Australia

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Oh, I learned something new today.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Penelope wrote:"Ms." did not come into existence until the early 70s, and I'm pretty sure it's pronounced "Miz"....
That was my point exactly. I think they had the cute aboriginie kid calling Nicole's character "Miz Boss." My guess is that the effect is like Mammy, Prissy and Big Sam referring to "Miz Scarlett" rather than any aboriginal dialect.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

"Ms." did not come into existence until the early 70s, and I'm pretty sure it's pronounced "Miz"....
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

kaytodd wrote:No way! The kid actually referred to Kidman as "Ms. Boss" instead of "Miss Boss"? I hope the kid was actually saying "Miz Boss", which I understand would be consistent with this film's treatment of the aboriginies. But using the term "Ms. Boss" during that time period would be a sign of utter carelessness by everyone associated with this film.
I'm a little confused by what you mean in this statement. If Ms. and Miss are pronounced the same and mean the same by definition, then wouldn't Miz also be the same as Miss but using an Australian dialect? I don't even think that's the problem, honestly. The fact you'd have a character use the combination of "Miss" and "Boss", but not one or the other, just seems as ignorant and ridiculous as Jar Jar Binks.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

barrybrooks8 wrote:I absolutely hated the child actor and all the clever-ish things he said ("the sun went to sleep" and every time he said "Ms. Boss" it drilled another nail into my skull).
No way! The kid actually referred to Kidman as "Ms. Boss" instead of "Miss Boss"? I hope the kid was actually saying "Miz Boss", which I understand would be consistent with this film's treatment of the aboriginies. But using the term "Ms. Boss" during that time period would be a sign of utter carelessness by everyone associated with this film.

When I first heard about this film, I had little interest in seeing someone like Baz Luhrmann making a How The West Was Won type homage to his homeland. The reviews in both the press and word of mouth from film fans pretty much guarantees I will not bother with this film unless it somehow gets nominated in some major categories. I hope not. It will be a repeat of the experience I had with The Green Mile when it was nominated for Best Picture, possibly even worse.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

I had no idea that I would hate it this much. From around the one-minute mark, I knew I was in for a long terrible experience. I absolutely hated the child actor and all the clever-ish things he said ("the sun went to sleep" and every time he said "Ms. Boss" it drilled another nail into my skull). The only nomination I can muster to assume it has a chance at is Costume, and that's only due to the fact the Kidman is that easy to dress.

I always like Nicole Kidman. I even liked some of her work here. I always seem to be defending her, too. I liked Birth, Dogville, The Golden Compass, Cold Mountain and even The Invasion when no else did. But no more! I will succumb to the rest of the America into not trusting a Nicole Kidman lead film!
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

The Original BJ wrote:I think Baz Luhrmann was born in the wrong era: despite his love for COLOR! and CGI!!!!, his "vision" just calls out for the silent-era treatment
He should have been born in the Dark Ages, so that his one concern would have been day-to-day existence and foraging for food, and his evil ego wouldn't have had any place to spew. If he had been born in prehistoric times, he would have managed to make the most god-awful cave paintings ever. I ca imagine an archeologist stumbling upon them: "Hmmm, these were apparently a very self-indulgent people."
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Horrid, just horrid. And I didn't expect to hate it like a lot of you. I like Moulin Rouge less every time I see it, but I can't deny that that film is the product of an outrageously singular vision and that its mad sense of frenzied theatricality is at least appropriate given the material. Even Romeo + Juliet, while it doesn't work for me, has moments of clever inspiration in its transfer of Shakespearen material to a pop contemporary setting.

But this is just embarrassing. The film's opening sequences feature so much poorly-played broad comedy I felt like I was watching an unknowing parody of a romantic epic. I think Baz Luhrmann was born in the wrong era: despite his love for COLOR! and CGI!!!!, his "vision" just calls out for the silent-era treatment, when he could spend lavish amounts of money on gargantuan sets and fill them with waifish blonde women over-emoting and villains who twirl their moustaches with delicious glee. (The screenplay to Titanic is practically Shakespearean compared to this hackneyed storytelling, which I won't even bother retelling.) The film basically ends about half-way through, and then, for those thinking the three hours went by surprisingly quickly, GOTCHA....! A whole new plot kicks in -- this one at least is a little better, as it's mostly dull rather than sheerly awful.

I even had problems with the visual look of the film. The camera swoops all over the place with no rhyme or reason -- it's merely drawing attention to itself and its own movement, not bringing us into the story. And the computer effects are terrible! I at least thought I'd get some pretty photography of the Australian outback in this movie, but most of it looks like ugly green-screening.

And don't even get me started on the film's racial politics, which are about as progressive as Gunga Din.

I'd bet Art Direction and Costume Oscar nods are in the bag based on budget alone. A pretty vista or two can go along way with the cinematographers, especially in a weak year, so maybe it could score there too. I think the majors are out of the question, though. At least I hope they are.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

No, it wasn't that. It was early sequences where scenes were apparently doctored by Visual Effects. It was somewhat pretty, but distorted. Then, there's the problem of lighting which I found fairly overbalanced at times. The colors didn't seem realistic enough, more false feeling.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

OscarGuy wrote:Well, without having seen the rest of the year's films, it's hard to say what it deserves in terms of nominations, but the Art Direction and Costume Design are, as Catherine Martin has proven before, terrific. There are times when I love the cinematography and other times when I wanted to shoot the cinematographer. But many of those times may have been the visual effects artists.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

that is how i felt with PEARL HARBOR. the cinematography was very pretty, but sometimes it just overwhelmed me until i actually had to look away.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, without having seen the rest of the year's films, it's hard to say what it deserves in terms of nominations, but the Art Direction and Costume Design are, as Catherine Martin has proven before, terrific. There are times when I love the cinematography and other times when I wanted to shoot the cinematographer. But many of those times may have been the visual effects artists.
Wesley Lovell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

dws1982 wrote:Is Fox taking a bath in this or what? $2.9 million on Thursday.
Rupert Murdoch and Spaz Vermin -- talk about two people who deserve each other.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Is Fox taking a bath in this or what? $2.9 million on Thursday.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Australia made a little less than $2.3 million on Wednesday. That comes out to less than $900 per screen.

Does that mean that Australia is a colony again?
"How's the despair?"

Return to “2008”