Nine

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

If the Tony nominations for the original 1982 Broadway production and the 2003 revival are any indication, Daniel Day-Leiws (Guido), Marion Cotillard (Luisa), Penelope Cruz (Carla) and Judi Dench (Liliane La Fleur) are the most likely Oscar nominees out of a cast that also includes Nicole Kidman, Kate Judson, Sophia Loren and Fergie in the role originated by Missus Tee.

Both Raul Julia and Antonio Banderas were Tony nominated for playing Guido as were Karen Akers and Mary Stuart Masterson for playing Luisa. Liliane Montevecchi won for plying Liliane La Fleur in the original while Chita Rivera was nominated for reprising the role in the revival. Jane Krakowski won for playing Carla in the revival. Anita Morris had been nominated for playing her in the original.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

In case it hasn't been reported (and this thread should probably be moved or simply restarted in the 2009 thread), Fergie has been cast as Saraghina. And Kate Hudson has been cast too; I'd read it was the role of a reporter created specifically for her, although I"m not sure.

This is gonna blow, folks.
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

It's official. DDL is Guido.

I guess this is a 2009 release now.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I can live with Daniel-Day Lewis. He certainly will look good in the part. Hopefully he can-- if not sing--"sell" the songs, and he does not turn into a dud like Depp in Sweeney Todd.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

paperboy wrote:Well, this is unexpected.

Daniel Day Lewis?
Well anything should be better than his dreadful turn in There Will Be Blood. Surely he can't be worse than in this film?

I still don't understand why Banderas has not even been considered.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wow. That just seems so...wow...I also have a difficult time imagining DDL in the role. But, really, wow...what an odd choice and it doesn't give him much time to do his normal prep.

But, it will be an interesting thing to watch.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Extremely unexpected... Just can't imagine him in the role! And I'm trying really hard...

But if it is him... there will be a total of 6 "Oscars" through 5 AA winners in the cast. Besides, when was the last time both Best Leading Actors went on to make a film together?

And Minghella was involved in the writing... didn't know that.

Edited By HarryGoldfarb on 1210821983
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Well, this is unexpected.

Daniel Day Lewis?
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

OscarGuy wrote:You guys are scaring me. I may boycott the film if either Johnny Depp, John Travolta or Nic Cage are added to the project. I don't ever want to hear Depp sing again, John Travolta's not even a good actor and Nic Cage is on my list of people I'm tired of seeing (oh how he's fallen since Adaptation and Leaving Las Vegas).

Mark Ruffalo would be interesting. They can give him makeup to make him look older, like in Zodiac, but I think his personality seems very much an "Old soul". And Cannavale is a decent actor, though definitely was the weak link in The Station Agent.
I agree wholeheartedly. I too would be happy never to see Depp again, and John Travolta would be a joke in the role. I don't think Ruffalo or Cannavale. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is Banderas.
Loved "Guido's Song" . Great number.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

OscarGuy wrote:Don't assume because others in your life have said similar things and NOT meant them to be funny that me or anyone else here is being mean-spirited, vindictive or vile to you. You've been doing that a lot lately, especially to me, but to others as well. Why are you so defensive and aggressive all of a sudden?
I just can't stand your rationalizations anymore. They're completely unnerving. And how nice of you to insinuate that people in my life refer to me as trash. Um, no, that would not be the case, "dude". Just don't even respond to this, please.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

flipp525 wrote:Emoticons are for cowards who can't stand behind what they say, in my opinion. Like, oh here, I'm going to insult you but I'm going to add this little smiley face so you know that I'm "just joking". If you're going to infer that I'm some sort of a gutter slut, then you better be damn well ready to defend it.
Woah. I think you're projecting, dude.

The term "mind in the gutter" means you have a dirty mind (something I possess much to the chagrin of many of my friends). It doesn't mean you're gutter trash. If I had meant that, I would have said that and I think you know that.

I had meant it jocularly because quite frankly, I didn't care if you were thinking just about "hot" guys. I wasn't even really that insulted that you misread my post, which is why I clarified and the joke was meant to tell you that I didn't take that much offense to it.

Don't assume because others in your life have said similar things and NOT meant them to be funny that me or anyone else here is being mean-spirited, vindictive or vile to you. You've been doing that a lot lately, especially to me, but to others as well. Why are you so defensive and aggressive all of a sudden?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I believe he sang Guido's Song.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

What's the name of the song that Banderas sang at the Tony's? I have the Broadway recording (almost complete) but I can't find the song...

Flipp, r u having a bad day?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Emoticons are for cowards who can't stand behind what they say, in my opinion. Like, oh here, I'm going to insult you but I'm going to add this little smiley face so you know that I'm "just joking". If you're going to infer that I'm some sort of a gutter slut, then you better be damn well ready to defend it.

Edited By flipp525 on 1210096930
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

flipp525 wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:And the whole "gutter" comment was in jest, so no one get their panties in a wad over it.

Considering how sensitive and up-in-arms you yourself get about almost every comment directed toward you, I think you throwing your hands up and saying "just joking!" in this instance is, well, sort of ironic.
Well, considering I put the :cool: in as my nod to the fact that I was joking, and everyone seemed to still take offense, I thought I should clarify. And if you're joking about things, perhaps you should learn to use symbols to confirm that since from certain people joking and serious responses can sound the same.
Wesley Lovell

Return to “2009”