Michael Moore's Next Film - He Wants Banking Insiders To Sueal

Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Michael Moore has named his documentary Capitalism: A Love Story and has a promo video on his web site:

http://www.michaelmoore.com

Edited By Greg on 1251070923
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Moore tackles financial meltdown
BBC News

Award-winning film-maker Michael Moore has announced the title of his forthcoming documentary, which looks at the global economic meltdown. In a statement, the Fahrenheit 9/11 director said Capitalism: A Love Story would be "be the perfect date movie... It's got it all - lust, passion, romance and 14,000 jobs being eliminated every day."

Moore, who has made three of the top six highest-earning documentaries, will release the film in the US in October.

'Biggest swindle'

The exact date - 2 August - is a year and a day after the US Senate voted to approve a $700 billion bailout of Wall Street.

"It's a forbidden love, one that dare not speak its name. Heck, let's just say it: It's capitalism," Moore said.

In February, Moore appealed for people working on Wall Street or in the financial industry to come forward and share what they knew. At the time he said: "Be a hero and help me expose the biggest swindle in American history."

Moore won an Academy Award for best documentary for his 2002 film Bowling for Columbine. He also received an Oscar nomination for Sicko (2007). In 2004, Fahrenheit 9/11 won the Palme D'Or at the Cannes Film Festival and went on to become the first documentary to make $100m (£61.6m) at the North American box office.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Moore's new documentary now has a release date for Oct. 2. That was fast, certainly much faster than anything Hollywood would noramlly do.

Edited By Greg on 1243459500
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

I'm interested in seeing what kind of a film Moore will turn out, but I don't have high expectations for it. In my opinion, Moore has constantly gotten worse as a film director. His best film is Roger & Me, followed by Bowling for Columbine. These are quite good documentaries. Then there's Fahrenheit 9/11, which is still above mediocre. But his latest film is Sicko, which, except for its first twenty or so minutes, is pretty weak.

I have a few problems with his more recent films: first of all, Moore has shifted from making films that are primarily about people to making films which are primarily about politics. I'm not saying that Moore should start making films that are less politically biased; on the contrary, I think it is a part of documentary film-making that films reflect their director's point of view. But the proper way to do it is for the filmmaker to stay behind the camera, let the subjects of the documentary do the talking, and then let the audience draw their own conclusions. That's what Moore does in Roger & Me, and for most part, that's also what he does in Bowling for Columbine, even if he is often shown on screen interviewing the subjects.

Now, Sicko actually starts that way - for the first twenty minutes of the movie, Moore stays behind the camera and the film is about the people whom Moore interviews, and the film is quite good. Now, if the entire film was like that, it would be an excellent movie. Instead, Moore decides to go on a heavy-handed (and boring) political rant for the rest of the movie...

The other problem I have is that Moore's general approach towards documentaries has changed. John Huston said (something like) that in fictional films, you write the screenplay first and then do the filming, while in documentaries you do the filming first, and write the screenplay afterwards. By that definition, Moore's earlier films would qualify as documentaries, but Fahrenheit 9/11 and Sicko would probably not, because in these films Moore must have known at an early stage what the finished films would look like. In his earlier films, Moore is constantly seeking out people who would challenge his opinions; the title of Roger & Me refers to his efforts at meeting the CEO of GM. In Bowling for Columbine he famously met with Charlton Heston and with the manager of that store that sold ammunitions, and in Fahrenheit 9/11 some of the best scenes involve Moore meeting with a soldier's family, and he allows them a lot of time to express their views. In Sicko this type of scenes are completely missing - people are cherry-picked to agree with Moore's opinions, and in some cases he pretty much tells his subjects what to say. It isn't very insightful documentary film-making.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Wednesday, February 11th, 2009
Will You Help Me With My Next Film? ...a request from Michael Moore

Friends,

I am in the middle of shooting my next movie and I am looking for a few brave people who work on Wall Street or in the financial industry to come forward and share with me what they know. Based on those who have already contacted me, I believe there are a number of you who know "the real deal" about the abuses that have been happening. You have information that the American people need to hear. I am humbly asking you for a moment of courage, to be a hero and help me expose the biggest swindle in American history.

All correspondence with me will be kept confidential. Your identity will be protected and you will decide to what extent you wish to participate in telling the greatest crime story ever told.

The important thing here is for you to step up as an American and do your duty of shedding some light on this financial collapse. A few good people have already come forward, which leads me to believe there are many more of you out there who know what's going on. Here's your chance to let your fellow citizens in on the truth.

If you have any info that would help, please contact me at my private email address: [email]bailout@michaelmoore.com.[/email]

For the rest of you on my email list who don't work in the financial industry, you're probably wondering, "What the heck is this all about? I thought he said he was making a romantic comedy!"

Well, I just can't say much right now. I'm sure you can understand why. One thing I can tell you is that you're gonna like this movie when I'm done with it. Oh, yeah...

So, again, if you work for a bank, a brokerage firm or an insurance company -- or if you have seen things or heard things that you believe the American people have a right to know -- please contact me at [email]bailout@michaelmoore.com.[/email]

Thank you in advance for your help!

Yours,
Michael Moore
bailout@michaelmoore.com
MichaelMoore.com

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/message/index.php?id=245

Return to “2009”