Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

If absolute crap like Transformers 2 can make over $400 Million, can we really say it's not likely from the man who brought us Aliens, Terminator 2 and Titanic? I mean, I'll remain cautiously optimistic, but I think there are too many people here who seem to automatically want it to fail.

It's a new James Cameron movie. I want it to be awesome.
"How's the despair?"
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Eh, this looks to be overhyped.

Another thing that may keep this from doing good business with its target audience is how close the title is to Avatar: The Last Airbender, an upcoming film based on a children's anime.

The trailer is too long for a teaser, the scenes showcased explain nothing, and we're not watching it in 3-D (the reason why this film took so long in the first place.)
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

If absolute crap like Transformers 2 can make over $400 Million, can we really say it's not likely from the man who brought us Aliens, Terminator 2 and Titanic? I mean, I'll remain cautiously optimistic, but I think there are too many people here who seem to automatically want it to fail.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Twelve years on this film?

What we need more than Avatar is more R-Rated summer movies that are actually good. He couldn't do a single one in twelve years because of this?
"How's the despair?"
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I'm firmly with SY here. This looks embarrassing.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

To me, the visual FX look to be of equal quality as this film.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Ugh...I still cannot fathom why this seems to be seen as having absolute juggernaut status everywhere especially here on this board.

Ok, maybe it could be a good film, perhaps a great film, however I strongly disagree so far seeing this damn thing...but folks this isn't Revolutionary Road, what appeal does this film even have going for it to make the 400-500 million bucks it seems to be a foregone conclusion it's going to make?

I guess maybe I'd agree to disagree with many of you why Titanic was the big one, but I can think of at least 5 reasons that would apply to the layperson (someone that's not like us) before even mentioning James Cameron's name.

Am I wrong to have zero interest in this and believe if it can somehow make back the money it spent on itself, then it should be considered an astronomical success?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't think we can truly judge the film based on the trailer. I think the visual effects look top notch, probably resulting in an Academy Award.

James Cameron has easily proven people wrong with his films, so let's not slight his ability to turn potential poop into a good film.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Yeah, the visual effects look strong. The rest of the film looks entirely too typical. The hype monster has eaten another film.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

To Cameron's credit, those humanoid creatures look almost photo-realistic. I thought it was makeup/animatronics at first.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

taki15 wrote:The Teaser is up and I must admit it's looking stunning.
Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but... seriously?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

The Teaser is up and I must admit it's looking stunning.

I'm very curious to see if Cameron's skills have been affected at all by his twelve-year hiatus.

Edited By taki15 on 1250814342
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

--jack wrote:
--Zahveed wrote:I think if they start doing more 3D re-releases then we could very well see the end of the remake. Wouldn't, for example, a 3D version of The Birds be a lot more exciting than some botched remake?

Try telling Micheal Bay that... Or better not to, he might re-release Pearl Harbor, or God forbid Transformers in 3D. They're both 2D in ever respect, 3D would be adding insult to injury... :D

Uhg, can you imagine? Armageddon in 3D. Animal crackers look like they're coming at you!

Edited By Big Magilla on 1250844453
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

--Zahveed wrote:I think if they start doing more 3D re-releases then we could very well see the end of the remake. Wouldn't, for example, a 3D version of The Birds be a lot more exciting than some botched remake?

Try telling Micheal Bay that... Or better not to, he might re-release Pearl Harbor, or God forbid Transformers in 3D. They're both 2D in ever respect, 3D would be adding insult to injury... :D

Edited By Big Magilla on 1250844442
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I think if they start doing more 3D re-releases then we could very well see the end of the remake. Wouldn't, for example, a 3D version of The Birds be a lot more exciting than some botched remake?

Return to “2009”