RIP Gabriel Garcia Marquez

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
Okri
Tenured

Re: RIP Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Post by Okri »

For me when I'm reading, I often read the ending/second half etc faster than the first equivalent. I've gotten so into it that I cease to realize time is passing by and I seem to read faster. With Love in the Time of Cholera and 100 Years of Solitude, I found myself deliberately slowing down, to spend more time with his words and his worlds. He lived to tell the tale, indeed.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Re: RIP Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Post by Sonic Youth »

"Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice."

100 Years is particularly special because it was one of several books I bought during one of my trips to India, published by Penguin Books India, 250 rupees. I have it in my hands now. Time for a re-read.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Re: RIP Gabriel Garcia Marquez:

Post by The Original BJ »

He was, unquestionably, one of the giant literary figures of our era. I read Love in the Time of Cholera first, in high school, and adored its amazing blend of everyday grit and flights of fancy. And then, in college, I got to 100 Years of Solitude, one of the most remarkable books I've ever had the pleasure to read -- wildly funny, devastating, full of rich local color and magical realism, and with an incredible structure that weaves past and present effortlessly into one narrative.

An amazing writer. God bless.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: RIP Gabriel Garcia Marquez:

Post by Mister Tee »

Well, no one lives forever. He leaves behind a treasury of great literary work -- Chronicle of a Death Foretold, Love in the Time of Cholera, The General in His Labyrinth, and, above all, One Hundred Years of Solitude, which is definitely in the conversation for my favorite book ever.
Greg
Tenured

RIP Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Post by Greg »

Last edited by Greg on Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”