R.I.P. Frances Tannehill

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

R.I.P. Frances Tannehill

Post by Reza »

Published in The New York Times on August 18, 2013

FRANCES TANNEHILL

TANNEHILL--Frances. Broadway actress and lifelong New Yorker, died on August 5th in Manhattan. She was 90. Known for her stunning looks as well as her talents as a dramatic and comedic actress, Ms. Tannehill started her Broadway career at age 8 in the play "Purity". She attended Professional Children's School in Manhattan, which enabled her to perform and keep up with her studies while touring. Ms. Tannehill was cast in Cole Porter's 1938 Broadway musical "Leave it to Me", starring Mary Martin, Sophie Tucker and Gene Kelly. In 1940, she appeared on Broadway in "Keep off the Grass", choreographed by George Balanchine and starring Jimmy Durante, Ray Bolger, and Jane Froman. Ms. Tannehill joined the Broadway cast of "Othello" in 1943, starring Paul Robeson, Uta Hagen and Jose Ferrer. At age 19, Ms. Tannehill met actor Alexander Clark during the Broadway revival of "Counsellor-at-Law", starring Paul Muni. They married in 1945 and honeymooned in Europe on a six month tour with the USO. They remained married for fifty years until Alec Clark's death in 1995. In 1952, the acting couple was hired for a year-long national tour of "Call Me Madam" starring Elaine Stritch. Ms. Tannehill also performed with Helen Hayes, Dame Flora Robson, Sarah Churchill, Jessica Tandy, Lillian Gish and Michael Redgrave. TV and radio performances included episodes on The Alcoa Hour, Kraft Television Theatre and Theatre Guild on the Air. Ms. Tannehill was the 3rd generation performer from an American theatrical family dating back to the 1850s. Her father, Frank Tannehill Jr. was an actor, playwright and lyricist. Her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Tannehill performed throughout the U.S. In 1857, they were part of the ensemble company at Philadelphia's Arch Street Theatre. John Wilkes Booth joined the company that year. For over 25 years, Ms. Tannehill created and performed one woman shows recounting her own theatrical experiences and those of other notable people in the arts. Since 1995, she was President of Twelfth Night Club, Inc.; the oldest extant club for women of the theatre in the U.S. She will be remembered with love and admiration for her bright mind, her vibrant charm, her beautiful voice and wonderful theatre recollections. She is survived by her daughter Nicole Clark, of Manhattan. Memorial contributions may be made to The Actor's Fund.

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”