I am stating the obvious, because this silliness happens every year, but one of the studios is going to promote Kate as a supporting actress. Because of the plot details in the two books, I predict the studio behind The Reader will be the one to demote Kate. Your analogy about Leo two years ago is good.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

They both look like leads to me.

I haven't read the book but the film version of The Reader has two actors playing Michael and only one playing Hannah, besides which Winslet gets top billing. This jockeying sounds more like Leo in Blood Diamond vs. Leo in The Departed than it does Kate in Finding Neverland vs. Kate in that other movie you all think she was so great in.
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Anyone who reads the book or is familiar with the story arc of her character, Hannah, knows that this is a juicy role that a talented actress like Kate can turn into a classic. I am very happy that I will get to see this film sooner rather than later. But I do not see how Kate can be legitimately a supporting actor in either this film or Revolutionary Road (another juicy part). Of course whether a performance is legitimately supporting or leading has little to do with how the studio promotes the performance.

Between the two roles (at least as presented in the books), The Reader's Hannah is far more suitable as a supporting role than RR's April. Leo's character, Frank, could have as much if not more screen time than April. But I see April as the protagonist of all of the major events in the book.

It can be argued that The Reader is actually Michael's story. He has his affair with Hannah, falls in love with her, then they are separated for a long time. Michael goes on with his life and when they run across each other again Michael learns a terrible secret from Hannah's past which affects him deeply.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Winslet has this and 'Revolutionary Road'. Expect this film to jockey her for support like 'Finding Neverland'. She really might have it this year. Five nominations at her age is astonishing. Six or seven is unreal.

I hope this movie isn't boring as hell.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

This could be the year that the Academy honors the recently departed in a big way - Ledger for supporting actor and Pollack and Minghella for producing The Reader.

With two high profile roles, I now think Kate Winslet will indeed be the one to beat for best actress. Could Meryl be placed in support after all to insure that third Oscar which her supporters want to see happen as much as the Hillary supporters wanted their gal to be the Dems' Presidential candidate? The upcoming awards season is beginning to look interesting after all.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

OscarGuy wrote:Minghella-Pollack film eyes Oscar run
Weinsteins plan December release for 'Reader'
By VARIETY STAFF

The last film produced by the late Anthony Minghella and Sydney Pollack is looking for a December date. After a successful screening in New York of "The Reader," the Weinstein Co. has decided to release the film for Oscar contention this year. The film stars Kate Winslet and Ralph Fiennes and was directed by Stephen Daldry.

Given the deaths earlier this year of Minghella and Pollack, there was speculation that the film might face a delay. Scott Rudin, the co-producer, already has two films coming out later this year -- "Revolutionary Road" and "Doubt."

However, given the strong reaction to the test screening, the Weinstein Co. has decided to go full throttle on securing a release date and mobilizing the marketing materials.
This film will definitely be one of the strongest competitors at the Oscars..
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Minghella-Pollack film eyes Oscar run
Weinsteins plan December release for 'Reader'
By VARIETY STAFF

The last film produced by the late Anthony Minghella and Sydney Pollack is looking for a December date. After a successful screening in New York of "The Reader," the Weinstein Co. has decided to release the film for Oscar contention this year. The film stars Kate Winslet and Ralph Fiennes and was directed by Stephen Daldry.

Given the deaths earlier this year of Minghella and Pollack, there was speculation that the film might face a delay. Scott Rudin, the co-producer, already has two films coming out later this year -- "Revolutionary Road" and "Doubt."

However, given the strong reaction to the test screening, the Weinstein Co. has decided to go full throttle on securing a release date and mobilizing the marketing materials.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “2008”