R.I.P. Nick Cordero

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: R.I.P. Nick Cordero

Post by Mister Tee »

For all the months I've been reading about him, I thought he was a Broadway actor I'd never seen (there are a lot of those). But now I see he was the guy in the Chazz Palminteri part in Bullets over Broadway. The loss is a bit more focused now.

He TRULY struggled with this -- it's been months we've been reading about him. And, as many have pointed out, he was young and not medically compromised, undercutting the "it's only old people at risk" argument. Greatly sad.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Big Magilla wrote:Yes, very sad. Another reminder that this terrible virus is indiscriminate. Younger people may be less vulnerable on the whole but anyone who gets it and is hospitalized can succumb to it. I don't understand the attitude of so many young people that if they get it, they'll get over it. It's as stupid as the in-denial Trumpers who refuse to wear a mask.

Full story here. I was surprised that he was hospitalized in Los Angeles. I thought he was in New York all this time.
Based on his wife's Instagram, they had literally just finished moving a couple of weeks before he went into the hospital. I believe he was performing in the new staging of Rock of Ages at the Hollywood Bowl when he got sick.
Jefforey Smith
Graduate

Post by Jefforey Smith »

I've been following his condition online via his wife's Instagram. It shows we all have to be careful at this crazy time.

RIP.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

R.I.P. Nick Cordero

Post by Big Magilla »

Yes, very sad. Another reminder that this terrible virus is indiscriminate. Younger people may be less vulnerable on the whole but anyone who gets it and is hospitalized can succumb to it. I don't understand the attitude of so many young people that if they get it, they'll get over it. It's as stupid as the in-denial Trumpers who refuse to wear a mask.

Full story here. I was surprised that he was hospitalized in Los Angeles. I thought he was in New York all this time.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/br ... s-n1232943
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Nick Cordero

Post by Sabin »

I'm assuming there was somme original title that I missed. I'd prefer not to know.

"How's the despair?"
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Devastatingly sad news.

Knowing what he went through makes me even more angry that so many people do not take this seriously.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

He has passed away from complications due to COVID-19.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

What was the original title of this thread?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It wasn't meant to be ghoulish, though I can see how some might take it that way. And, yes, I have had friends and relatives who have gone through amputations for medical reasons, but I've never known anyone who had to face such an ordeal unawares. It's literally a war we're in and anyone who doesn't think so at this point has their head in the sand.

In any event, I removed the offending title.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Mister Tee wrote: I'm guessing that's what Sonic meant with the NY Post reference; it seems like the sort of thoughtless thing they'd come up with.
Yes indeed.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I have to tell you, Magilla, when I saw the title of the thread, I thought to myself, God, I hope that's not related to the Cordero story. I know you're a good soul and would never mean something ill, but that heading struck me as callous in the circumstance; if he were a friend of mine, I'd be furious. I'm guessing that's what Sonic meant with the NY Post reference; it seems like the sort of thoughtless thing they'd come up with.

Again, I know you wouldn't intend this, but it came off sour, to me.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I know the NY Post covered it, but I didn't see that headline before or after I wrote it. Anyway, it's a well-known movie reference that any or many could have come up with.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I think the NY Post headline writer hacked into Magilla's account.

(Yes, I know where it's from...)
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

R.I.P. Nick Cordero

Post by Big Magilla »

One of the ongoing horrors of the coronavirus pandemic:

41-year-old Broadway actor and new father Nick Cordero (Bullets over Broadway, A Bronx Tale) has been in a coma for ten days. If and when he wakes up he will find that he is missing a leg due to an amputation to control circulation and clotting issues.

https://www.etonline.com/nick-corderos- ... d-covid-19

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”