Monopoly - H'wood has officially run out of ideas

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Lieutenant: "Colonel. They have us surrounded."

Colonel: "Just one more shot, Lieutenant. That's all we need."

Lieutenant: "But sir... it's their turn."

The side of the battleship explodes from an enemy missle. Much of the crew on the deck fall to the ground and some are thrown off into the ocean. The Lieutenant lies unconscious along the wall. The Colonel, also on the floor, weakly pulls himself to his feet and stares out to the sea in horror.

Colonel: Damn you... You sunk my battleship.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

If they hadn't framed the Battleship thing as an adaptation of the game, I don't think anyone would care. Then we would just see it as an action/war movie set at sea, which is what it is. I don't have any difficulty in seeing how Battleship would transfer to the screen, and I think Peter Berg has done some very good directing work (and some not good), so it could probably turn into an interesting enough action movie.

I don't see how Monopoly could make a movie. If it's turned into something watchable, then it'll be a major feat.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Hollywood makes me sick. Why do I even want to work in this business?

Universal Sets Battleship for July 1, 2011

Source:Variety September 15, 2009

Universal Pictures has set a July 1, 2011 for the Peter Berg-directed Battleship, a live-action adaptation of Hasbro's board game.

Variety says the deal is part of a two-picture pact Berg has made with the studio, where he'll follow Battleship with the Afghan war drama Lone Survivor.

The Battleship script was written by Jon Hoeber and Erich Hoeber. Production is scheduled to begin next spring.

Berg called the film "a contemporary story of an international five-ship fleet engaged in a very dynamic, violent and intense battle."

Other projects in development for Berg, including Dune and Hancock 2, will come later.

Other Hasbro adaptations in the works at Universal include Stretch Armstrong (April 11, 2011) with Steve Oedekerk, Clue with Gore Verbinski, Monopoly with Ridley Scott, Candy Land with Kevin Lima and Ouija with Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

--MovieWes wrote:I posted a thread about this about a year ago when the story first broke, under the title "Ridley Scott's Monopoly". It has apparently disappeared, though, lol.

It's a ridiculous idea. But still, any ideas on who will portray Rich Uncle Pennybags, anyone? :laugh:

Leslie Nielsen.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1253074050
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

I think a movie called "Monopoly" should be about wheelings and dealings of early Hollywood. I've just started reading Upton Sinclair's book on William Fox. Fascinating stuff going on back in the 1910s and 20s!
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Well, you could have cannons, shoes, and thimbles running around trying to control Atlantic City....
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

--Sonic Youth wrote:
--Big Magilla wrote:Sonic, you're forgetting Clue?

The question is, why haven't you?

I try, believe me, I try.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1253074057
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

--Zahveed wrote:
--MovieWes wrote:It's a ridiculous idea. But still, any ideas on who will portray Rich Uncle Pennybags, anyone? :laugh:

It'll be Russel Crowe.

victor garber from TITANIC, MILK, and ELI STONE would be perfect...but yeah, it will probably be russel crowe.

moviewes, i actually looked for the original post, but could not find it.

i guess you are right sonic youth. it does take some creativity and bravery to make a movie out of a board game, or a tv show out of a commercial (those cavemen folks).

heck, who would have thought two very good movies could be based on tv game shows -- QUIZ SHOW and SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1253074063
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

--MovieWes wrote:It's a ridiculous idea. But still, any ideas on who will portray Rich Uncle Pennybags, anyone? :laugh:

It'll be Russel Crowe.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1253074106
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Pshaw, Sonic; Clue gave me one of my favorite funny moments of all time.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

--Big Magilla wrote:Sonic, you're forgetting Clue?

The question is, why haven't you?

Edited By OscarGuy on 1253074112
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sonic, you're forgetting Clue?

I remember Movie Wes' original post. I don't think it's disappeared, just buried.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

How can you possibly say Hollywood's run out of ideas? All the previous game adaptations were for video games. This is an adaptation of a board game. I marvel at Hollywood's endless ingenuity.

And this encourages me to finish my long-gestating screenplay "Pick-up Sticks". I see hand-eye coordination game adaptations as the next big thing.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I posted a thread about this about a year ago when the story first broke, under the title "Ridley Scott's Monopoly". It has apparently disappeared, though, lol.

It's a ridiculous idea. But still, any ideas on who will portray Rich Uncle Pennybags, anyone? :laugh:

Edited By MovieWes on 1226597185
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Scrabble anyone?

Return to “2009”