R.I.P. June Reimer Springer

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

R.I.P. June Reimer Springer

Post by Reza »

June Reimer Springer, Actress and Singer, Dies at 85

October 3, 2013 | 04:17PM PT Variety by Carmel Dagan

Actress and singer June Reimer Springer died on Sept. 27 in Chico, Calif. She was 85.

Reimer appeared in several musicals on Broadway, including “Kiss Me Kate,” for which she recalled auditioning before Cole Porter; Sigmund Romberg’s “My Romance”; and “Three Wishes for Jamie.” She also did national tours in works including Romberg’s “The Student Prince,” in which she starred as the Princess.

In the 1950s, Reimer, under the stage name Monica Lane, and crooner Cass Franklin were a popular singing duo playing New York nightclubs such as the Latin Quarter, early TV variety shows such as “The Colgate Comedy Hour” and Catskills resorts (Lane’s publicity pin-up became the source material for Roy Lichtenstein’s famous “Girl With Ball,” in New York City’s MoMA).

Born in Hackensack, N.J., to Alice and Rudolph Reimer, she grew up in Bogota N.J. and became a professional singer at 18.

In 1953 Reimer married John Springer, who became a noted film and theater public relations agent. The couple enjoyed the glamour of the New York and international entertainment, arts and journalism worlds.

She is survived by a son, film press agent Gary Springer; two daughters; five grandchildren; and her sister.

A memorial will be held later in October in New York City at the Players Club.

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”