Nine

cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Let's keep our fingers crossed that it is Banderas who takes the role.
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Paging Antonio Banderas...

Javier ankles 'Nine'.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Please! NOT Nicole Kidman!
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Nicole Kidman and Judi Dench are in talks to join the cast.

And if they do, we'll have 5 Oscar winners plus an Oscar nominee in just ONE film. OMG!

Marion Rose... ooohhh aaahhh :D
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Looks like you may have to wait...

Two More Movies Strike Out

Perplexing analysts who had predicted that the writers' strike would have little impact on movie making in its early stages and that TV alone would take the initial brunt, two more studios announced Monday that they have postponed production of features they were about to shoot. The films were Warner Bros.' Shantaram, starring Johnny Depp, and The Weinstein Co.'s Nine, starring Javier Bardem, Penélope Cruz, Sophia Loren and Marion Cotillard. Both studios said that the screenplays required additional work. Earlier, Sony's Columbia announced that it was delaying The Da Vinci Code prequel, Angels and Demons and United Artists said it was postponing Oliver Stone's Pinkville for the same reason. Meanwhile, both the film and TV businesses were bracing for the possibility that the writers' strike could shut down the Oscar awards in February. Syndicated gossip columnist Liz Smith asked today (Tuesday): "How can they hold the Oscars if there are no writers? No self-respecting, or self-protective, actor would cross the inevitable picket line -- not even to pick up an Oscar."
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Akash wrote:
flipp525 wrote:CZJ has an incredibly inflated sense of her own worth as an actress. She's nominally good in a certain kind of role and was certainly a show-stopper in Chicago, but I’ve never seen her really stretch herself in any performance. And honestly, she should still be thanking her lucky stars that she actually won an Oscar over Meryl Streep’s unique turn in Adaptation, Julianne Moore’s sensitive performance in The Hours, Kathy Bates’ brave scene in About Schmidt and her co-star, Queen Latifah’s, scene-stealing character in Chicago.

And I’m still sick over her “A million dollars means nothing to people like us” comment. Just shut it, you bitch.

Flipp, I have to cosign EVERYTHING you said here. So, so true.
Amen to that...except she was about as far from show-stopper as you can get in that movie. Maybe a show-stopper in the sense that she slowed the pace of the film down so much it came crashing to a screeching halt.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

flipp525 wrote:CZJ has an incredibly inflated sense of her own worth as an actress. She's nominally good in a certain kind of role and was certainly a show-stopper in Chicago, but I’ve never seen her really stretch herself in any performance. And honestly, she should still be thanking her lucky stars that she actually won an Oscar over Meryl Streep’s unique turn in Adaptation, Julianne Moore’s sensitive performance in The Hours, Kathy Bates’ brave scene in About Schmidt and her co-star, Queen Latifah’s, scene-stealing character in Chicago.

And I’m still sick over her “A million dollars means nothing to people like us” comment. Just shut it, you bitch.

Flipp, I have to cosign EVERYTHING you said here. So, so true.

Edited By Akash on 1195506724
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

flipp525 wrote:And I’m still sick over her “A million dollars means nothing to people like us” comment. Just shut it, you bitch.
When did she say this?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

CZJ has an incredibly inflated sense of her own worth as an actress. She's nominally good in a certain kind of role and was certainly a show-stopper in Chicago, but I’ve never seen her really stretch herself in any performance. And honestly, she should still be thanking her lucky stars that she actually won an Oscar over Meryl Streep’s unique turn in Adaptation, Julianne Moore’s sensitive performance in The Hours, Kathy Bates’ brave scene in About Schmidt and her co-star, Queen Latifah’s, scene-stealing character in Chicago.

Edited By flipp525 on 1195486011
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Catherine Zeta Jones has reportedly dropped out of this, because Rob Marshall wouldn't make her role bigger.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Why isn't Banderas doing the film? He showed terrific musical ability in Evita.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Can I be honest? The idea of the film version of an American musical based on such a personal movie as "8 and a half" sounds atrocious. On stage, maybe - theatre is more stylized, less realistic than cinema. But on the screen... as we Italians say, "Mah!".

(The very fact that nobody here even remotely doubts that Antonio Banderas can be a believable Italian makes me fear the worst, by the way).
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Ok, two Oscar winners (CZJ, Loren) and two nominees (Bardem, Cruz); to me, this only ups the chances of Cotillard getting a nomination for La Vie en Rose.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Nine is a film I will be standing in line for.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I'm not a fan of Zeta-Jones at all, and Cruz scares me a little, but this sounds like an interesting start. I love Bardem and Loren in these roles, but can Loren sing it?

Director Marshall Confirms Bardem, Cotillard, Cruz, Zeta-Jones and Loren for "Nine" Film
By Ernio Hernandez
07 Sep 2007

Javier Bardem

Rob Marshall has confirmed that the stars of his upcoming film version of Nine — based on the Broadway musical of the same name — will be Javier Bardem, Marion Cotillard, Penelope Cruz, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Sophia Loren, according to The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

The director — known for his work on "Chicago" — confirmed to the local publication what had been previously speculated in Variety.

Bardem ("Before Night Falls," "The Sea Inside") will fill the central male role of Guido. The women who haunt him will be Marion Cotillard ("La Vie en Rose," "Love Me If You Dare") as wife Luisa, Penelope Cruz ("Vovler," "Vanilla Sky") as mistress Carla, Catherine Zeta-Jones ("Chicago," "The Legend of Zorro") as muse Claudia and Sophia Loren ("Man of La Mancha," "El Cid") as his mother.

Marshall was reportedly taken aback by the number of big Hollywood names who were willing to audition to prove their musical ability. The pool of talent is definitely international; Bardem and Cruz were born in Spain, Cotillard is French, Zeta-Jones is from Wales, and Loren is aptly Italian. No official casting has yet been announced.

Inspired by Federico Fellini's "8-1/2," Nine features a score by Maury Yeston and libretto by Arthur Kopit. The work — which finds an Italian director who is haunted by the many women in his life just as his career is in jeopardy — will be adapted for the screen by Michael Tolkin ("The Player," "Deep Impact"). The Weinstein Co. will produce the Lucamar Productions film.

"It's a gorgeous score, and we're reworking it for film, so it's really a new book," Marshall explained to Playbill.com columnist Harry Haun (Aug. 19). "I've been working on it since the beginning of the year. We'll probably be shooting next March and, hopefully, come out with it in December '08."

Of casting, Marshall explained, "We've seen probably every feature-film actress in Hollywood for the women. We're casting in New York, in Los Angeles, in London, in Paris and in Rome, so it's been a huge undertaking — and we're still doing it. Sometimes, there are real surprises. It's just like casting 'Chicago' because we don't know what film actors can sing. Sometimes there will be a surprise, and sometimes there'll be a disappointment for someone you really love as an actor and they just can't sing it."

Nine garnered a dozen Tony Award nominations in 1982, including acting nods for stars Raul Julia, Karen Akers, Anita Morris and Liliane Montevecchi — the latter three all in the Featured Actress category. Tommy Tune would take home a Tony for Best Direction as would Yeston for his score, William Ivey Long for his costume design and Montevecchi for her performance. The musical itself would take home the 1982 Tony Award for Best Musical.

Film stars Antonio Banderas and Mary Stuart Masterson starred in the 2003 Broadway revival as the Contini husband and wife with Jane Krakowksi (as Carla), Laura Benanti (as Claudia), Mary Beth Peil (as Guido's mother) and Chita Rivera (as agent Liliane La Fleur). The David Leveaux staging won Krakowski a Tony and took home the Best Musical Revival prize as well.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “2009”