Nine

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

OscarGuy wrote:And the whole "gutter" comment was in jest, so no one get their panties in a wad over it.

Considering how sensitive and up-in-arms you yourself get about almost every comment directed toward you, I think you throwing your hands up and saying "just joking!" in this instance is, well, sort of ironic.

Edited By flipp525 on 1210095528
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You guys are scaring me. I may boycott the film if either Johnny Depp, John Travolta or Nic Cage are added to the project. I don't ever want to hear Depp sing again, John Travolta's not even a good actor and Nic Cage is on my list of people I'm tired of seeing (oh how he's fallen since Adaptation and Leaving Las Vegas).

Mark Ruffalo would be interesting. They can give him makeup to make him look older, like in Zodiac, but I think his personality seems very much an "Old soul". And Cannavale is a decent actor, though definitely was the weak link in The Station Agent.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Big Magilla wrote:Don't be surprised if someone like Johnny Depp or John Travolta gets the part if the project isn't cancelled altogether without a star attached.
God forbids it!

Though Banderas lost the Tony with the revival, he still managed to win the Drama Desk Award. His performance was received with critical acclaim and the show proved to be popular enough to ran for 283 performances. I'm really expecting this to happen, I always put high hopes on musicals (since Evita, the first of the modern ones) and I really want Banderas on this. He was quite good (though not exceptional) in Evita, at least he accomplished the role. The reviews for his work on Nine, were great. His performance on the Tony telecast, available on YouTube, is great, great to look at...

However Magilla might be right. Why was he not chosen to play the part in the first place? Wasn't he available? Bardem was signed on since early last year, so I guess his Oscar had nothing to do with his casting as Guido.

Guido is a middle aged man. Some other options/Italian American Actors that comes to mind:
- Mark Ruffalo (probably looks too young for the part)
- Nicolas Cage
- Bobby Cannavale (Will's first boyfriend on Will & Grace)

And don't forget a black-haired/roman-hairdone DiCaprio.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Whatever the reason was for passing Banderas up in the first place may still be a factor. Don't be surprised if someone like Johnny Depp or John Travolta gets the part if the project isn't cancelled altogether without a star attached.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Reza wrote:
cam wrote:and Banderas is "hotter" than Bardem( Flipp's definiton), according to my wife.

Why ''according to my wife''? Don't you think the same? I think even a blind person could tell that Banderas is better looking than Bardem. And you don't have to be gay or be in the ''gutter'' to get the ''hot'' factor about a male star.

And yes it would be foolish of them not to immediately cast Banderas in the part he played so successfully on Broadway. I was appalled when Bardem was cast in the first place. This piece of casting was the same as the Audrey/Julie furor of decades ago.
He is a good-looking man, but I do not think Banderas is "hot". There are actors I think are "hot" but he is not one of them. He certainly is better-looking than Bardem--I was horrified that he was considered.

I do agree with that it would be stupid to give the part to someone else , in that the casting of Banderas was a great move, and the part should not be given to anyone else.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

And the whole "gutter" comment was in jest, so no one get their panties in a wad over it.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Well, maybe Italiano can tell us: can Raoul Bova or Kim Rossi-Stuart sing...in English?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

cam wrote:and Banderas is "hotter" than Bardem( Flipp's definiton), according to my wife.

Why ''according to my wife''? Don't you think the same? I think even a blind person could tell that Banderas is better looking than Bardem. And you don't have to be gay or be in the ''gutter'' to get the ''hot'' factor about a male star.

And yes it would be foolish of them not to immediately cast Banderas in the part he played so successfully on Broadway. I was appalled when Bardem was cast in the first place. This piece of casting was the same as the Audrey/Julie furor of decades ago.

Edited By Reza on 1210040411
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

But: Banderas can sing the role, and there is no reason to think that Guido Contini is "hot", just wildly appealing to women, and Banderas is "hotter" than Bardem( Flipp's definiton), according to my wife.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

flipp525 wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:by "hot", I meant "popular", not "gorgeous"...sheesh, Flipp, I know your mind spends most of its life in the gutter, but sheesh. :cool:

Statistically, men think about sex every twenty-five seconds. With gay men, I'd argue it's even more often. If that places me in the "gutter" with the rest of the male species, well, so be it.
Didn't Oscar Wilde once say something about "We may be in the gutter, but we're looking at the stars."
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Surely there's an Italian actor of the right age for the role...even if he's not famous in the U.S., surrounding him with all these famous leading ladies should provide enough box office appeal.

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

OscarGuy wrote:by "hot", I meant "popular", not "gorgeous"...sheesh, Flipp, I know your mind spends most of its life in the gutter, but sheesh. :cool:

Statistically, men think about sex every twenty-five seconds. With gay men, I'd argue it's even more often. If that places me in the "gutter" with the rest of the male species, well, so be it.

Edited By flipp525 on 1210019446
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

by "hot", I meant "popular", not "gorgeous"...sheesh, Flipp, I know your mind spends most of its life in the gutter, but sheesh. :cool:
Wesley Lovell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Is Antonio Banderas still considered "hot" though? If so, in what circles? Perhaps, a decade ago. But, now? Not so much. In fact, the last time I saw him, he was looking decidedly craggy and orange. It's too bad that Javier Bardem has dropped out of this. I think he would've been great.

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Who else could they get? If they're going hispanic/Spaniard, they may try Gael Garcia Bernal or another hot latin act?
Wesley Lovell

Return to “2009”