The Peter Travers Top Ten List contest - 2009

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Sonic Youth wrote:But not even Eric's dare-deviltry could knock him into last place. That honor goes to previous contest winner FilmFan720. FF720 only guessed 4 of the 10 films, with a 1 point demerit for guessing a tie. That's a score of 3 points, the lowest in this contest's history.It's not pathetic. It's not miserable. It's disturbing. Something is not right in the FF720 household.
Yeah, something is not right there. I apologize for wasting everyone's time with this one. I will blame it, though, on things being too right in the FilmFan720 household...my wife is 5-months pregnant, and I will blame this travesty on the wearing off of her "pregnancy brain" (the one that causes her to ramble incoherently for 5 minutes at a time like she wandered out of some bad rip off of a David Lynch movie)...sorry about that. Next year I will let my 8 month old daughter make my predictions for me. She will be on the wave length of Peter Travers, won't she?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Greg wrote:Does anyone else know how technically Travers' top 10 of the decade list is one year early?

It isn't.

You'll lose this one, so give up while you can.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1260499142
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Does anyone else know how technically Travers' top 10 of the decade list is one year early?

Edited By Greg on 1260498680
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Big Magilla wrote:Travers’ Top Ten of the Decade:

1. There Will Be Blood
2. Children of Men
3. Mulholland Drive
4. A History of Violence
5. No Country for Old Men
6. The Incredibles
7. Brokeback Mountain
8. The Departed
9. Mystic River
10. The Lord of the Rings: The Trilogy
Peter Travers makes no sense to me. How can There Will Be Blood be the best film of the decade when it wasn't even in the top five in its year? And Children of Men, #2 of the decade, wasn't even on his top ten list at all!

I can allow for change of thought over time...but I usually don't change my opinions THAT much within a couple years.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'm ashamed of you all. This may be the lowest scoring "Peter Travers Top Ten List contest" I have ever run. In 2005, the points ranged from 7 to Filmfan720's 13.

In guessing The Peter Travers Top Ten, it's never OUR fault for being wrong but HIS fault for failing to deliver a better Peter Travers Top Ten. I think my Peter Travers Top Ten is better than Peter Travers' so he can kiss my ass.

Now as for his Best of the Decade list, I'm pretty stupefied. It has no bearing on his Top Ten Lists on any level. I don't have a problem with people changing their opinions over time, but Wow!

Edited By Sabin on 1260496281
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Wow, after ten years I finally won something and I wasn't at all expecting it!

I had Up on my original list which I prepared before checking his reviews, which made me change the slot to Fantastic Mr. Fox. (500) Days of Summer is another one I considered, but I wouldn't have thought of District 9 at all.

For some real fun, how about guessing Armond White's top ten? I guarantee Precious won't be a factor. :laugh:
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I'm ashamed of you all. This may be the lowest scoring "Peter Travers Top Ten List contest" I have ever run. In 2005, the points ranged from 7 to Filmfan720's 13. In 2006, the points ranged from 6 to OriginalBJ's jaw dropping 19. But this year? This year, the winner received only 9 points and the lowest vote-getter received a pitiful 3 points!

And this year's winner?

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>BIG MAGILLA!!</span>

Magilla isn't a regular participator, but something deep inside of him - his inner Travers - told him he had a shot, and it paid off handsomely. Magilla receives 9 points. He guessed 7 of the 10 films accurately, as well as the accurate placement for two films, more than anyone. Congratulations, Magilla!

Mind you, usually 9 points isn't a great score. It would have been one of the lowest scores in the 2006 contest. But I think that's just the nature of this year. Nobody guessed "Precious" would be the number one film. There were no ties, let alone obvious ones (Flags of our Fathers/Letters From Iwo Jima). Too many people guessed "The Fantastic Mr. Fox". And "Avatar" brought down most people's score by a point. I think it's a safe bet that time constraints made it impossible for him to put it on his list (assuming he liked it well enough to do so.) But I don't mean to diminish Magilla's victory. He is this year's winner, in what proved to be a difficult one.

We have a three-way tie for runner-up. Sabin, anonymous, and rudeboy each received 8 points.

2nd runner-up is a four-way tie. Zahveed, hustler, rain Bard and myself each received 6 points. Now, 6 points is pretty pathetic, but you don't have to tell anyone this. If someone asks, just say you were the 2nd runner-up.

This is followed by Eric, who received 5 points due to predicting three ties, none of which came to fruition. That's a 3 point deduction.

But not even Eric's dare-deviltry could knock him into last place. That honor goes to previous contest winner FilmFan720. FF720 only guessed 4 of the 10 films, with a 1 point demerit for guessing a tie. That's a score of 3 points, the lowest in this contest's history.It's not pathetic. It's not miserable. It's disturbing. Something is not right in the FF720 household.

Thank you to everyone who participated in the contest. I hope it was fun for everyone, even... okay, I won't say it again.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1260489796
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Travers’ Top Ten of the Decade:

1. There Will Be Blood
2. Children of Men
3. Mulholland Drive
4. A History of Violence
5. No Country for Old Men
6. The Incredibles
7. Brokeback Mountain
8. The Departed
9. Mystic River
10. The Lord of the Rings: The Trilogy
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

No ties this year. And there's always the possibility that he hasn't seen Avatar yet.

Time to tally.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Here it is! PETER TRAVERS TOP TEN LIST OF 2009!

1. Precious
2. Up in the Air
3. The Hurt Locker
4. An Education
5. Up
6. Where the Wild Things Are
7. A Serious Man
8. District 9
9. (500) Days of Summer
10. The Messenger

I can see I sucked again.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I'm not in it to win it. (Wasn't going to be in it at all until I decided to simply peruse PT's RT page.) I'm just curious to see if any of those ties come to fruition.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

My ballot:

1. The Hurt Locker
2. Up*
3. Avatar
4. Precious**
5. Up in the Air***
6. The Messenger
7. Invictus
8. (tie) The Fantastic Mr. Fox/Where the Wild Things Are
9. An Education****
10. Public Enemies*****

*"Just sit back and watch it fly."
**"The movie has a spirit that soars... Lee Daniels works his magic... Once Precious gets its hooks into you, no way is it letting you go."
***"A transporting comedy... that jet-fuels the Oscar race, rattles with romantic turbulance... and takes a never-better George Clooney on the ride of his acting life."
****"Soars to the head of the class."
*****"It's movie dynamite."

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1260314745
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Why do I get the feeling Eric isn't playing to win?

Don't forget, for every tie you get wrong, that's a one point deduction from your final score. If you manage to guess all ten films in the list correctly, but with the help of three ties (and fourteen individual guesses), your brilliant strategy will only get you seven points.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1260312776
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

01. Where the Wild Things Are
02. Up, Fantastic Mr. Fox & Ponyo (tie)
03. Up in the Air
04. The Hurt Locker
05. (500) Days of Summer
06. A Serious Man
07. Precious
08. Gomorrah & Public Enemies (tie)
09. Inglourious Basterds
10. An Education & The Class (tie)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sonic Youth wrote:Magilla, you only have nine films on your list.
Fixed.

Return to “2009”