R.I.P. Harold 'Stumpy' Cromer

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: R.I.P. Harold 'Stumpy' Cromer

Post by Mister Tee »

This saddens me. I knew Stumpy a little, from hanging around Barrrymore's in the early 80s. A very sweet guy.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

R.I.P. Harold 'Stumpy' Cromer

Post by Reza »

Broadway and vaudeville pioneer Harold 'Stumpy' Cromer is dead

Cromer made his debut in 'DuBarry Was a Lady.' Went on to a long career as a dancer and comic.

By David Hinckley / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS -- Sunday, June 9, 2013, 1:49 PM

Harold "Stumpy" Cromer, a well-known tap dancer and comedian for more than half a century on television, Broadway, theater and vaudeville stages, died Saturday. He was 92.

Cromer had been in declining health.

Cromer made his Broadway debut in "DuBarry Was a Lady" with Ethel Merman, Bert Lahr and Betty Grable, dancing and joining comic sketches. He later toured with the show.

Toward the end of World War II, he joined James Cross in the dance team Stump and Stumpy.

Besides touring, they made regular appearances on Milton Berle's TV variety show and were featured in episodes of "Dragnet" and "Gunsmoke."

In an interview several years ago, Cromer recalled early television as "very hectic," because it was all done live.

"It forced you to get in and out of your routine quickly," he said. "But after years at places like the Apollo, we had that discipline anyway."

Stump and Stumpy toured or performed with most of the major stars of the era, including Duke Ellington, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Billie Holiday, Franchot Tone and Ella Fitzgerald.

When rock 'n' roll took over the live entertainment game, Cromer became an emcee and toured with artists like LaVern Baker, with whom he danced while she sang "Jim Dandy."

He remained active into his 80s, dancing and playing in cabaret shows.

A lifelong New Yorker, Cromer was born in Hell's Kitchen and began dancing on the streets before he was a teenager, making "nickels and dimes" to help support his family in the early days of the Depression.

He later became an accomplished jazz tap dancer, but he enlivened his act in his early days with novelty routines like tapping on roller skates.

After his family later moved to Harlem, he began working in places like the Kit Kat Club. He developed his own routines and, sometimes with Cross, wrote his own sketches.

He lived for the last several decades in midtown and said that one of his goals was to ensure that entertainers today, "who are making the money we never did," don't forget the pioneers.

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”